NFL Rushing Record

VolBricks

May the Orange be with you!
The NFL has changed over the past two decades. In the 70's to late 90's the league was a rushing league with some great passing here and there. Running backs in the past made the big money and good one lasted. In the 2000's through now the league has changed to passing first league and the running backs are no longer featured much and running backs do not last long in the NFL. This got me to thinking about Emmitt Smith's rushing record.

With the prolific passing now do you see anyone ever breaking Emmitt's rushing record?

I know "ever" is a long time but I do not think I will see anyone break his record in the next 20 years. What do you think?

The league seems to shift. Eventually someone will come up with a brilliant offense that emphasizes the run

The problem I think is durability. It's not so much about offensive scheming as it is about health and a guy like Emmitt isn't going to be able to hang around as long cause the talent pool is bigger. Guys are bigger, faster, and hit harder than when Emmitt played. Also, RBs are participating more in the passing game, so they are taking a lot of contact on plays that don't get them rush yards.

I don't think so, at least not for a long time. Most teams are now rotating 2 and sometimes 3 backs. You rarely have that one featured back anymore.

It will take a special RB like Adrian Peterson to do it. Like others have said, durability will be the key.

Adrian Peterson is a little over 8,000 yards away. I don't think anyone will break it in the next 20 years

Adrian Peterson is a little over 8,000 yards away. I don't think anyone will break it in the next 20 years

I just meant a physical specimen like AP. I don't think he will do it.

Did Smith ever miss any meaningful amount of time due to injury? I remember when he broke the record and there was alot of criticism that he had one of the best OLs to ever take the field through most of his career. It's not like he just got the easy yards then fell down untouched. He still got hit at the end of the majority of his runs. Durability goes a long way into that record.

Did Smith ever miss any meaningful amount of time due to injury? I remember when he broke the record and there was alot of criticism that he had one of the best OLs to ever take the field through most of his career. It's not like he just got the easy yards then fell down untouched. He still got hit at the end of the majority of his runs. Durability goes a long way into that record.
I know his type was my first thought too

That'd be asking him to make it until around a 15th/16th season in the league. I'm not even sure he's got that kind of durability in the modern league.

(It would probably have just been through a 14th/15th had all the off-the-field stuff not happened.)

Last edited:

Looks like he missed 6 games in 2003, but that was about it as far as anything of significance:

Season - Games played (Games Started) - Playoff games (Playoff games started)
1990 - 16 (15)
1991 - 16 (16) - 2 (2)
1992 - 16 (16) - 3 (3)
1993 - 14 (13) - 3 (3)
1994 - 15 (15) - 2 (2)
1995 - 16 (16) - 3 (3)
1996 - 15 (15) - 2 (2)
1997 - 16 (16)
1998 - 16 (16) - 1 (1)
1999 - 15 (15) - 1 (1)
2000 - 16 (16)
2001 - 14 (14)