2015 NBA Pre-Draft Thread

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
With the NBA combine finished and the lottery tonight, figured this would be a thread to talk about my favorite draft of all of them.

Just a few thoughts

1) I think my top five Big Board would be in order: Karl Anthony-Towns, Jahlil Okafor, D'Angelo Russell, Stanley Johnson, and Emmanuel Mudiay. I think the top four will be legitimate NBA all-star players with Mudiay right behind him. I think Towns has a chance to be a top ten player in the league.

2) This draft is pretty deep and a lot of contenders will get some good players. Players like Justin Anderson, Montrezl Harrell, Jarell Martin, and Jerian Grant are lottery talents that could fall into the 20's this year. I'm really interested to see where Justin Anderson goes because he could be a guy that gets in the rotation for a title contender next year.

3) Outside the lottery, I think three teams really need to hit on their draft pick this year. Atlanta gets to swap picks with Brooklyn and will get the number 15th pick. With Millsap being a UFA and Horford close to hitting the market, Atlanta really needs to grab a legitimate 3rd big man with their pick. A guy like Frank Kaminsky or Bobby Portis could really help the Hawks. I also think Chicago needs to find that third guard off the bench. With Rose's injury concerns, Butler being an RFA, and Dunleavy being a UFA, the Bulls need perimeter help. Maybe someone like Jerian Grant. Also Memphis could find some young, athletic shooters in this draft. They could potentially get a Justin Anderson or Rashad Vaughn that would fit well.

4) I think the most underrated non top 10 pick of the draft is Devin Booker. He's a superstar shooter than can play defense and doesn't have to have the ball to make an impact. He's smart and is sneaky athletic. I really think he would fit well for a team like Oklahoma City or Boston, where he doesn't have to carry the team and can fit into a rotation easily.

5) If you are looking for a bust, I don't like Kelly Oubre's game. Too much baggage, a guy that doesn't really have a role or one particular skill. How many times have you seen super athletic wing that doesn't do anything really well fail in the NBA? A bunch of times. Also, I'm not sure I'm buying Myles Turner stock. He will most likely be a rotation player but I wouldn't take him in the top ten.

It won't, but assuming the draft order doesn't change at all, here is my mock draft so far

1) Minnesota- Karl-Anthony Towns
2) New York- Jahlil Okafor
3) Philadelphia- Emmanuel Mudiay
4) Los Angeles Lakers- Willie Cauley-Stein
5) Orlando Magic- D'Angelo Russell
6) Sacramento Kings- Mario Henzonja
7) Denver Nuggets- Kristaps Porzingis
8) Detroit Pistons- Stanley Johnson
9) Charlotte Hornets- Justise Winslow
10) Miami Heat- Frank Kaminsky
11) Indiana Pacers- Kelly Oubre
12) Utah Jazz- Cameron Payne
13) Phoenix Suns- Myles Turner
14) Oklahoma City Thunder- Devin Booker

I believe it was reported the TWolves preferred Okafor over Towns. Personally I don't really see a huge difference short term, but maybe long term I'd take the more well rounded player; Towns for his defense.

WCS at 4 would be such a reach. He's basically a skinny Deandre Jordan. WCS would get bullied by guys, whereas DJ has the ability to go against guys like Howard. But I bet a team will reach and take him in the top 10. Smh.

From the very limited stuff on Porzingis, I can't believe he's rumored to be a top 3 talent. Dude is so long, but very skinny and I didn't see any offensive moves other than catch/dunk/etc etc. I didn't see anything from last year on Mudiay, and my gut feeling is that he falls out of the top 5. Was he all that impressive in China? Not sure.

Cameron Payne reminds me of Trey Burke. Although he is bigger, a nice wingspan, and more athletic. I kinda hope he ends up on a good team, not a team like the Jazz.

Agreed on Turner/Oubre. They definitely have the bodies but the skill and production will be interesting to see.

