Goodell considering adding fourth day to NFL draft

TrueOrange

Roger Goodell: NFL to consider adding fourth day to draft | SI Wire

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the league will consider adding a day to its annual rookie draft. In an interview with NFL Media’s Jeff Darlington, Goodell said if the league does add a fourth day, the draft would retain its current seven-round format.

One of the appeals of an additional night is for the league to have the opportunity to draw more big television ratings, which the draft often does.

Goodell said the league has not determined whether it will continue this year’s move to a May draft – caused by a scheduling conflict with Radio City’s Easter show – or go back to an April player selection at another venue.

Host cities other than New York City could also be considered. The league has expressed an interest in taking the draft on the road to various NFL cities.

Really starting to dislike him.

I've hated the man for awhile now. Moving the draft into May really caused me to hate him. With that said, instead of adding a fourth day, perhaps expand the amount of rounds in the draft?

When the league had far fewer teams, they had as many as 32 rounds back in the 1940s. Nevertheless, more than 300 players were selected in some of those drafts (DraftHistory.com).

If I wasn't drafted in 7 rounds I would rather be a free agent anyway. That way you at least get some choice in what city you move to and organization you will be part of. Chances of you making a roster as 6-7 rounder and UFA are probably about the same.

As for adding a 4th day just for TV ratings seems kinda silly. No one would watch rounds 4-7 on the weekend.

Last edited:
If I wasn't drafted in 7 rounds I would rather be a free agent anyway. That way you at least get some choice in what city you move to and organization you will be part of. Chances of you making a roster as 6-7 rounder and UFA are probably about the same.

As for adding a 4th day just for TV ratings seems kinda silly. No one would watch rounds 4-7 on the weekend.

I do...

Me and my old man watch from the first pick to the very last ever year.

Two days should be enough. And no more rounds, teams are shooting in the dark by the late rounds anyway.

I've hated the man for awhile now. Moving the draft into May really caused me to hate him. With that said, instead of adding a fourth day, perhaps expand the amount of rounds in the draft?
Didn't have a choice did you over look the article!

Goodell said the league has not determined whether it will continue this year’s move to a May draft – caused by a scheduling conflict with Radio City’s Easter show – or go back to an April player selection at another venue.

I miss the way the NFL did it many years ago(1980s). They started it at 9-10 am and finished it in one day.

Two days should be enough. And no more rounds, teams are shooting in the dark by the late rounds anyway.

I agree. They should also implement a time limit on teams selecting. Make it so they have no more than 3 minutes to choose. In this day and age with all the info they have, they should be able to make a quick decision easily.

My liver can't handle four days of Tennessee drafting DEs to play TE, Dlinemen from d2 colleges, DTs that can't bench press there body, or illiterate quarterbacks.

I agree. They should also implement a time limit on teams selecting. Make it so they have no more than 3 minutes to choose. In this day and age with all the info they have, they should be able to make a quick decision easily.

There is a time limit. Remember a couple of years ago when Oakland(?) didnt get theirs in in time.

I thought it was Minnesota?

They did it in 2003 but I could have sworn it happened again just 2-3 years ago. Maybe I am mistaken.

Anyway. there is a time limit and I'm pretty sure it gets shorter and shorter each round.

There is a time limit. Remember a couple of years ago when Oakland(?) didnt get theirs in in time.

Actually it was the Ravens who ran out of time in 2011 and the pick went to Kansas City. The Ravens wound up getting Jimmy Smith so no big loss for them.

There are about 20+ players most Raider fans WISH the team had missed drafting altogether.

Actually it was the Ravens who ran out of time in 2011 and the pick went to Kansas City. The Ravens wound up getting Jimmy Smith so no big loss for them.

There are about 20+ players most Raider fans WISH the team had missed drafting altogether.

Yeah thats it!

VN Store

Back