The Top 100: Players of 2014

BadJerry20

Internet Super Hero
Started tonight on the NFL network. I'll ask the same question I did last year, anybody watching? Holds more weight than other best of polls, because players vote.

Edit: airs Wednesday's from now on @ 9

Last edited:
I tend to watch it when I remember to do so; I forgot to tune in tonight. I agree with your stance on one level; the players face each other on the field and they certainly know greatness when they see it. However, I do believe that they tend to place far too much weight on the previous year as opposed to the career body of work.

I proudly concede my Big Orange bias but I consider Jason to be better at his position, over the course of his career, than the players ranked immediately ahead of him. It is too bad Romo doesn't look to him as much in the red zone as other elite tight ends. If he did, Jason would be more highly regarded.

It's on Wednesday's after tonight @9.

Well it is of the present year. I get what you are saying, though career stats wouldn't play into it for me personally. I've always thought of it as, who would i want going in to next year. If i went career it would be Witten of present TEs though.

The players, going by the interviews, seemed most confused by is it the past year or going in to next year. Mannings ranking right before his first year in Denver kind of showed that as he was 50 iirc. I'm guessing half were going by him not playing the year before, and not ranking him. The other half going by what he would do the next and probably putting him top 5

Reactions: 1 person
You are correct. Peyton was ranked exactly 50th, going into 2012. And that has to be attributable either to Peyton not playing in 2011 or players having difficulty projecting to what degree Peyton would come back after his surgeries. I can give them a pass on the latter point. Personally, I believe that most players have too narrow a sense of historicity; a player who has continuously played at or near a Pro Bowl caliber for a decade, as Jason has, should be ranked much higher than someone who has had one or two breakout seasons. The only caveat would be if a Hall of Fame-caliber player is clearly in his declining years. Witten's recent performance does not suggest that in the slightest.

Graham
Davis
Gronk
Gates
Witten

The top 3 are all perfect fits for their offenses. I think I'd take Graham #1 though. Davis and Gronk can be switched based on style.

It's 2 AM, I may be missing someone.

If it was who i take going in to next year it's.

1. VD
2. Graham
3. Witten
4. J. Thomas
5. Jordan Cameron

Gronk and Gates would make it but i question their health. I'm a bit of a homer picking VD, but i think he's the better all around T.E.

Crazy thing is Graham didn't even make the Top 100 list last year.

Graham
Witten
Gronk
V. Davis
Cameron
Jordan Reed (very homerific)

Charles Clay ahead of Witten and the number 4 T.E. ummm no Only 3 left...VD, Graham and J Thomas is my guess

**** the nfl offseason. **** the thunder. and the damn heat. sports this time of year suck. except for some damn golf.

and on a side note jerry's doubled me in posts.

now thats damn embarassing. we used to be tied at 10000 ish

VN Store

Back