NFL to hold veteran combine

OrngeChkrboardVFL

According a report on ESPN, the NFL is going to hold a veteran combine about a month after the college combine. The report says that it is for any young or old veteran unsigned free agent, but also mentions that about 100 players will be there to showcase talent. Tim Tebow may still have a chance? Any Vols that you can think of that might be there?

Edit: Oh yeah, first thread!

Reactions: 3 people
Personally, I think this is a brilliant idea for the NFL to do this. There have been so many very capable players that, for whatever reason, didnt make it their first go round in the league. Some bc they were stupid and messed up off the field, but many for reasons somewhat beyond their control. Say a late round QB that could become a solid player, but needs a few years to polish their game. In their second year with a bad team, a coaching change is made and there is a shift in offensive philosophy. Well often that QB that needs the time to hone/refine his craft gets lost in the shuffle or cut loose.
Yes. Other teams can go sign that player, but often it's the same 4-5 QBs get moved around the league bc of various coaches' familiarity with them rather than a true evaluation of their skills/potential.
It's not just QBs of course, but that's the example I went with. Anyone else ever noticed that? Or is it just me?

In b4 "it's just you."

According a report on ESPN, the NFL is going to hold a veteran combine about a month after the college combine. The report says that it is for any young or old veteran unsigned free agent, but also mentions that about 100 players will be there to showcase talent. Tim Tebow may still have a chance? Any Vols that you can think of that might be there?

Edit: Oh yeah, first thread!

Where are you getting the young unsigned free agents part?

Everything I'm seeing suggest it to be more about the older players...

I didn't realize my ncaa eligibility had come and gone for a walk on spot at UT. So I'll give this a try instead... I hear titans QB spot is up for grabs. Time for me and Delanie Walker to go to work :)

As bad as the league needs QBs Eric Ainge out to give it a go.

If Matt Simms can be a back up quarterback then Eric Ainge can dude could play and if he is clean ... There are a lot of back up qb's in the league that I wonder how they are and these big names are not in there

Where are you getting the young unsigned free agents part?

Everything I'm seeing suggest it to be more about the older players...

Here is the link I read.

NFL to hold combine for veteran free agents - ESPN

"You're talking the NFL free agent who is one year out of college and was in a training camp, or a 10-year veteran who has been a starter in the league," Birk said. "It will be very diverse, although at first it probably will tilt toward the younger guys."

I think this will be awesome. Doesn't say if it will be televised or not but knowing the NFL, they will work out a cable spot.

Here is the link I read.

NFL to hold combine for veteran free agents - ESPN

"You're talking the NFL free agent who is one year out of college and was in a training camp, or a 10-year veteran who has been a starter in the league," Birk said. "It will be very diverse, although at first it probably will tilt toward the younger guys."

I think this will be awesome. Doesn't say if it will be televised or not but knowing the NFL, they will work out a cable spot.

Knowing the NFL, it would just be on NFL Network, the same as rookie combine.

VN Store

Back