NV- Question on NFL QB's

Nasavol

More and more QB's are coming out early i.e., before their senior year. And for the life of me, I cannot think of but a handful that had success in the NFL. Seems like I read something somewhere that a coach/GM had some chart showing among other things the number of starts (I think around 30 and it might have been Parcells). Now with kids starting sooner in their college careers this may not matter, but can you very intelligent guys chime in with some successful early entries?

Bledsoe would be 1 I can think of off the bat
Newton would be another, Mariota -TBD

More and more QB's are coming out early i.e., before their senior year. And for the life of me, I cannot think of but a handful that had success in the NFL. Seems like I read something somewhere that a coach/GM had some chart showing among other things the number of starts (I think around 30 and it might have been Parcells). Now with kids starting sooner in their college careers this may not matter, but can you very intelligent guys chime in with some successful early entries?

Bledsoe would be 1 I can think of off the bat
Newton would be another, Mariota -TBD

The money is the deciding factor.. Average to poor QB's make bank.. Bray in making 450k this yea and may not take a snap.. The deal is just get there and stick

The money is the deciding factor.. Average to poor QB's make bank.. Bray in making 450k this yea and may not take a snap.. The deal is just get there and stick

I get that, and, really don't blame them (bird in the hand thing), but, would they be making exponentially more if they had stayed?

I get that, and, really don't blame them (bird in the hand thing), but, would they be making exponentially more if they had stayed?

Only a few turn into to starters.. Basically half the league have starter they like the others don't.. and then are 5 or less than are elite. Look at Matt Cassel.. Made a fortune being mediocre

Only a few turn into to starters.. Basically half the league have starter they like the others don't.. and then are 5 or less than are elite. Look at Matt Cassel.. Made a fortune being mediocre

Think you are missing the spirit of the question. Let me phrase it another way, Would the highly drafted non-sr QB's be better served by staying another year?

Think you are missing the spirit of the question. Let me phrase it another way, Would the highly drafted non-sr QB's be better served by staying another year?

Jake Locker was projected as the #1 QB after his junior year and a top 3 pick. He sucked as a senior and the Titans got him with like the 10th or 11th pick. It's a risk reward, if there are only 3 good pro style QBs going in the draft might as well toss your hat in and hope a team grabs you early because they are desperate

Reactions: 1 person

If they aren't being thrown to the wolves too early, I think a year of NFL coaching > year of NCAA coaching

Reactions: 1 person
Jake Locker was projected as the #1 QB after his junior year and a top 3 pick. He sucked as a senior and the Titans got him with like the 10th or 11th pick. It's a risk reward, if there are only 3 good pro style QBs going in the draft might as well toss your hat in and hope a team grabs you early because they are desperate

And it set for life.. Think her deal was for 22mil

It's less about age and more about experience. Mariota came out after his junior year but that's because he had redshirted his first year at Oregon and then started 3 full years after that. He had more playing experience after his junior year than a ton of guys get through their senior years.

It is all about the $$$ to these young men. So, it depends on the strength of that particular draft. You want to be a first round pick. Therefore, you typically need to be one of top 3-4 quarterbacks. So, you look at the others to see where you stack up in that specific year.

Would staying another year in college have helped RGIII? I don't think so; he was in the wrong system. Tim Tebow stayed in the wrong system for his senior year and it didn't help him in the pros.

This. School will definitely still be an option when they get done with the NFL. I really don't think a senior year is the difference between NFL success and failure, so it's a good gamble to come out early, if you think your stock is as high as it will get.

VN Store

Back