Irsay and Colts all-in on Luck?

2ez2dv8

Eligible for an extension there are talks of a record breaking contract

"It’s going to be a big number. It’s going to be a shocking number, nine figures and probably a 20 (million) starting point per year, but again we will find the right number to get to." - J Irsay

The flip side, Luck's history of injury and '15's regression the Colts should exercise caution and protect their interests in the event of an un-lucky mishap

BBpoOYQ.img

lol @ Kaepernick on that list

Yep, though the $61m guaranteed is a misleading, even inaccurate. A $12m signing bonus, $100k workout bonus, and a $645k base were all that were "fully" guaranteed. From 2015-2020 there is a de-escalation clause that could cost him $12m if certain objectives (make the SB or All-Pro squad, for instance) aren't met

lol @ Kaepernick on that list

Think Chip has the potential with his offense to turn his career around and make him worth the money? He'll have a shot at redemption. Hey, Alex Smith has turned it around. I never thought that guy would be any good after his first few years in the league when he just looked meh. His numbers are a lot better these days. Surprised by his turn around.

I don't know that Luck regressed too much in '15, I think he just played injured. That being said, they need to be careful about how much they invest in him. You can build a SB winner by investing everything in the QB, but it's hard to build a dynasty that way. Irsay wants a dynasty. He wasn't happy with the 1 SB with Peyton.

I don't know that Luck regressed too much in '15, I think he just played injured. That being said, they need to be careful about how much they invest in him. You can build a SB winner by investing everything in the QB, but it's hard to build a dynasty that way. Irsay wants a dynasty. He wasn't happy with the 1 SB with Peyton.

True, he played injured, and a lacerated kidney is not to be taken lightly however, his in-game decision making was questionable and as a whole 2015 was the worst of his career, so by definition he regressed. The off-season will be interesting

Luck will be a perennial Pro Bowler. The Colts should absolutely do whatever it takes to lock him up.

Think Chip has the potential with his offense to turn his career around and make him worth the money? He'll have a shot at redemption. Hey, Alex Smith has turned it around. I never thought that guy would be any good after his first few years in the league when he just looked meh. His numbers are a lot better these days. Surprised by his turn around.

Smith is good at short passes, and has looked good because he never throws long ones. Kaepernick is the opposite, so while I think Kelly can make him look good, he's never going to live up to the early hype because he's inaccurate on the bread-and-butter throws. He's a hell of an athlete though.

Luck's contract probably SHOULD break the record, to be honest. Cam has accomplished more than him, but he hadn't when he signed that extension.

In this modern era of colossal QB contracts, is there anybody with 2+ SBs after becoming among the top paid? I believe Brady and Big Ben only have 1 each. Manning has 2, but for 2 different teams and he restructured (on both SBs?).

I hope they never sniff another one.

I don't blame Irsay for cutting Manning and drafting Luck. That was just a rare situation to be in. However, I don't like some of the things Irsay has said regarding Manning, the one who made his franchise relevant in Indianapolis, since moving on. Also the guy just sounds like a general POS human being.

Elway promised Manning he would do whatever it takes to get him to the SB again. First he gave him an offense. When. That fell flat in the SB he gave him a defense.

In this modern era of colossal QB contracts, is there anybody with 2+ SBs after becoming among the top paid? I believe Brady and Big Ben only have 1 each. Manning has 2, but for 2 different teams and he restructured (on both SBs?).

Brady, Ben, Eli, and Peyton (for the moment) are the only active 2+ SB winners. And Russell Wilson is the only other multi SB appearance active QB.

Reactions: 2 people
Eligible for an extension there are talks of a record breaking contract

"It’s going to be a big number. It’s going to be a shocking number, nine figures and probably a 20 (million) starting point per year, but again we will find the right number to get to." - J Irsay

The flip side, Luck's history of injury and '15's regression the Colts should exercise caution and protect their interests in the event of an un-lucky mishap

BBpoOYQ.img

Not sure what you mean by "history of injury" I guess technically he did regress but he was hurt early on and played too long injured probably.

The O line has been terrible and def less that average. Irsay has to do whatever it takes to keep him but at the same time they have to improve running game, oline and def. They better not make the same mistakes with Luck, like they did with Peyton.

Five moves the Colts, Jags, Titans and Texans should make this offseason - NFL

Indianapolis Colts

1. Hand Andrew Luck a blank contract, and let him fill in the terms.
Not figuratively -- literally. Hand Andrew Luck a contract signed by Jim Irsay, Ryan Grigson, Chuck Pagano, whoever else has to look it over, whatever. Just leave the terms of the deal blank, and let Luck fill them in. The Colts can't afford to let Luck go, and their best chance of getting him to take a below-market deal might be to try to guilt him into taking less money (also knowing he's smart enough to not wreck their cap from a team-building standpoint). No professional team has followed the Radiohead pay-what-you-want model for "In Rainbows." This is the time to start.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back