1. OKC
2. GS
3. SA
4. HOU
5. LAC
6. MEM
7. NO
8. UTAH/ DAL

The top 6 really is wide open IMO. Even if those teams remain at full health, it wouldn't shock me to see the standings look completely different when it's all said and done at the end of the season. The West really is loaded once again. There are several teams capable of winning it all. Go Grizzlies!

Houston assuming Ty Lawson has his head on straight.

1. OKC
2. GSW
3. SA
4. MEM
5. LAC
6. HOU
7. NO
8. UTAH

1-6 are pretty interchangeable. The winner of the west could come from any of those 6, IMO.

I don't think the west standings tell much. The playoffs are a different animal from the regular season. The teams built the best for the playoffs in the west are OKC, Memphis, GSW, and SA.

1. OKC (If KD and Russ can stay healthy)
2. SA
3. GS
4. Houston
5. Memphis
6. LAC
7. Mavs
8. NOLA

Like what everyone else has said, I think the top 6 can all make the finals. The Spurs adding LA and David West makes them scary in the post. But I think my Thunder finally have the right pieces at the 4 and 5 this year, which has held them back ever year.

I'm just glad that the Lakers are still not in the playoff picture :)

That last 2 spots are tough. Dallas, phx, Nola, and Utah all seem like hit or misses this year

SA
GS
OKC
Houston
Memphis
LAC
NO
Phoenix

Last edited:
Whoever wins the West will have to play Lebron so it doesn't matter. I doubt the East ever gets good again in Lebrons career so as long as he stays there he has a walk-in to the title series.

Whoever wins the West will have to play Lebron so it doesn't matter. I doubt the East ever gets good again in Lebrons career so as long as he stays there he has a walk-in to the title series.

Still won't win the title

That's a bold pick with Utah. I know Huff likes that pick.

I really like Hayward. Favors has quietly developed into a really good player. I think Gobert is going to be a great player/borderline superstar, anyone that knows my stance on superstars that's a huge compliment. Burks is decent. Burke is hot garbage though. They really needed Exum healthy and progressing. Honestly its about the other borderline teams. Portland is going to be terrible, I don't see Phoenix really improving, and losing Tyson then the DJ thing will kill the Mavs. IMO

Yeah for me the Jazz aren't super exciting, it's just that after the first 6 teams, there seems to be a clear gap. Jazz have some good players. Them and NOLA could make some noise. The Suns took a step back. As much as I like Knight/Bledsoe I don't think they can carry a team. Portland has regressed so much. Damian is in for a tough couple years. West is super stacked at the top, evenly sucky at the bottom imo.

I agree the top 6 are monsters, the 6 seed would probably be the 2 seed in the East. Then a big drop to about 4 teams competing for the last 2 spots.

I agree the top 6 are monsters, the 6 seed would probably be the 2 seed in the East. Then a big drop to about 4 teams competing for the last 2 spots.

Certainly a top 3 seed IMO. Last year the West's 6 seed would of been a 2 seed in the East. The 7th a 3 seed, and the 8th a 6th seed. The West's 9th, 10th, and 11th placed teams would of been playoff teams in the East.

Has the league every been this unbalanced? I honestly don't know. I know people talk about how East used to be better, and it's just a trend throughout history, but ever to this extent? We basically know Lebron is a lock and that the top 6 in the West would wipe their ass with the East.

Has the league every been this unbalanced? I honestly don't know. I know people talk about how East used to be better, and it's just a trend throughout history, but ever to this extent? We basically know Lebron is a lock and that the top 6 in the West would wipe their ass with the East.

I don't remember it being this lopsided, especially for this long. Since 2000 the East has had a better record against the West only once at 50.5%. The West been at 55% or better 12 times and 60% or better twice.

Certainly a top 3 seed IMO. Last year the West's 6 seed would of been a 2 seed in the East. The 7th a 3 seed, and the 8th a 6th seed. The West's 9th, 10th, and 11th placed teams would of been playoff teams in the East.

Especially if you stuck them in the East for a full year, where they would have an easier schedule. If say Memphis was playing the East 52 games and the West 30, they probably win another14-16 games.

The 90's were the best years for the East. It seems like the west has been more dominant the rest of the decades. Minus when Russell/Bird was with the Celtics.

The Spurs are playing for the 7th best record in NBA history.

The Dub's are playing for the best record in League history. In the same season.

Is the league getting better, or worse?? Should we expect more historic seasons, or was this one an outlier?

The Spurs are playing for the 7th best record in NBA history.

The Dub's are playing for the best record in League history. In the same season.

Is the league getting better, or worse?? Should we expect more historic seasons, or was this one an outlier?

I've never really understood how people can compare the league now to past eras by looking at team records. Whether there are dominant teams at the top or not has no bearing on how good the league is as a whole IMO, but people try to make those arguments all the time, particularly in college basketball.

I prefer arguments based on other aspects of the game, like "the 90s were better because the big men were amazing." or "2016 is better because most positions are bigger, faster, stronger and more skilled at outside shooting".

VN Store

Back