I'm still very nervous about Booker. He has the tools, and I hope he lives to the hype. He has potential to be every bit the equal of Klay Thompson with some time in the league. Same for Lyles, who has potential to be a fantastic stretch 4 with his skills.

Okafor is clearly better than Towns statistically speaking, but Towns was more platooned, plus they are both so young and one season is not a great predictor. Gotta go with Okafor though.

Okafor is clearly better than Towns statistically speaking, but Towns was more platooned, plus they are both so young and one season is not a great predictor. Gotta go with Okafor though.

Towns>Okafor

Not sure it's that close.

Okafor is a better offensive player right now but it's much closer than people think. Coach K revolved his offense around Okafor's post game and Cal mainly used the dribble drive/pick and roll game so Towns didn't get as many opportunities. Right now Towns is the better defender, rebounder, and free throw shooter. He's also athletic enough to play the four and has decent touch from 15 feet, something Okafor doesn't have.

Okafor is going to be really good, but Towns is and will be the better player.

Towns>Okafor

Not sure it's that close.

Yeah, but I think differently than the establishment, and they value size and athleticism more than I do.

Okafor shot 66% and scored 17 ppg in the ACC. I can't imagine the list of guys that have done that is very long. Is he the only one on the list?

Tim Duncan never shot 61%.

Okafor is unbelievable, and more of a sure thing, IMO. Towns is tempting from an upside perspective, but I think Okafor has tremendous upside too.

Stats aren't super useful but they are a neat picture into what the players did. Rebounding is somewhat equal, offense definitely to Okafor (but not a huge difference) and defense solidly to Towns. It depends on whether you want elite offense/mediocre defense or above average in both. The things like free throw shooting, toughness, and potential might make Towns 1st.

Stats or eyeball or whatever, they are close. I honestly don't care like a lot of UK fans do if Towns doesn't go 1. Okafor and Towns will both be going to crappy teams probably. I hope he can at least be in the playoffs before his rookie contract is up. I was so disappointed Boggie locked himself until 2018 to that craphole.

Okafor is a better offensive player right now but it's much closer than people think. Coach K revolved his offense around Okafor's post game and Cal mainly used the dribble drive/pick and roll game so Towns didn't get as many opportunities. Right now Towns is the better defender, rebounder, and free throw shooter. He's also athletic enough to play the four and has decent touch from 15 feet, something Okafor doesn't have.

Okafor is going to be really good, but Towns is and will be the better player.

The rebounding isn't a huge difference really, but you make a good point about how the systems change what the numbers are. Honestly I think Okafor is the best offensive player ever in the college game from a low post perspective. It's not close.

Yeah, but I think differently than the establishment, and they value size and athleticism more than I do.

Okafor shot 66% and scored 17 ppg in the ACC. I can't imagine the list of guys that have done that is very long. Is he the only one on the list?

Tim Duncan never shot 61%.

Okafor is unbelievable, and more of a sure thing, IMO. Towns is tempting from an upside perspective, but I think Okafor has tremendous upside too.

66% is highly impressive. The dude is a monster down low but that's one stat. However, he's a sieve defensively. He's not as good of an athlete as Towns. Towns is a better rebounder and passer statistically. He's a wayyyyyyyyyy better defender. Averaged 4.2 blocks per 40. He's an elite free throw shooter for a big man at 81.3%, where Okafor barely cracks 50%. Plus, Towns is really good in the post too. Not as natural as Okafor but still really good.

You take away field goal percentage (where Towns shot 56.6% from the field) and Towns is the better player.

The rebounding isn't a huge difference really, but you make a good point about how the systems change what the numbers are. Honestly I think Okafor is the best offensive player ever in the college game from a low post perspective. It's not close.

Probably since Duncan. There are guys like Shaq, Ewing, Robinson, Hakeem that dominated offensively.

