NFL considering proposal to get rid of extra points

TrueOrange

NFL considering proposal to abolish extra points - NFL.com

Is the extra point about to go the way of the dinosaur?

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell told NFL Media's Rich Eisen on Monday that the league's Competition Committee might eventually abolish the time-tested point after touchdown in favor of a brand-new scoring system.

"The extra point is almost automatic," Goodell said. "I believe we had five missed extra points this year out of 1,200 some odd (attempts). So it's a very small fraction of the play, and you want to add excitement with every play.

"There's one proposal in particular that I've heard about. It's automatic that you get seven points when you score a touchdown, but you could potentially go for an eighth point, either by running or passing the ball, so if you fail, you go back to six."

Extra points -- with a 99.1 percent success rate since 2004 -- have become an afterthought. Unless you're up against Lawrence Taylor in Tecmo Bowl, there's virtually zero drama attached to the point after. Taylor's old coach Bill Belichick has often opined about about how unnecessary the extra point feels.

Goodell said "some issues" stand in the way of a change, asking: "Is that going to discourage people from going for two?"

We doubt it. Teams inclined to go for the deuce will continue to do so in situations that call for an eight-point score -- with the same potential consequences. Traditionalists might disagree, but this is a good idea long overdue.

Well, unless you're a kicker.

I have no problem with it. Only thing is that it further reduces the kickers' PT.

It would make the games go a little faster and a little less boring.

XP's have been good enough for the game since its inception. Why change it?

Because they're pretty much pointless at this juncture. It isn't a radical change, and in my opinion sometimes the game/rules have to evolve over time.

I think they should at least move the attempt back to the 15 yard line. NFL kickers will still make that 90% of the time but the greater chance for failure makes it more interesting.

Reactions: 1 person
XP's have been good enough for the game since its inception. Why change it?
It's an old holdover from rugby, and I agree that it's a pointless play. The rugby version of the similar play is much tougher to pull off. I would be cool with moving it back, but even then most kickers in the NFL are virtually automatic from short range.

I think it would speed up the game, and effectively wouldn't change the strategy if they opted to go for two.

Because they're pretty much pointless at this juncture. It isn't a radical change, and in my opinion sometimes the game/rules have to evolve over time.

It's pretty radical imo.

I rarely see punts blocked. Should we stop allowing defenses to rush the punter?

Awarding seven points for a touchdown would also have an impact on all the scoring records in the NFL.

Reactions: 2 people
Personally, I agree that the extra point kick attempt either needs to be changed or replaced. It's so rare to see an extra point attempt missed. I feel like a team gets a free point after every TD. I'd like to see a little more of a challenge to get that extra point.

I think they should at least move the attempt back to the 15 yard line. NFL kickers will still make that 90% of the time but the greater chance for failure makes it more interesting.

I like this idea. Would make for a 27 yard xp. Still a gimme for a pro bit would make it a bit tougher.

It's pretty radical imo.

I rarely see punts blocked. Should we stop allowing defenses to rush the punter?

Awarding seven points for a touchdown would also have an impact on all the scoring records in the NFL.

This isn't a 1:1 comparison. This would be like saying we're still going to have XPs, but you can't rush the kicker.

I didn't realize the proposal was to have automatic 7 points...that is stupid. I thought they were forcing teams to go for 2, which I would totally stand behind.

This isn't a 1:1 comparison. This would be like saying we're still going to have XPs, but you can't rush the kicker.

I didn't realize the proposal was to have automatic 7 points...that is stupid. I thought they were forcing teams to go for 2, which I would totally stand behind.

Seems like there's somewhat of a general agreement going on in here that the XP as it currently exists is a bit pointless.

I'd also be behind two point conversions only, though IMO that'd be an even more radical change than just automatically awarding 7 points. Think about getting rid of that integer altogether in the scoring system.

VN Store

Back