Washington Redskins name change thread

Why? He obviously doesn't have a problem offending people, so he should be able to take it, right?

That's quite different. Most native Americans don't find it offensive. If you look hard enough you can find someone offended by everything.

Reactions: 4 people
That's quite different. Most native Americans don't find it offensive. If you look hard enough you can find someone offended by everything.

Incredibly broad statement that can't be proven.

Lol ok. Ignorance is bliss.

There's plenty of examples either way. There's even a HS on a res with the name Redskins.

Talking about ignorance when it comes to the name is pretty ironic. You ignore the past of the name and pretend that it's actually some sort of honorable name is incredibly biased and ignorant.

Would any Washington Professional Football Team fan object to the Washington Americans or Senators or any other American idea like the Nationals and Capitals? What would be wrong with that?

Talking about ignorance when it comes to the name is pretty ironic. You ignore the past of the name and pretend that it's actually some sort of honorable name is incredibly biased and ignorant.

Is Redskin really much different or worse than "The Fighting Irish", portrayed as an damn leprechaun? They're both ridiculous to claim as offiensive to people especially in the manner both are used.

Reactions: 1 person

Where have I ever said its honorable?

Why? He obviously doesn't have a problem offending people, so he should be able to take it, right?

There is a huge difference in using a word to try and harm someone and having a word as a source of pride for your organization. My opinion of course

Reactions: 1 person
Is Redskin really much different or worse than "The Fighting Irish", portrayed as an damn leprechaun? They're both ridiculous to claim as offiensive to people especially in the manner both are used.

I don't like Fighting Irish. I think Irish is okay. I'd be perfectly fine if Washington was named the a Native American tribe, like the Braves or Warriors.

And I think the Leprechaun is a dumb stereotype

There is a huge difference in using a word to try and harm someone and having a word as a source of pride for your organization. My opinion of course

I don't get where this source of pride comes from that word because of its past.

I don't get where this source of pride comes from that word because of its past.

The teamname "Redskins" was a name given in honor of Lone Star Dietz who was..................wait for it...................a Native American. It wasnt a teamname given to be derogatory against anyone.

The teamname "Redskins" was a name given in honor of Lone Star Dietz who was..................wait for it...................a Native American. It wasnt a teamname given to be derogatory against anyone.

Lone star named the team. It was in honor of the NA as he was a NA. Thats why this is so stupid

Last edited:
Would any Washington Professional Football Team fan object to the Washington Americans or Senators or any other American idea like the Nationals and Capitals? What would be wrong with that?

cant copywright them. Already tried. Thats why the Bullets are named the wizzards

That still doesn't make it right. Why not go with Sioux then? Would you have a problem of a team was named the ******s to honor a former black in the 30's? Yes. Same thing. ****** was a common word both whites and blacks used.

The word Redskin has a complex history but is now considered a major derogatory term. And it's not a word that just became that way. It was considered derogatory back then too despite the history of the name. It's time for a change.

Reactions: 3 people
That still doesn't make it right. Why not go with Sioux then? Would you have a problem of a team was named the ******s to honor a former black in the 30's? Yes. Same thing. ****** was a common word both whites and blacks used.

The word Redskin has a complex history but is now considered a major derogatory term. And it's not a word that just became that way. It was considered derogatory back then too despite the history of the name. It's time for a change.

Don't you have something better to do then be worried about a name of an NFL team?

Reactions: gisman and 508mikey

VN Store

Back