2016 NFL Free Agency Thread

TrueOrange

As we approach the start of the league's year, teams have until 4pm EST today to designate franchise/transition tags.

The next big date is March 9. After 4pm that day, 2015 player contracts expire, players that had been in their last year will become either restricted or unrestricted free agents, and the other NFL teams can begin negotiating with them.

The following players have already been or are expected to be franchise/transition tagged by their respective teams:

• The New York Jets have franchise tagged DE Muhammad Wilkerson.

• The Chicago Bears have franchise tagged WR Alshon Jeffery.

• The Carolina Panthers have used the franchise tag on CB Josh Norman.

• The Miami Dolphins have used the transition tag on DE Olivier Vernon.

• The Denver Broncos have used the franchise tag on OLB Von Miller.

• The Buffalo Bills used the franchise tag on OT Cordy Glenn.

• The Kansas City Chiefs used the franchise tag on FS Eric Berry.

• The L.A. Rams are used a non-exclusive franchise tag on CB Trumaine Johnson.

• The Washington Redskins used a non-exclusive franchise tag on QB Kirk Cousins.

• The Baltimore Ravens used the franchise tag on K Justin Tucker.

Last edited:
He only had 5 sacks last year and would have counted $19 mil against their cap (2 years left on contract). Probably doesn't help the discussion that he was 31.

Why did I think he was under 27? Jesus, the last few years have flown by.

Reactions: 1 person
Eric berry getting a huge pay day this year. He definitely deserves it. True VFL and a great great man.

Eric berry getting a huge pay day this year. He definitely deserves it. True VFL and a great great man.

Well he's getting a $10.8M year, unless they negotiate a new contract before the season starts.

Safety's the second-lowest franchise tag amount (behind the $4M for K/P).

He will get a much bigger one next year. The tag is getting him on the cheap. Would be best for him without the tag and the ability to get a long term contract with guaranteed money.

Last edited:
For public image, Chiefs need to get a deal done with Berry, IMO. He came off cancer treatment and then had an amazing year. They need to pay him. I would hold out if I were him. $10.8M is a joke.

For public image, Chiefs need to get a deal done with Berry, IMO. He came off cancer treatment and then had an amazing year. They need to pay him. I would hold out if I were him. $10.8M is a joke.

They will work out a long term deal with him like they did last year with Houston (who was their tagged player from last year).

Eagles were prepared to make a push for him if it didn't.

I'm sure a lot of teams were, but it seemed more likely - between him and the CB Smith - that unless a new deal was reached, he would be the one getting the tag (especially with the difference in amounts).

You're aware that holding out means he not only has to not play the entire season but also has to pay the fines for almost every day of practices and games he missed throughout the season (among others: $30,000 each day of training camp missed; $70,000 for each mandatory minicamp missed; 1/17th of their contract amount for missing a preseason game; not accruing a season for holding out all year), right?

It's not worth it just because of being franchise tagged (especially with holding out meaning you're not bringing in any contract money, either, while you're paying those fines).

They will work out a long term deal with him like they did last year with Houston (who was their tagged player from last year).

Agreed. He'll most likely get a better contract before the season starts. (Or at worst, by next offseason.)

You're aware that holding out means he not only has to not play the entire season but also has to pay the fines for almost every day of practices and games he missed throughout the season (among others: $30,000 each day of training camp missed; $70,000 for each mandatory minicamp missed; 1/17th of their contract amount for missing a preseason game; not accruing a season for holding out all year), right?

It's not worth it just because of being franchise tagged (especially with holding out meaning you're not bringing in any contract money, either, while you're paying those fines).

I didn't realize that. How can you be fined if you are not under contract? Doesn't make sense.

The Texans release RB Arian Foster.

Panthers release DE Charles Johnson.

Ravens release LB Daryl Smith.

Eagles resign Sam Bradford for a 2 year contract. Pretty good move, especially when you look at the pool of available quarterbacks out there.

Looks like the deal of Alonso/Maxwell to the Dolphins is for a draft pick switch, moving the eagles to #8 and the Dolphins to #13. In addition, the Eagles will receive the Dolphins 4th rounder this year and 5th rounder next year. Wont really know for sure the details until Wednesday.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back