Quarterbacks under pressure

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
I read an interesting article in ESPN The Magazine this week which outlined the stats below.

Jay Cutler is the only quarterback since 2011 whose quarterback rating has increased when under duress (54.8 to 63.9)

Seven quarterbacks see their QBR drop by more than 50 points when under duress. Among them are Bradford, Brady and Brees.

Peyton Manning stays out of trouble. He's only under duress 11.1% of the time as opposed to Terrelle Pryor at 24.6%.

Robert Griffin III (-38.5 QBR) and Michael Vick (-44.3 QBR) play much worse under pressure.

In the past three years, Eli Manning's QBR drops from 69.3 to 12.8 under pressure.

Any thoughts?

It's simple. When you harass a QB, good things happen. It's how the Giants beat the Pats twice in the Super Bowl. It's how the Saints got to Peyton.

It's why teams are always overpaying and over drafting defensive linemen. A little bit like the center position in basketball. If you find that elite big man or pass rusher, you are ahead of everyone else.

If you draft one and they turn out to be a bust, you are in trouble.

Reactions: 1 person
What about Jay Cutler? How do you explain that. And would you guess that two guys like Vick and Griffin are two of the worst under pressure?

What about Jay Cutler? How do you explain that. And would you guess that two guys like Vick and Griffin are two of the worst under pressure?

There are multiple reasons I can explain Cutler:

1) He has always been under pressure his entire career. At Vandy. Denver. Chicago. He's always been a guy that takes hits and he's just use to it. He also will hold the ball to make a play so he gets pressured more. He's had the best pass protection of his career this year and has struggled some. I think that's just how he is. He does better when the pocket collapses. It goes against logic completely, but he's an anomaly.

2) RG3 and Vick both hold the ball too long trying to makes plays and take more sacks because they scramble out of pressure. Instead of doing the Manning/Brady thing and just throwing the ball or way or hitting the back in the flat for 3, they try to get out of the pocket and make a play down the field, which leads to more risk.

As someone who has weirdly followed RG3 since he went to Baylor, he's always been a guy that doesn't throw the ball away and refuses to take the check down. He wants to go deep every play. It's not a coincidence the Baylor offense has gotten better since he left. They have better athletes, but both Nick Florence and Bryce Petty got the ball out quicker, were willing to throw more short passes, and won't take sacks.

There are multiple reasons I can explain Cutler:

1) He has always been under pressure his entire career. At Vandy. Denver. Chicago. He's always been a guy that takes hits and he's just use to it. He also will hold the ball to make a play so he gets pressured more. He's had the best pass protection of his career this year and has struggled some. I think that's just how he is. He does better when the pocket collapses. It goes against logic completely, but he's an anomaly.

2) RG3 and Vick both hold the ball too long trying to makes plays and take more sacks because they scramble out of pressure. Instead of doing the Manning/Brady thing and just throwing the ball or way or hitting the back in the flat for 3, they try to get out of the pocket and make a play down the field, which leads to more risk.

How about

3. A difference of less than 10 points in quarterback rating in 30 football games probably isn't a statistically significant difference.

I remember seeing RG3's QBR last year was higher when blitzed.

As someone who has weirdly followed RG3 since he went to Baylor, he's always been a guy that doesn't throw the ball away and refuses to take the check down. He wants to go deep every play. It's not a coincidence the Baylor offense has gotten better since he left. They have better athletes, but both Nick Florence and Bryce Petty got the ball out quicker, were willing to throw more short passes, and won't take sacks.

True. If helu is in he will dump it off though, and even last game he done a much better job of it even with morris in. Was still sacked alot though

Last edited:
Sounds like we need Cutler here. Inside of our line will make him feel right at home. Warmack forgets to block and the Center is struggling to pass protect. Jay would feel right at home. Come home Jay. :)

Brady folds like house of cards when pressured.

What was Rothlisberger's? Seems like he can't make a play unless flushed out of the pocket.

Eli has not played well this year, but over his career, he may be the best big game QB that I have ever seen.

VN Store

Back