2017 NFL Mock Draft

The Artful Dodger

Fist Baller
Walter Football's 2017 NFL Mock Draft

2017 NFL Mock Draft - WalterFootball.com -Picks 1-16
WalterFootball.com: 2017 NFL Mock Draft: First Round Continued -Picks 17-32

7. New Orleans Saints: Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee

Derek Barnett had a whopping 10 sacks as a freshman and recorded that same number in his second season at Tennessee. He can help a New Orleans pass rush that has no one who can get to the quarterback from the exterior, save for Cameron Jordan.

22. Oakland Raiders: Jalen Reeves-Maybin, LB, Tennessee

The Raiders were incredibly poor at linebacker last season. They struggled immensely against tight ends as a result, so this is an area that needs to be fixed.

*Interestingly, his colleague also had Barnett also going #7 to the Saints, but had Reeves-Maybin going #23 to the Colts. I found it interesting that none of the projections had Sutton going in the first round. There are a lot of variables that could affect these projections, but I just wanted to get Volnation's thoughts on their projections and where you think Tennessee players should go.

Attachments

• coffee talk.png
    coffee talk.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 98
While this guy isn't correct very often, he puts out a lot of fun articles. I love these future mocks. He also does a lot of work around fantasy draft time.

Reactions: 1 person
He was projected as a 2nd rounder for 2016. Why would he not be able to work his way into the 1st round a year from now? It's hardly a stretch.

It most certainly is a stretch. He's a great football player, but he's not going to be a LB at the next
level, and teams dont spend 1st round picks on untested projects. Sorry.

It most certainly is a stretch. He's a great football player, but he's not going to be a LB at the next

:lolabove:

First of all, he IS going to play LB in the league. Maybe you should communicate your scouting report to the actual scouts who have weighed in on JRM.
But for this post, let's assume that you're correct and he's an "untested" player who will be trying out a new position in the NFL.
Let's look at a former #1 overall pick, Jadeveon Clowney. He was specifically drafted to play a position that is not what he played in college. But I get it, that's going from one defensive scheme to another and that happens A LOT. Sure! How about Shaq Thompson this year. He played RUNNING BACK and Safety at Washington last year. He was drafted 25th overall specifically to play OLB last year.
My favorite part of your post is that "untested" players don't get drafted in the first round. Serious question, have you ever heard of Carson Wentz? This is a guy that missed a bit of his senior year at North Dakota State due to injury. He's still going to be drafted top ten this year. Kiper and McShay believe he really might go second overall. Again, this is a guy from North Dakota State. Watch his game film and I challenge you to find any footage whatsoever that shows him being "tested".
My point is that especially for the second half of the NFL Draft, you never know what is going to happen. If JRM is a projected 2nd rounder before Bob Shoop gets his hands on him, it's absolutely a possibility to see him in the first round for 2017.

He has similar measurements and characteristics with this guy (I'd even argue he's a better tackler out of college). I'd say he's done pretty well in the league...

Thomas Davis 2005 NFL Draft Profile - ESPN

:lolabove:

First of all, he IS going to play LB in the league. Maybe you should communicate your scouting report to the actual scouts who have weighed in on JRM.
But for this post, let's assume that you're correct and he's an "untested" player who will be trying out a new position in the NFL.
Let's look at a former #1 overall pick, Jadeveon Clowney. He was specifically drafted to play a position that is not what he played in college. But I get it, that's going from one defensive scheme to another and that happens A LOT. Sure! How about Shaq Thompson this year. He played RUNNING BACK and Safety at Washington last year. He was drafted 25th overall specifically to play OLB last year.
My favorite part of your post is that "untested" players don't get drafted in the first round. Serious question, have you ever heard of Carson Wentz? This is a guy that missed a bit of his senior year at North Dakota State due to injury. He's still going to be drafted top ten this year. Kiper and McShay believe he really might go second overall. Again, this is a guy from North Dakota State. Watch his game film and I challenge you to find any footage whatsoever that shows him being "tested".
My point is that especially for the second half of the NFL Draft, you never know what is going to happen. If JRM is a projected 2nd rounder before Bob Shoop gets his hands on him, it's absolutely a possibility to see him in the first round for 2017.

He didn't receive a 2nd round grade, did he?

I know that he was being mocked as a 2-3 round prospect in late December. I cited a CBS Sports mock on my podcast with that projection the week of Christmas.

Not sure if he will make it in the 1st round, really depends on a lot that goes on this year, but he will definitely play LB at the next level.

So a guy who had better stats than the so called best LB in the SEC is an untested project? Ok.

VN Store

Back