Anyone Else Having Trouble Loading VN Pages?

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
Over the last several days, my web browser (Chrome) has been slow loading VolNation pages. Other pages are fine, just here. And it has gotten worse yesterday and this morning....

It happens when I click on a thread link, or go to the next (or previous) page inside a thread, or even when I go back to the main Tennessee Vols Football forum page. Sometimes it only takes 3-5 seconds, other times it can go a minute or longer. Sometimes it hangs up and just never loads at all.

And down at the bottom of the screen, it usually shows, "waiting for securepubads.g.doubleclick.net..." I guess that means some advertisement is getting hung up while loading?

Is this just a problem on my machine? Is there some setting I can change to ameliorate it?

Last edited:
Over the last several days, my web browser (Chrome) has been slow loading VolNation pages. Other pages are fine, just here. And it has gotten worse yesterday and this morning....

It happens when I click on a thread link, or go to the next (or previous) page inside a thread, or even when I go back to the main Tennessee Vols Football forum page. Sometimes it only takes 3-5 seconds, other times it can go a minute or longer. Sometimes it hangs up and just never loads at all.

And down at the bottom of the screen, it usually shows, "waiting for securepubads.g.doubleclick.net..." I guess that means some advertisement is getting hung up while loading?

Is this just a problem on my machine? Is there some setting I can change to ameliorate it?

Having same problem.

Sounds like you have problems with Windows 8, try loading Windows 10......its free. Popup blocker and/or security settings.

I'm not having any problems on my laptop, but I've got similar symptoms when on mobile. Motorola Droid turbo for anyone that might be having similar issues.

Sorry to hear you're having issues. I'm not personally experiencing any issues using chrome but everyone gets different ads so that can cause isolated problems sometimes.

I'll definitely look into it. I assume we are talking about chrome on a computer, not a phone or tablet?

Sounds like you have problems with Windows 8, try loading Windows 10......its free. Popup blocker and/or security settings.

Thanks, FlyFishn. Did Windows 8 get a new patch that is causing problems? I've never had any issue with VolNation loading before, trying to discern what's new and different and bad, so I can change it back.

Sorry to hear you're having issues. I'm not personally experiencing any issues using chrome but everyone gets different ads so that can cause isolated problems sometimes.

I'll definitely look into it. I assume we are talking about chrome on a computer, not a phone or tablet?

Thanks, Freak! Yep, it's chrome on a high-end laptop, dell alienware, windows 8 is the OS (as FlyFishn somehow knew, I think he's stalking me, I'm waving at him through my computer camera right now!) :good!:

EDIT: And I think you may be right about it being isolated ads...because it definitely comes and goes. Like, right now, I'm having no troubles at all, and there was a period yesterday evening where it was smooth sailing for a while, too.

I think the problem on mobile is related to ads too. I am able to fully load pages when an ad doesn't appear, but if there are ads, the page never finishes loading.

Thanks, Freak! Yep, it's chrome on a high-end laptop, dell alienware, windows 8 is the OS (as FlyFishn somehow knew, I think he's stalking me, I'm waving at him through my computer camera right now!) :good!:

EDIT: And I think you may be right about it being isolated ads...because it definitely comes and goes. Like, right now, I'm having no troubles at all, and there was a period yesterday evening where it was smooth sailing for a while, too.

82, have you checked to make sure your flash player is updated to the latest version? Sometimes that causes issues for a few folks. Otherwise, I'll continue to dig into this a bit more from my end.

I think the problem on mobile is related to ads too. I am able to fully load pages when an ad doesn't appear, but if there are ads, the page never finishes loading.

I've noticed a blue bar on chrome for Android, but the ads load fine for me and it doesn't seem to affect functionality in any way. I'll do some standard troubleshooting and see if I can isolate exactly what's causing this.

82, have you checked to make sure your flash player is updated to the latest version? Sometimes that causes issues for a few folks. Otherwise, I'll continue to dig into this a bit more from my end.

Checking now....

EDIT: Just checked. Results said that "Your Google Chrome browser already includes Adobe® Flash® Player built-in. Google Chrome will automatically update when new versions of Flash Player are available." Says my Google Chrome software is "up to date" (version 44.0.2403.157 m).

So I guess that means I do have the latest Flash Player version, too. Heh, sorry, I'm no computer guru. :ermm:

p.s. And wouldn't you know it, I haven't had a single problem with pages loading since starting this thread. Working like a champ. This happens to me with home repair guys, too. Get the electrician out, and the light simply will not flicker while he's looking. Get the TV dude out, and the sound just will not cut off until 10 minutes after he drives away. :) :blink: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I've noticed a blue bar on chrome for Android, but the ads load fine for me and it doesn't seem to affect functionality in any way. I'll do some standard troubleshooting and see if I can isolate exactly what's causing this.

