Former QB attempts suicide.

Hate to see that, but suicide is one of the most selfish things a person could do. I pray for his family.

Hate to see that, but suicide is one of the most selfish things a person could do. I pray for his family.

That is absolutely a false statement. There is nothing selfish about suicide. It is the last, desperate attempt to matter or stop hurting.

The amount of pain suffered cannot be measured.

That is a common "complaint" about suicide. It is also wholly false. To judge anyone in that darkest of hour is wrong.

Reactions: 6 people

Your characterization would make sense if the person attempting suicide were in a healthy state of mind. Considering most are in a depressive state of mind where there their thinking is anything but rational, I think it's ignorant to label it "selfish".

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
That is absolutely a false statement. There is nothing selfish about suicide. It is the last, desperate attempt to matter or stop hurting.

The amount of pain suffered cannot be measured.

That is a common "complaint" about suicide. It is also wholly false. To judge anyone in that darkest of hour is wrong.

Not to mention many in that mental state think it's selfish to put their problems on others and they feel they are a burden. Obviously it doesn't make sense to others and it's irrational, but that's why it's so dangerous to be in the mental state they are.

Reactions: 1 person
Your characterization would make sense if the person attempting suicide were in a healthy state of mind. Considering most are in a depressive state of mind where there their thinking is anything but rational, I think it's ignorant to label it "selfish".

Then call me ignorant............just the way I feel about it, JMO

I used to feel this way until I had to deal with it in my family. My dad came very close having to deal with his demons from Vietnam and alcohol for years. I didn't know this till just recently. My wife also deals with PTSD and depression and has fought with it for years now,so no its not a selfish act at all.

Reactions: 2 people
I think it can still be considered a "selfish" act but still understand it's not that it's not their fault. I get what BC is trying to say.

As a whole, he played football for practically two decades. I definitely won't rule out CTE.

it can't be considered selfish if everything in your brain is convincing you that those closest to you won't care if you're gone

Reactions: 1 person
I think it can still be considered a "selfish" act but still understand it's not that it's not their fault. I get what BC is trying to say.

I'm not sure why you'd label it "selfish" then if it's not their fault. It's an unfair judgment.

VN Store

Back