The Sissy-fication of the NFL

VolinNooga14

Royale With Cheese.
This is frustratingly becoming a league I do not care to watch. The hypersensitivity surrounding player safety has completely castrated the league of any resemblance to its former self. QBs might as well be off limits for contact, the legal "hit zone" is akin to a baseball strike zone, and don't even think about hitting someone before they see you coming and you have an opportunity to discuss it before hand. God forbid he is deemed defenseless!!

I don't want to see people get hurt. I really don't, but that is an inherent risk you take when you step on the field. They are handsomely paid for the risk. To eliminate the savage nature of the sport is to strip it of everything that is pure.

Bring back my father's NFL.

Reactions: 1 person
We should totally go back to ignoring concussions and pretending they don't mean anything. I'm sure Junior Seau's daughter would totally agree.

No you want to see people get hurt. It's fine to admit it.

I agree with this statement. It might be like if NASCAR, which I don't watch, isn't having enough wrecks and injuries, they've been sissified with the newer rules. Blood spilled by our gladiators regardless of the consequences to them is what some want.

It's 2015, we're not as stupid or ignorant as we were in the past.

We should totally go back to ignoring concussions and pretending they don't mean anything. I'm sure Junior Seau's daughter would totally agree.

You honestly do not think these guys do not know what they are getting themselves into? As if the inherent danger of running full speed into another human being and getting hurt is a new concept? If they don't realize that before they step on the field than any potential damage is a non event...there is nothing there to damage in the first place.

I have no issue with penalties for legitimite unnecessary roughness, but in every game I've seen the past few years they throw a flag for any and every type of "aggressive" play. What sport are we playing?

Last edited:
I agree with this statement. It might be like if NASCAR, which I don't watch, isn't having enough wrecks and injuries, they've been sissified with the newer rules. Blood spilled by our gladiators regardless of the consequences to them is what some want.

It's 2015, we're not as stupid or ignorant as we were in the past.

I agree with your last sentence, but I don't see how any fan can watch a game and not think that it is overly sensitive....to the fault of damaging the competitive aspect. I'm apparently on an island here....and that is fine. I just preferred the old days when QBs got sacked without there being a flag thrown.

Of course the players know what they're getting themselves into - violence. But that doesnt mean they won't sue the NFL later in life for the injuries they suffered. The NFL, as a business, does not care if these guys get hurt, but their bottom line does. The NFL is trying to mitigate future lawsuits by introducing new programs.

I agree the NFL continues to become unwatchable. So many penalties, you can't touch the QBs or even put your hand on the receivers meanwhile the receivers who are usually much larger can push off any time they want. We have to have 5 paragraphs to tell the refs what a catch is. I want these guys to be as safe as possible but the players do assume some responsibility, do they really think getting hit by someone who weighs 280lbs and running 17mph is going to be good for their long term health?

I agree the NFL continues to become unwatchable. So many penalties, you can't touch the QBs or even put your hand on the receivers meanwhile the receivers who are usually much larger can push off any time they want. We have to have 5 paragraphs to tell the refs what a catch is. I want these guys to be as safe as possible but the players do assume some responsibility, do they really think getting hit by someone who weighs 280lbs and running 17mph is going to be good for their long term health?

Little bit of hyperbole dont you think? Yes, QBs and way more protected, but almost all of them are franchise players and a ton of money in them.

Little bit of hyperbole dont you think? Yes, QBs and way more protected, but almost all of them are franchise players and a ton of money in them.

I imagine that's what he's trying to say. They are a protected asset by the refs, league, etc (because of the money) (the money that comes from winning, ticket and jersey sales, etc)

I imagine that's what he's trying to say. They are a protected asset by the refs, league, etc.

Not really protected by the refs, they are only calling the game as per the rules voted on by the owners. Want to find who is protecting the QBs in this league, look up at those owner boxes and you will find your answer. The game has evolved into what it is by the actions of the owners and no one else.

Not really protected by the refs, they are only calling the game as per the rules voted on by the owners. Want to find who is protecting the QBs in this league, look up at those owner boxes and you will find your answer. The game has evolved into what it is by the actions of the owners and no one else.

Agree they are protected by the league, but also by refs did you see when Peyton got knocked down last night the head ref ran over to help him up. These are grown men fully padded they know the risks. Would you not agree a lot of the calls/rules are way overboard?

Agree they are protected by the league, but also by refs did you see when Peyton got knocked down last night the head ref ran over to help him up. These are grown men fully padded they know the risks. Would you not agree a lot of the calls/rules are way overboard?

I would not agree.....they are calling the game according to the newer rules, doing their jobs. They actually missed an obvious spearing/helmet to helmet in the Eagles/Falcons game this past Monday night.......if they were overboard, I would think they would have called that blatant example of helmet to helmet.....the league actually fined the guy, but there wasnt a flag thrown.

I have seen refs pick up players many, many, many times. People just pick out one occurrence of it being a QB picked up and assert that they only care about QBs. I see it differently obviously.

I always laugh at the typical Joe Sixpack fan who complains about a game like the NFL becoming "sissy-fied". It must be so easy to be critical sitting on your ass watching the game from the comfort of your living room.

You honestly do not think these guys do not know what they are getting themselves into? As if the inherent danger of running full speed into another human being and getting hurt is a new concept? If they don't realize that before they step on the field than any potential damage is a non event...there is nothing there to damage in the first place.

I have no issue with penalties for legitimite unnecessary roughness, but in every game I've seen the past few years they throw a flag for any and every type of "aggressive" play. What sport are we playing?

So that means they shouldn't work to make the game safer? Cops and the military know what they are getting into as well, so I guess we should tell them to suck it up and stop whining.

Also, here's another idea, you don't have to watch if you don't like it.

I always laugh at the typical Joe Sixpack fan who complains about a game like the NFL becoming "sissy-fied". It must be so easy to be critical sitting on your ass watching the game from the comfort of your living room.

A marvelous "fan experience" would allow the willing to participate in an NFL exhibition game or even a full-speed scrimmage.

Get them to sign all the necessary waivers and suit up. Then spend a half trying to tackle Gronk or Witten coming full bore at them, getting blocked by D.J. Fluker, sacked by Suggs, or hit by Chancellor over the middle.

A marvelous "fan experience" would allow the willing to participate in an NFL exhibition game or even a full-speed scrimmage.

Get them to sign all the necessary waivers and suit up. Then spend a half trying to tackle Gronk or Witten coming full bore at them, getting blocked by D.J. Fluker, sacked by Suggs, or hit by Chancellor over the middle.

I.......Would.......Love.....To......See.......This.

It would end like this:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmBZlGn10vM[/youtube]

For what these guys get paid I am all in, all 6'4" 185lbs I am in.

VN Store

Back