Does the blue bar not go away? If so, see if you can reload the page (not the down swipe and hold reload, but the x button and reload button in the chrome options). When the blue bar gets stuck, I can't reload the page without going back to the main forum.

Now it is at least allowing me to force stop loading a page with the x. This is the first time in several days I've been able to do that on mobile. Also, pages are loading more regularly, but every third time, the loading bar gets hung up.

I've been having some of these problems too the last couple of days. I use Google Chrome also. Today (8/31) seems to be better than the last 2-3 days on VN. Hoping Freak can fix the problem.

Heh, jinxed myself by saying all was well. It's back. :)

So now I'm trying to figure out what ad(s) might be causing a hiccup.

If the screen hangs before loading at all, of course, I see nothing. But sometimes the page will load (after several seconds), and the (varying) banner ad at the top of the screen seem not to be the problem. Typically, no ads will show on the right or bottom of the page, but the "still loading" circle will be running on the page tab. If I X cancel the load, a VolNation Store ad will immediately pop up on the right, as if it was already loaded and just waiting for something else to follow it. Of course, that probably means that the issue is with the ad that I never actually get to see....

When the page loads normally/quickly, I get 3 banners on the right, a tall one that varies, followed by the VolNation Store small add, then another tall banner. Sometimes one or two ads at the bottom of the page, as well.

When it hangs up and I hit X cancel, I get only the top banner and the VolNation Store ad. No other ones on the right, and nothing at the bottom.

Dunno if this is helping at all, I can stop rambling if you prefer, Freak. :)

Last edited:
Heh, jinxed myself by saying all was well. It's back. :)

So now I'm trying to figure out what ad(s) might be causing a hiccup.

If the screen hangs before loading at all, of course, I see nothing. But sometimes the page will load (after several seconds), and the (varying) banner ad at the top of the screen seem not to be the problem. Typically, no ads will show on the right or bottom of the page, but the "still loading" circle will be running on the page tab. If I X cancel the load, a VolNation Store ad will immediately pop up on the right, as if it was already loaded and just waiting for something else to follow it. Of course, that probably means that the issue is with the ad that I never actually get to see....

When the page loads normally/quickly, I get 3 banners on the right, a tall one that varies, followed by the VolNation Store small add, then another tall banner. Sometimes one or two ads at the bottom of the page, as well.

When it hangs up and I hit X cancel, I get only the top banner and the VolNation Store ad. No other ones on the right, and nothing at the bottom.

Dunno if this is helping at all, I can stop rambling if you prefer, Freak. :)

No, you're fine. I appreciate any info you can provide.

It's just difficult for me to troubleshoot if I can't duplicate the issue myself. Screenshots can also be helpful sometimes, as well as the exact message you see in your status bar. Based on the particular status message you posted, it's most likely an ad getting hung up. If we can figure which one, it's an easy fix. But sometimes that can be difficult.

No, you're fine. I appreciate any info you can provide.

It's just difficult for me to troubleshoot if I can't duplicate the issue myself. Screenshots can also be helpful sometimes, as well as the exact message you see in your status bar. Based on the particular status message you posted, it's most likely an ad getting hung up. If we can figure which one, it's an easy fix. But sometimes that can be difficult.

Haha, yeah, and now it's not happening at all. So much Murphy's Law in play. :)

That message I quoted (the one with "waiting for securepubads.g.blahblah") is always the status bar message when I get a page that won't load or slow loading. Every time, far as I've noticed. I would bet money that you're right, there's just one ad (or a number of ads from one source) that don't like my particular build/virus protection/etc., and when I happen to roll the dice and get an ad from that source, that's when I see problems.

And the chance I'll ever be able to report which ad(s) that is/are, is next to zero, because I'll never actually see the ad because it doesn't load. haha, bit of a Catch-22 going on there. :)

But thanks, Freak, for looking around. :good!:

Freak, here are a couple of screen shots with time it took to load to each point. I did notice a possible culprit in it all...there was one ad source that appeared after a delay of about 45 seconds (page top banner) and the same source had an ad in the group of banners that appeared after about another 2 minutes. Look for the "2015 Alabama Environmental Conference" ad in both these screen captures:

After waiting for about 45 seconds, here's how the page initially loaded:

VNloadAfter45s.png

Only one ad populated at this point--the one at the top of the page. You can see the "loading" progress circle still running up on the page tab....

...so the page continues to load, and after about 2 minutes, it finally finishes. I couldn't get all the ads (3 on the right side, 2 at the bottom) all in the same screen capture, but here are 3 of the 5:

VNloadAfter2m.png

See what I mean about that Alabama (I automatically distrust anything that says Bama, hehe) ad being in both slow-loads?

By the way, whatever that problem was with the ads, Freak, it's gone now. Haven't seen any symptoms in several days. Thanks!

VN Store

Back