Bray gets 2-year contract extension with the Chiefs

Volunteer_Kirby

Its not what you think...
SIAP.

Backup Tyler Bray has agreed to a two-year, $1.925 million contract extension through 2017, Field Yates of ESPN reports. Although the deal contains no guarantees, it’s a great deal for Bray in one respect: The Chiefs are agreeing to pay Bray’s $510,000 salary this year, even though Bray is on the non-football injury list because he tore his ACL this offseason. Teams are under no obligation to pay players who suffer non-football injuries, but the Chiefs think enough of Bray’s potential that they’re willing to pay him as part of a longer deal to keep him in the fold.

Should be an interesting battle for the #2 spot between him & Aaron Murray as Chase Daniel is expected to be released after this yr.

Reactions: 9 people
good to see a VOL keep in contention. Hope gunslinger can get it together and find play time on Sundays

Reactions: 2 people
Everybody who watched Bray play knows he has an NFL caliber arm. If he continues to develop he could very well start for someone one day.

This contract extension tells me he must be improving. They wouldn't waste time or money on someone they couldn't coach up or that was still as immature as he was during his time here. Especially with a torn ACL.

I am not a fan of his seemingly throwing the Kentucky game but I cannot imagine having his talent and an idiot like Dooley behind the wheel. I may be able to relate if I was in that situation.

Reactions: 3 people
Had a wandering hope that with gaining weight and maturity Bray would make it in the NFL.Kinda lost hope in him with the way he left UT.Glad to hear he is valued enough to be retained during recovery...Go Vols!!!:loco:

Another year studying under Andy Reid is a very good thing for Bray. This is going to be a big year for the Chiefs.

I wish nothing but the best for Bray. Yeah he made some mistakes but who didn't when they were 19-21. He has some really good tools that should make him an excellent NFL QB if he can mature and focus on improving his reads/check-downs. You can bash the kid for having a poor attitude, but the entire culture of the program with Dooley at the helm was, for lack of better term, sh***y. I'm not so sure any of us would've had 'stellar attitudes' with such an obvious buffoon as our coach.

Reactions: 5 people
I wish nothing but the best for Bray. Yeah he made some mistakes but who didn't when they were 19-21. He has some really good tools that should make him an excellent NFL QB if he can mature and focus on improving his reads/check-downs. You can bash the kid for having a poor attitude, but the entire culture of the program with Dooley at the helm was, for lack of better term, sh***y. I'm not so sure any of us would've had 'stellar attitudes' with such an obvious buffoon as our coach.
couldn't agree with you more

Bray was really, really talented. He just didn't trust or like Dooley. Everyone agrees with that now. Bray handled that very poorly by tapping out near the end of the season. However, if had a good coach been here, he would be a guy we would be missing a lot more.

Our offense with Bray at QB was outstanding. We would consistently put up 40-50 points a game with him under center. The problem was our defense was allowing 45-55 a game, which he could do nothig about.
Hope he has a long NFL career.

I think Reid likes Bray--he's the only big-time arm the Chiefs have, though he doesn't exactly fit well with a west-coast-style offense. Bray has matured, we know he can wing it, but what he will need to show, if he ever hopes to start in the league, is that he can read defenses and make the throws needed to move the chains consistently and get the ball in the end zone. Look at PM, Brady (cheater) and Brees: none of them has been a big downfield thrower for years. But they are expert short passers, expert at completing passes and getting positive yardage every time they throw, and expert at making first downs and keeping drives alive. Getting five yards on a second down pass may not seem like much except when compared to an incomplete pass and no yardage, so that you've got, say, third and short as opposed to third and 10. That's what Bray will need to add to his game in addition to the 30-yard rifle pass. It's all about having a very good completion rate--which translates into the 12-play 80-yard drive--which you often don't see with big-armed downfield passers. That will make or break Bray, IMO--that and showing even a bit more mobility than he showed at UT.

Bray was really, really talented. He just didn't trust or like Dooley. Everyone agrees with that now. Bray handled that very poorly by tapping out near the end of the season. However, if had a good coach been here, he would be a guy we would be missing a lot more.

True.

He did not give his all while he was the Tennessee QB, and due to that I don't care what he does now. Good riddance to him.

He has all of the talent in the world from a physical standpoint, but I wonder about the between the ears aspect.

He may not have been the sterling example of everything a VFL should be when he was our QB. But these are young guys at a point in their lives when they're still trying to figure things out. And they've got a lot of responsibilities and a lot of distractions. I won't hold some of his past negative behavior against him.

I'm happy for his success and I think it would be great if he can have a long NFL career.

He did not give his all while he was the Tennessee QB, and due to that I don't care what he does now. Good riddance to him.

He has all of the talent in the world from a physical standpoint, but I wonder about the between the ears aspect.

I agree,after his effort in the Vandy game he forfeited his right to be a VFL.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

I agree,after his effort in the Kentucky game he forfeited his right to be a VFL.

That entire team quit, not just him. Not sure why we pretend its only Bray's fault whenever nobody on that team (with very few exceptions) wanted to do anything for Dooley.

That entire team quit, not just him. Not sure why we pretend its only Bray's fault whenever nobody on that team (with very few exceptions) wanted to do anything for Dooley.

That is true but he was the QB and it was on him to show better leadership.His comments afterwards gave the impression they lost on purpose to avoid a Bowl game

Also I meant the Vandy game not Kentucky.

Good for him. Hopefully he can start somewhere eventually (with a defense).

Tyler bray and sal is the reason we don't have Dooley still . I am forever greatful for those two guys

VN Store

Back