RIP Buddy Ryan

Never forget

gilbride-gets-punched-o.gif

I am glad I was old enough and into football enough to witness that '85 Bears defense.

Reactions: 1 person
Never forget

gilbride-gets-punched-o.gif

From the 1993 Houston Oilers season (12-4).

Conflict had arisen between defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan and offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride. Ryan had been criticizing Gilbride's "run and shoot" offense, referring to it as the "chuck and duck." Ryan felt that last-minute stands cost him two players to injury when the offense could have simply just run the ball and killed the clock.

At the end of the first half in the final game of the season, a national broadcast against the New York Jets, Gilbride called a pass play, and when Cody Carlson fumbled the snap, Ryan started yelling at Gilbride, who started walking towards Ryan, yelling back. When they were in arms length, Ryan punched Gilbride and two players quickly separated them.

Also fun fact:

1993 was the only 18-week NFL season. The NFL tried to have a 16-game season across 18 weeks to expand revenue, but teams felt that having two weeks off during the regular season was too disruptive for their weekly routines.

Has there ever been a coach in professional sports more beloved by his players?
That's actually a very good question. Ryan was beloved and he could have convinced his players to line up against a pack of wolves they loved and believed in him that much

"QBs are over-rated, pompous bastards and must be punished."

-Buddy Ryan

There was a 30/30 on ESPN on the 85 Bears and a good bit was focused on Buddy Ryan. Someone posted earlier about his relationship with his players, they spoke about it a bit, especially with players like Singletary, Duerson, and others. Many regard the 85 Bears defense as the best ever, but that 88 Eagle defense with White, Waters, Simmons, Brown, and Allen was pretty damn good.

May be the only time this has happened to a coordinator at the SB - I think it was at least the first time:

gettyimages-52636620.jpg

Seeing Mike Singletary's visit with Buddy at his ranch put it in perspective. A hard coach but earned respect. RIP Buddy Ryan!

VN Store

Back