To 'take a dive' or 'not to take a dive'...thats the question...

Ducreux

Lets assume you are the majority owner of a NBA team. The team hes never won a championship and in fact haven't had a winning season in 10+ years. You have good fans but ticket sales, merchandising, etc is suffering...if you can't stop the bleeding you may to consider drastic measures including moving the team... A week of the season remains and you were neck and neck with a couple of other teams as to who was going to end up with the worst record. The other 2 teams have a less difficult remaining schedule than you do.

FOR THE PURPOSE OF THIS EXERCISE lets assume the team that finishes with the worst record for the season GETS the first draft choice in the upcoming draft.

In the draft there is a 'can't miss' once in a lifetime player available...a Lebron James kind of player.

The way the rules are constructed there is no negotiating in terms of salary and his salary is predetermined regardless if he's a 'typical run of the mill' number 1 draft pick or a 'once in a lifetime player.

Do you order your team to do whatever is required to make certain they finish with the worst record....bottom line do you order your team to intentionally lose games?

Yes or No?

Last edited:
No. The odds between the worst record and second or third aren't that different. Maybe 5-10%. Unless it's changed without my knowledge.

Reactions: 1 person
It definitely worked out well for the San Antonio Spurs when they were able to draft Duncan with the #1 overall pick back in 1997 after having finished first in the Midwest Division the previous year. No one wants to "take a dive" but it is often the best decision for the organization from a business and economic stand point. Duncan has helped San Antonio win 4 championships.

Lets assume you are the majority owner of a NBA team. The team hes never won a championship and in fact haven't had a winning season in 10+ years. You have good fans but ticket sales, merchandising, etc is suffering...if you can't stop the bleeding you may to consider drastic measures including moving the team... A week of the season remains and you were neck and neck with a couple of other teams as to who was going to end up with the worst record. The other 2 teams have a less difficult remaining schedule than you do.

The team that finishes with the worst record for the season has a much higher statistical chance to get the first draft choice in the upcoming draft.

In the draft there is a 'can't miss' once in a lifetime player available...a Lebron James kind of player.

The way the rules are constructed there is no negotiating in terms of salary and his salary is predetermined regardless if he's a 'typical run of the mill' number 1 draft pick or a 'once in a lifetime player.

Do you order your team to do whatever is required to make certain they finish with the worst record....bottom line do you order your team to intentionally lose games?

Yes or No?

As a sixer fan we are in full tank mode......we are going doooooooowwwwwwnnnnnn......wouldnt throw games but i would want the best chance at that first pick

NO! No tanking. You don't have to give "110%" but intentional losses are unethical and unfair to other teams trying to position themselves for success.

As a sixer fan we are in full tank mode......we are going doooooooowwwwwwnnnnnn......wouldnt throw games but i would want the best chance at that first pick

Hoping for the same from my Lakers. Would love to get Jabari Parker.

can't compare the 2

NBA players always have next season. Asking seniors to tank the final games of their career is ridiculous

Reactions: 4 people
Hoping for the same from my Lakers. Would love to get Jabari Parker.

I havent made up my mind between him and wiggins.....we dumped almost every nba level player we have in our pursuit of number one.

No, because everyone knows the NBA draft is fixed and the Celtics and Lakers are getting the 1st and 2nd pick this year.

Yes - I attempt to facilitate getting that pick, but in a way that does not ask the players to perform at less than their peak. I maybe take a chance on a D-League guy (or two or three) and instruct the coach to give him plenty of minutes. I tell the coach to give veterans (who are likely the best players on the team) plenty of rest in the name of health.

Being past the trade deadline makes it difficult to do much more than that - no ability to trade for expiring contracts, etc.

Yes - I attempt to facilitate getting that pick, but in a way that does not ask the players to perform at less than their peak. I maybe take a chance on a D-League guy (or two or three) and instruct the coach to give him plenty of minutes. I tell the coach to give veterans (who are likely the best players on the team) plenty of rest in the name of health.

Being past the trade deadline makes it difficult to do much more than that - no ability to trade for expiring contracts, etc.

This. Get your youngins a lot of PT...not saying any names but let Kobe sit on the bench and milk his injury...sorry had to get my lakers jab in there :)

For Sure! I would never go against Tennessee regardless of what happens if they win. I didn't go to a single game this year and gave tickets away but I still watch on tv or listen on the radio. I couldn't imagine getting excited if Tennessee lost.

There are good college teams thay could beat the Sixers. Although through all the trades they got about five second draft pics.we will see what happens next year.

The solution is simple and doesn't involve plots or schemes, keep the coach for the contract term or fire his ass and and pay that ridiculous, unnecessary, by out.

I'm not sure as an owner, but as a Milwaukee Buck fan, I sure as heck hope they lose out for that number 1 pick.

I actually do......I think he will grow his game alot the next few yrs.....some of the things he does on the court is special.

To start the season I might have tried arguing he is a little overrated. But the more I watch him the more I think his best years are ahead of him.

When he starts being more aggressive offensively and taking the ball to the basket, he is going to be he!! to guard.

If should be rather obvious that my post is an hypothetical one and its purpose is to address ones business savvy...

I said nothing about college, only the NBA

by posting it in the UT bball forum instead of the NBA forum I would say you absolutely connected it to college ball

VN Store

Back