Excellent ESPN article on the Manning vs. Brady Debate

Volosaurus rex

Doctorate in Volology
We've had a couple of excellent threads pertaining to this debate in the Football Forum. Predictably, nothing was resolved. ESPN just published a lengthy article (What if Peyton Manning and Tom Brady had traded places - ESPN) which explores this hypothetical question: "How would NFL history have been different if Manning had gone to the Patriots and Brady had worn a Colts jersey before a rebirth in Denver?" The author, Greg Garber, does not take a definitive stance but does present the perspectives of "more than a dozen NFL aficionados, including a two-time Super Bowl coach, a Heisman Trophy winner, a pair of Hall of Famers plus former teammates and league officials and analysts."

Understandably, some responses were provided on the condition of anonymity while others went on record with clearcut opinions. Some of the most interesting perspectives include the following:

Ty Law, who played with Brady for five years, stated: "In the beginning, we weren't expecting Tom to play well. The defense just told him, 'We got this. Just don't turn the damn ball over.' I think if Tom's on the other side, we would have shown him what defense was. Peyton would have more support on our team and that would have leveled the playing field. We had so many leaders, particularly on defense. Tom didn't have that pressure to lead. On our team, Peyton would have relaxed a little bit more."

One emphatic, but anonymous, observer concluded, "Peyton the Patriot gets five Super Bowls rings. Four at the worst, six at best. Brady maybe doesn't get any without Belichick." "Wrong," said another. "Brady doesn't throw four picks in the 2003 championship game. The Colts win with him in there. Give them both two rings. Hey, maybe Brady gets three if he beats the Saints in the Super Bowl."

One panel member wondered, "What's the count right now, Brady three, Manning one? I'd say it would be exactly the opposite."

In any event, enjoy the article and let the debate commence yet again.

I think they're pretty much on the same level. They are both probably in the top 5 all time.

Peyton haters will mention his 10-11 playoff record. Brady haters will mention him having #6, #1, and #1 ranked defenses in his 3 super bowls.

Brady would have been great anywhere. Same with Peyton.

Does Brady get a SB? Yes he does.

I think Peyton gets four or five.

Not sure about Brady. He wasn't "great" from the get-go but he was coachable and drafted by the best coach in this era of the NFL. As Ty Law said, the defense took the pressure off him and allowed him to be coached up to greatness.

Could Jim Morra have laid the foundation for Brady? I'm not so sure. Dungy has never been known as a QB guru.

If Peyton Manning had been in Tom Brady's shoes it would have made football unwatchable for about 5 years. Think Jordan and the Bulls in the mid/late 90's, that's the kind of dominance that would have happened. I've said for years that the difference between the two is that Peyton makes others better and Brady is blessed with a great system. Take Brady and put him on any team that didn't make the playoffs this year and you won't move the needle much and his numbers suffer, Peyton has already proved that he can be plugged in just about anywhere and instantly make the playoffs.

Reactions: 1 person
I think today ended the debate...
Good weather Peyton!
Bad weather tommy...

or maybe it is just bad weather favors the defense!

Brady would have been great anywhere. Same with Peyton.

Does Brady get a SB? Yes he does.

I think Peyton gets four or five.

Switching teams Brady wouldn't win one dude...not even close

Peyton had bad management at Indy.

Of course not... it specializes...

It is a patriot beating defense

"It" won today because:

1. Manning was methodic and on - controlling the clock and keeping Brady off the field

2. Brady was off - missed many big opportunities

3. Brady had less weapons than Denver.

"It" won today because:

1. Manning was methodic and on - controlling the clock and keeping Brady off the field

You ever wonder why so few teams have multiple SBs?

Do you you know why?

You do know this is the most fair league in all of sports from an owning perspective?

"It" won today because:

He has a history of poor performances in Mile High. Maybe it's the altitude but it seemed like the ball sailed on him and he wasn't able to adjust until it was too late.

He has a history of poor performances in Mile High. Maybe it's the altitude but it seemed like the ball sailed on him and he wasn't able to adjust until it was too late.

He missed 2 long balls, which is forgivable, but there was one with Edelman wide open across the middle of the endzone and he threw it about 10 feet too high.

Maybe it is Mile High, but what about the one he missed to an open Welker last year against Baltimore? That one decided the game.

Brady is a beast, but he's not Mr. Clutch. Nobody is. It's a bull**** concept to think anybody plays better under pressure.

He missed 2 long balls, which is forgivable, but there was one with Edelman wide open across the middle of the endzone and he threw it about 10 feet too high.

Maybe it is Mile High, but what about the one he missed to an open Welker last year against Baltimore? That one decided the game.

Brady is a beast, but he's not Mr. Clutch. Nobody is. It's a bull**** concept to think anybody plays better under pressure.

Brady missed throws last night that he usually makes. It seemed that he and Peyton almost switched traditional roles yesterday. Peyton was the one making the more relaxed throws and getting plays while Brady appeared to put too much on himself to win the game. One appeared much more comfortable with his game last night and it wasn't the one we usually see in a Manning v Brady game. I just don't think the Pats were quite up to the Broncos level yesterday

Reactions: 1 person
too bad the colts or broncos never played the dolphins,bucs or jags in the SB.

maybe then the best QB ever could beat a team in florida...

not a fan of the patriots at all but i've found a new "love" of them just out of the disrespect that brady gets compared to manning. manning beat rex grossman in a monsoon to win his only ring while passing for 1 TD.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O2pPpuui2s[/youtube]

not a fan of the patriots at all but i've found a new "love" of them just out of the disrespect that brady gets compared to manning. manning beat rex grossman in a monsoon to win his only ring while passing for 1 TD

Isn't bad weather play one of the knocks on him? Did he not have the greatest comeback in conference championship history against Brady the game prior to that? GTFO

you have to get down by 18 first in order have a good comeback.

Most points surrendered by Bellichick in 23 playoff games. He's only surrendered 30 one other time, but sure hate on a great accomplishment if you must.

Manning just hung 400 on BB. That's also the most.

I have no understanding as to why Vol fans would hate on former Vols.

not a fan of the patriots at all but i've found a new "love" of them just out of the disrespect that brady gets compared to manning. manning beat rex grossman in a monsoon to win his only ring while passing for 1 TD.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/0O2pPpuui2s[/youtube]

You do know the Bears had one of the best defenses in the league that year right? And tied for second with Indy for most points scored?

Do you realize that Indy's playoff run consisted of knocking off the top 3 scoring defenses?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

VN Store

Back