GOAT QB Resumes - MY 5

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
To me, any one of these guys has a legit case, but Manning getting 2 really hurts Marino because he has the stats too and that's the one thing Marino had over these guys.

Montana
Good career stats
4 SBs, 4 appearances
2 MVPs

Brady
Very good stats
4 SBs, 6 appearances
2 MVPs

Elway
Very good stats
2 SBs, 5 appearances
1 MVP

Marino
Elite stats
0 SBs, 1 appearance
1 MVP

Manning
Elite stats
2 SBs, 4 appearances
5 MVPs

I stuck with SB era (so no Unitas). Who ya got?

What about Steve Young and Troy Aikmen? And Eli?

I think Brady is a clear number 1 when people are truly objective. Beyond that, I'd probably say Montana at 2, Elway at 3, Peyton at 4, and no clue at number 5.

Reactions: 2 people

I think Brady is a clear number 1 when people are truly objective. Beyond that, I'd probably say Elway at 2, Montana at 3, Peyton at 4, and no clue at number 5.

They don't belong in the GOAT conversation.

Reactions: 3 people
I see Brady with a good three high level years left, unless he suddenly ages overnight before then like they all do. He is only 14 wins behind Manning/Favre for most regular season wins. He should get that in two years easy. When his career is over it will be hard to not put him at the top. No one will have more wins or SBs than him. And afterall, it's really just all about wins and titles. In game stats are just for fun.

Reactions: 1 person
Montana, Manning, Brady, take your pick. A case can be made for all 3, so might as well leave it at that.

I think Brady is a clear number 1 when people are truly objective. Beyond that, I'd probably say Montana at 2, Elway at 3, Peyton at 4, and no clue at number 5.

Aikman just doesn't have the stats. If he had Montana type heroics, maybe. He's somewhere in between Bradshaw and Montana.

Eli hasn't been consistently good like all 5 on my list.

Steve Young is close, but he only had like 140 starts. His career wasn't long enough to pad the resume.

They don't belong in the GOAT conversation.

Steve Young, in his relatively short prime (mid-late 90's), was one of the best QBs I've ever watched. There was a 4-5 year window in which I thought he was every bit as good, if not a smidge better, than Montana or Elway were at any point in their careers.

Steve Young, in his relatively short prime (mid-late 90's), was one of the best QBs I've ever watched. There was a 4-5 year window in which I thought he was every bit as good, if not a smidge better, than Montana or Elway were at any point in their careers.

Agreed. His mobility was devastating. It kept the defense honest and he picked them apart with his arm.

Based on resume, it's hard to disagree, but when you qualify it with the fact that he played his entire career with BB (the GOAT coach) it makes it less clear that Brady is the GOAT. How many does Elway win with BB, you know?

I'd say Montana over Brady. Compare their Super Bowl stats:

Brady: 13 TD, 4 INT in 6 Super Bowls
Montana: 11 TD, 0 INT in 4 Super Bowls

Based on resume, it's hard to disagree, but when you qualify it with the fact that he played his entire career with BB (the GOAT coach) it makes it less clear that Brady is the GOAT. How many does Elway win with BB, you know?

Or Manning? Or Montana? Or Aaron Rodgers? Or Favre?

Last edited:
I'm not sure why Brady keeps being punished for playing for a great coach. It's not like Belichick was tearing it up before Brady. He's had one losing season in New England, 2000, which is also the only season Brady didn't start any regular season games. Does Montana get punished because he had Walsh as coach for most of his Super Bowls?

Reactions: 3 people
I'm not sure why Brady keeps being punished for playing for a great coach. It's not like Belichick was tearing it up before Brady. He's had one losing season in New England, 2000, which is also the only season Brady didn't start any regular season games. Does Montana get punished because he had Walsh as coach for most of his Super Bowls?

Are you saying BB isn't the GOAT? Dude won 2 titles as a DC and 4 as an HC. Only 1 of those teams didn't have incredible D.

Brady isn't penalized. It's just a qualification. Yes, when evaluating Montana you have to consider he played with Rice and under Walsh. With Manning you have to consider he had great weapons but a carousel of coaches. With Brady you have to recognize he had a great coach and great D. Etc.

Are you saying BB isn't the GOAT? Dude won 2 titles as a DC and 4 as an HC. Only 1 of those teams didn't have incredible D.

Brady isn't penalized. It's just a qualification. Yes, when evaluating Montana you have to consider he played with Rice and under Walsh. With Manning you have to consider he had great weapons but a carousel of coaches. With Brady you have to recognize he had a great coach and great D. Etc.

I'm not sure how you got that from what I said.

My point was Brady is criticized by some for benefiting from being with BB, i.e. take him away from BB and he's average, yet BB's success as a HC in NE coincides with Brady taking over as starter. That's why I pointed out the only losing season BB has had in NE was 2000, when Brady didn't start at all. The only 2 other seasons the Pats didn't make the playoffs were 2002 and 2008, and 2008 was when Brady went out the first game with his injury.

As far as Brady not being penalized, you apparently don't read the posts around here. I get this place is highly biased, but still.

Reactions: 2 people
chuck noll should give BB a run for his money on goat coaches...so should Bill Walsh. and Lombardi.

Montana, Manning, Brady, take your pick. A case can be made for all 3, so might as well leave it at that.

This. I give Joe the slight edge because of Super Bowl performances he's flawless. But great arguments can be made for all 3. Props to PM for being able to step back into Trent Dilfer mode to win this one, not many greats would be willing to do that.

To me, any one of these guys has a legit case, but Manning getting 2 really hurts Marino because he has the stats too and that's the one thing Marino had over these guys.

Montana
Good career stats
4 SBs, 4 appearances
2 MVPs

Brady
Very good stats
4 SBs, 6 appearances
2 MVPs

Elway
Very good stats
2 SBs, 5 appearances
1 MVP

Marino
Elite stats
0 SBs, 1 appearance
1 MVP

Manning
Elite stats
2 SBs, 4 appearances
5 MVPs

I stuck with SB era (so no Unitas). Who ya got?

The one thing in Marino's favor in the argument is talent around him. Clayton and Duper were good, but who knows if Marino made them better than they really were. Who's his best RB, Abdul-Jabbar? The line and D were iffy the majority of the time. Shula while great, was slipping. IMO

I agree on all points about Marino. The dude was gonna get his, no matter what...just didn't have a SB team.

VN Store

Back