The 2017 NBA Draft Thread

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
Hey guys one of my favorite events of the year is coming up...I love the NBA Draft. I also love the NBA mock drafts that come out and I decided to do my own. Just a couple things.

I did a mock draft (who I think they will pick) and my personal draft (where I did a mock draft based on what I would do). The best case scenario doesn't mean that will happen. I highly doubt Ike Anigbogu becomes Hassan Whiteside but with his age, lack of experience, and huge athleticism/length/quickness he has that capability. I'll post my mock draft and through the next couple nights post some overall thoughts too. I would love to get some feedback from you guys on the draft and what you guys think. Also I used best case scenarios for players I personally watched.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yieTsqbfVQ1Fc_GmKOQMYG2PXJzVoMzcM3HOOH1EC2Q/edit?usp=sharing

Reactions: 1 person
Hey guys one of my favorite events of the year is coming up...I love the NBA Draft. I also love the NBA mock drafts that come out and I decided to do my own. Just a couple things.

I did a mock draft (who I think they will pick) and my personal draft (where I did a mock draft based on what I would do). The best case scenario doesn't mean that will happen. I highly doubt Ike Anigbogu becomes Hassan Whiteside but with his age, lack of experience, and huge athleticism/length/quickness he has that capability. I'll post my mock draft and through the next couple nights post some overall thoughts too. I would love to get some feedback from you guys on the draft and what you guys think. Also I used best case scenarios for players I personally watched.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yieTsqbfVQ1Fc_GmKOQMYG2PXJzVoMzcM3HOOH1EC2Q/edit?usp=sharing

Nice job, zjcvols. U obviously, put in a bunch of homework and hours into this preview. Appreciate it. Can't wait to see the real thing. Personally, I hope the Lakers trade the 2nd pick or pass on Lonzo, juat so I can see and hear, LaVar's reaction

Btw, i'm hearing rumors of 3 team trade with Love coming to Phoenix and Cavs getting Butler

I agree he's better than Love but I don't think he's a better fit. Overall, I think they get better.

Their best lineup is Bron at the 4 IMO. Butler gives them a much better option on the wing in late game situations.

Their best lineup is Bron at the 4 IMO. Butler gives them a much better option on the wing in late game situations.

It's just such a small lineup, 3-5.

Chances are the late game offense will revolve around Lebron or Kyrie dribble-driving with Butler sitting on the 3 point line. Love is the better shooter.

Chances are the late game offense will revolve around Lebron or Kyrie dribble-driving with Butler sitting on the 3 point line. Love is the better shooter.

True but they could grab a couple vets for rebounding. Besides Golden State plays best super small.

How much better? I glanced at 3P% but that's it.

How much better? I glanced at 3P% but that's it.

Love is .364 for his career and .373 last year. Butler is .337 and .367, respectively.

So if recent history is more of an indicator of what to expect, then it's not a big difference, but consider that Love is a lot better than the average PF and Butler is about average for a wing.

Butler will also get a lot more open looks and less pull up 3's. Wonder what his catch and shoot % is

Trade off would be butler's better perimeter defense vs love's passing ability and rebounding.

It's a sexier team and I agree that it would be better, and maybe especially better when considering a match up with GS, but Love does fit really well.

Yeah, there is nowhere to hide Love against GSW. Everybody is a mismatch for him in some way.

I don't dislike basketball coverage and I love having these discussions... But basketball writers and such pushing the "OMG we cannot freaking keep up with this insanely exciting news cycle, other sports don't have this!" seems like such a silly narrative.

One big thing has happened. The rest is, for all we really know, just wild rumor. Which is fine... That's the off-season and draft... But can we stop acting like this is actual nonstop, unmatched action?

If I'm wrong, please correct me. There's a lot of information out there... Some rumor, some intentional rumor, and the league is really compelling. But the "woooo boy our sport's action is tops" is just based on being a fan right?

I don't dislike basketball coverage and I love having these discussions... But basketball writers and such pushing the "OMG we cannot freaking keep up with this insanely exciting news cycle, other sports don't have this!" seems like such a silly narrative.

One big thing has happened. The rest is, for all we really know, just wild rumor. Which is fine... That's the off-season and draft... But can we stop acting like this is actual nonstop, unmatched action?

If I'm wrong, please correct me. There's a lot of information out there... Some rumor, some intentional rumor, and the league is really compelling. But the "woooo boy our sport's action is tops" is just based on being a fan right?

It's because the draft is so close after the end of the season. Baseball and football have multiple months of coverage of the offseason. After August 1st you won't hear anything about the NBA till November

It's because the draft is so close after the end of the season. Baseball and football have multiple months of coverage of the offseason. After August 1st you won't hear anything about the NBA till November

It must just be the timing, that's true. I really think the conclusion is "We like the NBA and this is fun," not "There has never been so much compelling action."

VN Store

Back