The problem is Okafor has legitimate concerns. He's not a great athlete. He's flat out bad defensively. He struggles from the line. He can't shoot outside 8 feet. Towns honestly doesn't have any weakness. Plus Towns is a good enough athlete to play the 4, where Okafor is strictly a 5.

Honestly, Towns is probably one of the five best prospects in the last ten years to go with Durant, Rose, Griffin, and Davis just from my perspective. People are fairly infatuated with Okafor's offense and should be because he's elite. But you look at the bigger picture and you see how good Towns really is from an offensive and defensive perspective.

Stats aren't super useful but they are a neat picture into what the players did. Rebounding is somewhat equal, offense definitely to Okafor (but not a huge difference) and defense solidly to Towns. It depends on whether you want elite offense/mediocre defense or above average in both. The things like free throw shooting, toughness, and potential might make Towns 1st.

Stats or eyeball or whatever, they are close. I honestly don't care like a lot of UK fans do if Towns doesn't go 1. Okafor and Towns will both be going to crappy teams probably. I hope he can at least be in the playoffs before his rookie contract is up. I was so disappointed Boggie locked himself until 2018 to that craphole.

There is a world of difference, IMO.

The biggest question mark for me is what will Okafor's body do? No matter what, he'll get stronger, but is he going to balloon or trim up the baby fat?

There is a world of difference, IMO.

The biggest question mark for me is what will Okafor's body do? No matter what, he'll get stronger, but is he going to balloon or trim up the baby fat?

Okafor= 64.1 TS%/14.8 ORB%/9.4 AST%/15.6 TOV%/6.8 FTA per 40

Towns= 62.7 TS%/14.2 ORB%/11.6 AST%/14.2 TOV%/6.5 FTA per 40

There isn't a world of difference. Hell there isn't a difference at all. It's the same.

Okafor= 64.1 TS%/14.8 ORB%/9.4 AST%/15.6 TOV%/6.8 FTA per 40

Towns= 62.7 TS%/14.2 ORB%/11.6 AST%/14.2 TOV%/6.5 FTA per 40

There isn't a world of difference. Hell there isn't a difference at all. It's the same.

I'm talking about +.010 FG%. That's an absurd margin. Okafor can learn to shoot 75% from the line. That's the easiest skill to learn at the pro level.

I'm talking about +.010 FG%. That's an absurd margin. Okafor can learn to shoot 75% from the line. That's the easiest skill to learn at the pro level.

Or he might still be a 50% free throw shooter. Just because he can doesn't mean he will. Look at Jordan and Drummond.

And that's one stat against all the others where Okafor has a huge advantage. Towns has him beat in every other one or is basically tied with him. Plus, if you watch them play, you tell how much better Towns is defensively than Okafor and how good Towns is on offense. Also, Towns shot 57%. It's not like he was below average.

Towns may be the better player. I won't mind admitting it if I am wrong (I was wrong about Drummond). It's hard to judge freshmen off 1 year of stats. It's hard to judge college players, no matter what. One thing I do know is 66% translates to the next level. I think Towns will be great, and he probably has more upside.

Personally I want Dekker, but I have faith in whoever we pick. Presti has been pretty great at drafting the right guys, not a lot of misses.

The obvious pick for the Grizz is RJ Hunter, if he's available. Best pure shooter in the draft

Okafor has one thing he can do. Catch the ball and make a play. Now obviously he is just so elite on the one end it covers it up at the college level. But take Karl's best quality away and he still is solid on the other end. Take Okafor's away and what is he?

Okafor has one thing he can do. Catch the ball and make a play. Now obviously he is just so elite on the one end it covers it up at the college level. But take Karl's best quality away and he still is solid on the other end. Take Okafor's away and what is he?

But why would you take it away?

The obvious pick for the Grizz is RJ Hunter, if he's available. Best pure shooter in the draft

Hunter is really going to struggle to guard in the NBA and i'm not sure how well he will play off ball.

I like Towns. By a wide margin.

VN Store

Back