Reevaluating Tony Dungy's Legacy

Nerd-Vol

I am curious to see what people will say about Dungy's legacy following this loss. I always noticed that fans were very quick to dismiss that Super Bowl he won in 2006, by stating "anyone can win with Peyton." I think it might be time we gave tony some more credit, especially considering this is a more talented team and a higher performing Peyton than that 2006 team.

I don't think anyone dismissed the 2006 Super Bowl as "anyone can win with Peyton."

And a lot of people give Dungy a lot of credit...plenty even give him credit for building the team Gruden had that initial success with.

I think Dungy is criticized the same as Manning, i.e. many think he should have won more.

If there's anything to pan about that Super Bowl win, I would say it's probably that they played a pretty meh Bears team, led by the worst QB to ever start a Super Bowl.

I am curious to see what people will say about Dungy's legacy following this loss. I always noticed that fans were very quick to dismiss that Super Bowl he won in 2006, by stating "anyone can win with Peyton." I think it might be time we gave tony some more credit, especially considering this is a more talented team and a higher performing Peyton than that 2006 team.

2013 Seahawks >>>>>>>>>> 2006 Bears

I think Dungy is criticized the same as Manning, i.e. many think he should have won more.

If there's anything to pan about that Super Bowl win, I would say it's probably that they played a pretty meh Bears team, led by the worst QB to ever start a Super Bowl.

Even that is a pretty weak criticsm. The Bears had the #3 scoring offense that year combined woth a top 5 defense. They were a good team.

Dungy is overrated if anything.

Not as overrated as Mike Tomlin though.

The 2006 team had a better O-line and the defense wasn't banged up like the current Broncos. Also, Seahawks >>>> Bears

Dungy's a fine coach, but to me it's mostly about the players and the way the ball bounces.

Dungy deserves HOF status for simply being able to win a ring at all with Peyton the choke artist QB'ing all those years.

Reactions: 1 person
you gotta look at the fact that gruden won it all his first yr with the team dungy basically had for 5+ and wasnt getting it done

all gruden had to do was bring in a little offense like keyshawn, brad johnson, and some old vet wr's like mccardell and jurevicius

Last edited:
you gotta look at the fact that gruden won it all his first yr with the team dungy basically had for 5+ and wasnt getting it done

all gruden had to do was bring in a little offense like keyshawn, brad johnson, and some old vet wr's like mccardell and jurevicius

Exactly, Tony Dungy is one of the most overrated coaches ever. Lovie handed him a title on a platter.

Dungy was a great coach. If he just retired and played golf for the rest of his life, I think he'd be short of HOF worthiness.

His role as a tv personality and as an ambassador for the NFL will put him over the top.

Reactions: 1 person
Dungy was a great coach. If he just retired and played golf for the rest of his life, I think he'd be short of HOF worthiness.

His role as a tv personality and as an ambassador for the NFL will put him over the top.

It sucks because he was only a good coach. The other stuff shouldn't matter at all. Dungy should go retire and play golf.

It sucks because he was only a good coach. The other stuff shouldn't matter at all. Dungy should go retire and play golf.

Which coaches from the past 15 years do you think deserve to be in the HOF?

Last edited:
I don't think Coach Dungy will make the pro football HOF. But he is a HOF person. He doesn't want people to know but he spends a lot of time here in Tampa working in a prison ministry and also with troubled young teenagers.

VN Store

Back