Wow, Pete Carroll...

SAPPER 5

Big Orange Member
That call was absolutely Dooley-esque! You have Marshawn Lynch, who had not been tackled for a loss the entire game, 3 downs, 20 seconds and a timeout... You gotta dance with the girl that brung ya, my friend!

Reactions: 4 people
That call was absolutely Dooley-esque! You have Marshawn Lynch, who had not been tackled for a loss the entire game, 3 downs, 20 seconds and a timeout... You gotta dance with the girl that brung ya, my friend!

Agreed. I hope New England sends Seattle a Thank You card for that gift. Seattle had that game won.

I really try not to second guess playcalls, but that one was really hard to figure.

Do not like Pete, thus one of the best moments in history. EVER.

Dumbest call EVER in biggest moment possible.

Reactions: 2 people
I really try not to second guess playcalls, but that one was really hard to figure.

I'm with you. My wife said "When even I think that was a dumb play call, then it was really a dumb play call".

Reactions: 1 person
I'm with you. My wife said "When even I think that was a dumb play call, then it was really a dumb play call".

Lol, Q.E.D., and I'm not a lawyer! I'm still just amazed by that call, that and the fact that they gave Brady the MVP... Shoulda gone to the kid that intercepted Wilson.

Lol, Q.E.D., and I'm not a lawyer! I'm still just amazed by that call, that and the fact that they gave Brady the MVP... Shoulda gone to the kid that intercepted Wilson.
That free agent rookie doesn't intercept that ball, Seattle scores and wins. He is hands down their MVP.

Carroll is a good coach. But I was saying the whole game to my friend, "They are going to try to be tricky and cute and it'll cost them eventually". On the last drive they threw a long pass to Lynch, got an incredible circus catch to set up the winning score. Thought it was over but good old Pete dialed up a good one. I hate seeing teams in shotgun with people in motion when you have one of the best bulldozers in the backfield at the one yard. Carroll lost that super bowl single-handily. But congrats to the defender, it was actually a very good catch to get the interception.

Super Bowl XLIX -- Darrell Bevell of Seattle Seahawks -- Play call made to kill clock - ESPN

Seattle Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell says he made the play call that may have ultimately cost his team the Super Bowl with the game clock in mind.

The Seahawks had second-and-goal at the New England 1 with 26 second to go Sunday, but instead of giving the ball to Marshawn Lynch, Seattle ran a slant route intended for Ricardo Lockette that was intercepted by Malcolm Butler in the 28-24 loss to the New England Patriots.

"We were conscious of how much time was on the clock and we wanted to use it all," Bevell said. "It didn't turn out the way I hoped it would.

"Of course I can say now I wish we had done something different. There are 20 different things going through my mind that we can do. If you run it that doesn't mean you would score on that play."

Seattle coach Pete Carroll said they made the call based on the New England defensive formation.

"I told you what happened," Carroll said. "We were going to run the ball in to win the game, but not on that play. I didn't want to waste a run play on their goal-line guys. It was a clear thought, but it didn't work out right. The guy [Butler] made a play that no one would have thought he could make."

Seahawks receiver Doug Baldwin said the game "shouldn't have come down to that one play."

"I think we all were surprised,'' said Baldwin when asked why they didn't give it to Lynch. "We still had a timeout and felt we should take a shot. I don't know man. I'm just trying to make up an explanation. Everybody is going to want to blame something or somebody."

Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson said they had succeeded in that position throughout the season.

"I wasn't surprised," Wilson said about the controversial call. "We've done a great job in those situations all year."

The interception came two weeks after Wilson threw four picks in the NFC title game only to rally Seattle to an overtime win over the Green Bay Packers.

"It definitely hurts," Wilson said. "I hate the feeling that I'm the one who lost it. I keep my head up, though. I know that I prepare and I get ready. I know I play my heart out."

Wilson finished 12 of 21 for 247 yards and had two TD passes. He ran for 39 yards and was sacked three times. The third-year pro will hear criticism for his final pass throughout the offseason and longer.

"I hate losing," Wilson said. "It was one play that he made a great play on."

A ridiculous call and proof that sometimes coaches over think things. Why in God's name is he worried about killing clock? There was 20 seconds left in the game and Seattle had like 2 time outs. By the time Lynch ran into the end zone there would have been about 17 or so seconds left. Kick off would've eaten another 3-5 seconds. I would have liked my chances of stopping New England from scoring more than trying to throw a pass that close to the goal line.

One thing you can't underestimate is how hard it is to get 1 yard in the NFL against a goal line set. They went with the safest throw they had and we saw one of the great individual defensive plays of all time.

I still would've run it on 2nd to try and steal a yard, called timeout and thrown on 3rd and run again on 4th but ....

A ridiculous call and proof that sometimes coaches over think things. Why in God's name is he worried about killing clock? There was 20 seconds left in the game and Seattle had like 2 time outs. By the time Lynch ran into the end zone there would have been about 17 or so seconds left. Kick off would've eaten another 3-5 seconds. I would have liked my chances of stopping New England from scoring more than trying to throw a pass that close to the goal line.

Seattle had 1 timeout.

Also probably would have been a touchback, so I'm not sure kickoff would have eaten up any more time.

Pete did what he does...............KILLs Programs.
This Franchise will take some time to get over this, if it ever does.
The absolute worst call in history.
Butt, it couldn't happen to a better guy.
Peteeee has left programs in shambles before and this one takes the cake.
Pete takes the Seabirds from the Penthouse to the Outhouse in ONE fleeting moment and now we have to listen about Brady being the Best there EVER was, is and gonna be .... :crazy:

Pete takes the Seabirds from the Penthouse to the Outhouse in ONE fleeting moment and now we have to listen about Brady being the Best there EVER was, is and gonna be .... :crazy:

Seahawks are the early favorites to win the Super Bowl next year. Hardly the outhouse.

LOL. Well he came within one play of winning back to back Super Bowls so I wouldn't exactly say they're in the outhouse. Look at their division. They will be a fixture at the top of the NFC west as long as they keep playing good D.

The thing that pisses me off is it's a cheap play call that the Patriots get away with all the time. There is a fine line between rubbing off DBs, and completely blocking them, and the Seahawks did not run a clean rub. Serves them right. But it's not like the Patriots are the team that should get the benefit of karma there.

VN Store

Back