#1 Heat v. #3 Pacers: Eastern Conference Finals!

Great matchup, Pacers will give the Heat a run for their money. In the end, too much LeBron.

Miami in 6.

The Pacers have now officially reached the point where they have met/exceeded my expectations for this year, and every win from here on will just be icing on the cake. Since last May, I've wanted them to get another shot at the Heat, and now they have it.

This series is going to be fascinating to watch. The Pacers have played the Heat as well or better than just about any other team in the league this year, and present several matchup problems.

Another dynamic that is going to be fun to watch is the contrasting styles/cities that these teams represent. On one hand, you've got the Pacers, very much a blue collar team from the midwest that was built carefully and meticulously over the course of several years through shrewd trades and solid draft picks, and can attribute much of its success to hard work on the defensive end and on the boards. On any given night, one of about 5 guys can be the star in a winning performance. On the other hand you have the flashy team from Miami that was built on three superstars desire for instant gratification. They've got the best player in the league who FINALLY showed last spring that is capable of single handedly destroying an opponent when he puts his mind to it. The Heat are going to need Wade to be at least somewhat healthy and contributing on a nightly basis if they want to win this series.

I am REALLY looking forward to this series. I think the Pacers will put up a good fight, but in the end the Heat are probably just too strong. I'll go with the Heat in 6, but I'm tempted to go with 7 because I think winning a closeout game in Indiana will be no small feat. The Pacers have been very good on their home floor this year, and have yet to lose there in the postseason.

One other little side story in play here is that with every win the Grizzlies and Pacers collect, it puts us one step closer to the NBA's nightmare scenario (and a small market fans dream) of a Memphis vs. Indiana Finals. I'm fairly certain that almost nobody aside from fans of those teams would be watching, but I'd love to see it.

Heat in 6, but holy crap I'm wondering if the Heat can withstand the physicality of playing the Pacers then the Grizz back-to-back. We're talking 10-14 straight games against the toughest interior teams in the league.

Heat in 6, but holy crap I'm wondering if the Heat can withstand the physicality of playing the Pacers then the Grizz back-to-back. We're talking 10-14 straight games against the toughest interior teams in the league.

True story. If we win I want to play the Heat just to beat Lebron again, but it would be awesome to have two small market teams in the Finals. And I have respect for the Pacers.

Really, really, really want an Indiana-Memphis Finals. To not only piss off Stern but to have an old school type series again.

Reactions: 1 person
I want the pacers to win, but I don't think the refs will allow Indiana to play physical since it's Miami!

I wanted to be "that guy" who complains about the officiating before anything happens.

Reactions: 2 people
Miami in 5. Hope I'm wrong cause this was a great series last year and I'd like to see it go 6 or 7 but I just have a feeling it won't.

I want the pacers to win, but I don't think the refs will allow Indiana to play physical since it's Miami!

I wanted to be "that guy" who complains about the officiating before anything happens.

lol

Just as long as it's not like the Mavs/Heat in 2006 when the refs turned Wade into Michael Jordan. That was cringe worthy lol.

Heat fans might actually be surprised... aside from a healthy Thunder team, I said going into the playoffs that the Pacers, Grizzlies and Clippers all have the best chance of knocking off the Heat. The Heat will always have a mismatch with Lebron being able to play 4 positions but these teams have a mismatch with their size. Pacers were up 2-1 on Miami last season and Lebron had to put up 40pts 18rebs 9asts 2stls and 2blks in game 4 just to squeak out a win.

Should also be noted that over the last 10 games...
Game 48: Pacers - of 66
Playoff 1: Heat
Playoff 2: Pacers
Playoff 3: Pacers
Playoff 4: Heat
Playoff 5: Heat
Playoff 6: Heat
Game 35: Pacers - of 82
Game 47: Pacers - of 82
Game 63: Heat - of 82
-----
5-5

Playoffs are a different beast but Pacers have held their own. And, they're not the same team as last year. David West and George Hill were in their 1st season with the team and Frank Vogel was a 1st year head coach. Miami can attest to some growing pains of a newly assembled team and creating chemistry. Not to mention, David West tore his ACL with 10 games remaining in the season with the Hornets so he was still recovering from the injury last season. He has looked like a different player this season now that he's a season removed from rehabbing. And George Hill was playing with the bench unit and didn't take over as starter til the end of the season. He was only a starter for 9 games and only played in 50 of 66 games last season. You also have Paul George who has taken a giant leap forward since last season making him a new player and Lance Stephenson is the anti-Granger. Granger relied on being a good jump shooter and Lance Stephenson relies on being a slasher. They both fill up the stat sheet but do it with a different style.

I think it's safe to say the Pacers won't be intimidated because they saw the Heat last year and know what they're in for. The biggest thing will be, how will the refs officiate the game...? The Pacers have been given a lot of respect from the refs after their defensive performance this season. Number one in field goal percentage, three point percentage, rebounding and number two in points allowed.

I hope to see more of this...

Hibbert-Block-CJ-Zero.gif

guyismblock.gif

Ultimately, I think the Heat will win in 6 or 7 but I think the Pacers could pull the upset depending on the officiating. If they're going to call every ticky tack foul, the Heat will win no problem. If they let the Pacers get away with murder, I say game on. Also, Hibbert was demolishing Chandler on the boards and he's bigger/better than any of Miami's bigs. If Hibbert can carry that type of effort over to this series, he could average 15 boards.

I'm not going to get my hopes up but I do think the Pacers have a punchers chance. Quite frankly, I think the Heat's easiest route to beating the Pacers is making the extra pass to their role players for 3's. I think they could win relatively easy if they play as decoys and kick it out. They'll make it harder on themselves if the big 3 are trying to do it all because the Pacers are really disciplined and will be all over them like white on rice. Kick it to the open snipers and I fear getting lit up. Hold on to it and I like the Pacers ability to force misses.

Hibbert will not be averaging 15 boards a game.

I wouldn't entirely rule it out. The Heat were one of the worst rebounding teams in the league this year. Of course, if LeBron just dunks it every time and the Heat shoot something insane like 60% from the field, the clearly there aren't going to be enough rebounds to go around to get Hibbert that many.

I'll go ahead and be the brave/dumb one here, Pacers in 7. All small market final, anyone remember the last time that happened? I'm too lazy to Google search and I'm too hungover to think

I'll go ahead and be the brave/dumb one here, Pacers in 7. All small market final, anyone remember the last time that happened? I'm too lazy to Google search and I'm too hungover to think

Pretty sure it was Sacramento v. New Orleans back in 1978.

I have no idea, I just made that up.

2007 was spurs/cavs and 2005 was spurs/pistons

VN Store

Back