Split: Shaq vs Yao

RyNeyland89

Only guy I remember being as big as listed or possibly bigger when I was a student at UT was BIG John Henderson. That guy was a massive human being.

At a Rockets game, Yao Ming walked right by my seat and literally blew my mind. 7'6" seemed like 10 ft in that moment. Top of his head literally hit the net when walking under. Too bad Shaq made him his ***** :(

Reactions: 1 person
At a Rockets game, Yao Ming walked right by my seat and literally blew my mind. 7'6" seemed like 10 ft in that moment. Top of his head literally hit the net when walking under. Too bad Shaq made him his ***** :(

Yao more than held his own vs Shaq in 13 games....his teams we're 7-6 vs Shaq's. Here are the H2H stats:

Yao- 18.6 points, 10.5 Rebs, 2.1 assists, 1.5 blocks, 1.7 turnovers

Shaq- 22.9 points, 9.6 Rebs, 2.0 assists. 2.5 blocks, 3.3 turnovers

Just sayin'.

Yao more than held his own vs Shaq in 13 games....his teams we're 7-6 vs Shaq's. Here are the H2H stats:

Yao- 18.6 points, 10.5 Rebs, 2.1 assists, 1.5 blocks, 1.7 turnovers

Shaq- 22.9 points, 9.6 Rebs, 2.0 assists. 2.5 blocks, 3.3 turnovers

Just sayin'.

I'm a die hard Rockets fan since I'm from Houston. But watching him getting out bodied non stop was so frustrating. This is probably due in large part to growing up with Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon!!! Such beauty watching him own every center.
Yao had a dirty 15 footer tho

Effing ridiculous that he (Yao) made it into the hall of fame!

I'm a die hard Rockets fan since I'm from Houston. But watching him getting out bodied non stop was so frustrating. This is probably due in large part to growing up with Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon!!! Such beauty watching him own every center.
Yao had a dirty 15 footer tho

Hakeem the Dream is the most underrated player in NBA history IMO. He was unstoppable and practically dominant for more than a decade on both ends of the floor. Whatever publicity, accolades he's ever gotten or ever will get was/will never be enough.

Hakeem the Dream is the most underrated player in NBA history IMO. He was unstoppable and practically dominant for more than a decade on both ends of the floor. Whatever publicity, accolades he's ever gotten or ever will get was/will never be enough.

I think he's definitely an all time great, but his offense is so overrated. His shooting efficiency wasn't really that great. He had all those moves that looked pretty but Robinson, Shaq, and several of his peers were siginificantly more effective.

This is literally everybody I looked at. I didn't exclude anybody who shot worse than him.

Player - Career TS%, Best TS% During Prime
Shaq - .586, .605
Robinson - .583, .615
Zo - .583, .596
Parish - .572, .620
M Malone - .570, .604
Ewing - .553, .607
Hakeem - .553, .577
Average C - .532

.030 might not seem like a big difference, but Hakeem is closer to league average than he is to Zo, Robinson, and Shaq

Also FWIW, Mutumbo - .573, .621

I think he's definitely an all time great, but his offense is so overrated. His shooting efficiency wasn't really that great. He had all those moves that looked pretty but Robinson, Shaq, and several of his peers were siginificantly more effective.

Spurs fan?

Couldn't disagree more. Hakeem had a skill set that neither Robinson nor Shaq had. Shaq was a brute who's fg% was built on dunk after dunk after dunk. The Admiral was great, just a phenomenal athlete at his size, but he just didn't have the offensive skill that Olajuwon did.

As far as their offensive efficiency, it's a difficult, involved calculation. All I know is that they had virtually identical field goal percentages and Olajuwon scored a much greater percent of his points from the field than Robinson who, despite playing 250 or so fewer games in his career, had 600 more free throw makes despite a similar free throw % (73.6 vs 71.2).

Also consider that Olajuwon averaged more points per game, more rebounds per game and retired as the all-time leader in blocked shots in NBA history.

Finally, Robinson's numbers/stats went down across the board in his playoff games compared to his regular season stats while Olajuwon's all went up across the board.

Bottom line for me...Robinson was an all-time great, a top 10 NBA center all-time.....but Olajuwon was even better.

Spurs fan?

**** the Spurs

Couldn't disagree more. Hakeem had a skill set that neither Robinson nor Shaq had. Shaq was a brute who's fg% was built on dunk after dunk after dunk. The Admiral was great, just a phenomenal athlete at his size, but he just didn't have the offensive skill that Olajuwon did.

100% agree, but having the best skill set doesn't mean you are the best at putting the ball in the hole. The proof is in the numbers. Hakeem's best year is less efficient than Robinson's and Shaq's average.

As far as their offensive efficiency, it's a difficult, involved calculation. All I know is that they had virtually identical field goal percentages and Olajuwon scored a much greater percent of his points from the field than Robinson who, despite playing 250 or so fewer games in his career, had 600 more free throw makes despite a similar free throw % (73.6 vs 71.2).

It's because Robinson worked harder to get deep in the post, whereas Hakeem was content with a 10' hook shot. You don't foul a hook-shot. You foul on dunks and layups.

This is literally everybody I looked at. I didn't exclude anybody who shot worse than him.

Player - Career TS%, Best TS% During Prime
Shaq - .586, .605
Robinson - .583, .615
Zo - .583, .596
Parish - .572, .620
M Malone - .570, .604
Ewing - .553, .607
Hakeem - .553, .577
Average C - .532

.030 might not seem like a big difference, but Hakeem is closer to league average than he is to Zo, Robinson, and Shaq

Also FWIW, Mutumbo - .573, .621

I am like an analytical approach in some aspects when it relates to sports.... David Robinson is a close comparison but I would still take Olajuwon on offense against him....Zo, however, Should not even be in the discussion when comparing him to the dream.

I am like an analytical approach in some aspects when it relates to sports.... David Robinson is a close comparison but I would still take Olajuwon on offense against him....Zo, however, Should not even be in the discussion when comparing him to the dream.

In Robinson vs Hakeem, I think it depends on what you want/need. Do you want a guy to dominate the ball and carry the offense, or do you have a balanced offense and you want a guy who can do more with less?

It also depends on the rules. Modern rules would neuter Hakeem and Robinson would thrive (though he wouldn't score as much as he did before).

In Robinson vs Hakeem, I think it depends on what you want/need. Do you want a guy to dominate the ball and carry the offense, or do you have a balanced offense and you want a guy who can do more with less?

It also depends on the rules. Modern rules would neuter Hakeem and Robinson would thrive (though he wouldn't score as much as he did before).

How would they neuter Hakeem?

Reactions: 1 person
How would they neuter Hakeem?

Have you noticed back to the basket offense is nearly dead*? Everybody claims it's because guys just don't have the skill set, but nobody develops it because it doesn't work as well when you can play zone D and double away from the ball.

Also, they used to let Shaq and Hakeem crush guys when they backed them down. Now the defender just hits the deck and it's an offensive foul every time.

*it's moved further away from the basket and it's less aggressive: Pau, Dirk, Aldridge, Lopez, etc.

VN Store

Back