David Stern

Nerd-Vol

What are y'alls thoughts on the Stern?

He seems like a dull personality, and somewhat heavy handed, but he has done a lot for the sport. What do you all think.

I can't stand what he does most of the time, but I can't really fault him on most things (he's just responding to his incentives). It pisses me off how much he's wussified basketball. The league as a business has improved substantially on his watch so he's got that going for him.

I can't stand what he does most of the time, but I can't really fault him on most things (he's just responding to his incentives). It pisses me off how much he's wussified basketball. The league as a business has improved substantially on his watch so he's got that going for him.

How do you think it's wussified? The flops?

I know they don't play the ball they played in the 90's but it gets pretty rough.

How do you think it's wussified? The flops?

I know they don't play the ball they played in the 90's but it gets pretty rough.

I hate that they banned the hand-check. I hate that players like Kevin Durant have moves specifically designed to draw fouls, and if you are going to allow that crap why not give the D a break and allow a hand check? I hate that they allow flopping.

Maybe the biggest factor of all is the way suspensions are assessed for fighting. Something that would get you tossed for 5 games in baseball will get you tossed for 15 games in NBA (and baseball season is twice as long). If you are going to undercut my teammate on a fast break, I might just punch you in the face. Next time you'll think twice about it. Basketball makes a much bigger deal out of this type of activity than any other sport because they are worried about a "thuggish" image. I think the players should be given a little more leniency in "enforcing" a code of conduct on the court.

I mean, look at Mark Jackson...he used to be a tough dude, and he was calling the Nuggets "hitmen". That's how wimpy the league is. He needs to back and watch Bulls/Knicks early 90s.

Reactions: 1 person
I hate that they banned the hand-check. I hate that players like Kevin Durant have moves specifically designed to draw fouls, and if you are going to allow that crap why not give the D a break and allow a hand check? I hate that they allow flopping.

Banned the hand check? Literally 1 minute into every NBA game I've ever watch someone "hand checks" without it being called.

I wish you would expound. Not because I necessarily disagree, I would like hear some examples since I have only been watching the NBA for 3-4 years.

Corruptions, favoritism, lack of professionalism. The "refs" he employs are absolutey a shame. Just an overall snake. Rejecting the Chris Paul trade, New Orleans pulling the 1st pick etc et al. Read "Blowing the Whistle" by Tim Donaghy (disgraced referee)

Maybe the biggest factor of all is the way suspensions are assessed for fighting. Something that would get you tossed for 5 games in baseball will get you tossed for 15 games in NBA (and baseball season is twice as long). If you are going to undercut my teammate on a fast break, I might just punch you in the face. Next time you'll think twice about it. Basketball makes a much bigger deal out of this type of activity than any other sport because they are worried about a "thuggish" image. I think the players should be given a little more leniency in "enforcing" a code of conduct on the court.

I mean, look at Mark Jackson...he used to be a tough dude, and he was calling the Nuggets "hitmen". That's how wimpy the league is. He needs to back and watch Bulls/Knicks early 90s.

I get what you are saying, and I don't like that moves are designed to get people to draw fouls.

But isn't shaking that image an important thing?

I get what you are saying, and I don't like that moves are designed to get people to draw fouls.

But isn't shaking that image an important thing?

I guess if it brings in more fans. The root of the issue is in stereotypes, IMO. If it's hockey guys fighting they are loveable goons. If it's NBA players then they are thugs and we can't have our kids see that. I think the thuggish image is a result of perception moreso than it is reality.

Banned the hand check? Literally 1 minute into every NBA game I've ever watch someone "hand checks" without it being called.

Hand Checking: A defender may not place and keep his hand on an opponent unless he is in the area near the basket with his back to the basket. A defender may momentarily touch an opponent with his hand anywhere on the court as long as it does not affect the opponentÂ’s movement (speed, quickness, balance, rhythm).

NBA.com - Explaining the NBAÂ’s Most Misunderstood Rules

I guess if it brings in more fans. The root of the issue is in stereotypes, IMO. If it's hockey guys fighting they are loveable goons. If it's NBA players then they are thugs and we can't have our kids see that. I think the thuggish image is a result of perception moreso than it is reality.

Great summation.

Yeah. I don't know if you've seen a basketball game, but the refs miss calls sometimes.

Don't refs make mistakes in a lot of sports?

Huff, do you think the sport is in a good place? Follow up, do you like the direction it is headed? It seems like stat heads are starting to get some loving these days with Hollinger getting picked up.

When I was a kid, the NBA finals were shows on tape delay after the local news at 11:30 pm. It was only a couple years after that that Stern became commissioner. He is a giant ass, but no sport has ever jumped forward so much under one commissioner.

The death of defensive basketball. Small market teams. Seattle. Hand checks. Flopping. Chris Paul/Hornets. Tim Donaghy. The condensed season. Draft age requirement. Olympics. Just to name the glaring examples.

The NBA has grown while Stern's been in charge, but the guy's a massive doosh. The NBA was better by orders of magnitude 15+ years ago, and its decline is just about 100% Stern's fault.

tl;dr: **** Stern

Reactions: 3 people
Isn't it just... Stern's right hand man?

The deputy commissioner Adam Silver.

Maybe Silver will have a spine of his own. :dunno:

In his various NBA roles over the past 20 years -- deputy commissioner, president of NBA Entertainment, chief of staff -- Silver, 50, has led many of the NBA's more delicate dealings, including television and merchandising deals around the globe. During the 2011 lockout, when it became routine for Silver to join Stern on the podium articulating the league's position, it became overtly clear: Whereas Stern might occasionally bungle a name or meander in his talk, Silver was the man with every necessary fact on the tip of his tongue.

At times over the past few years, Stern has deflected tough questions to Silver in news conferences in an apparent effort to bolster Silver's image as a leader. Other times, however, he has turned to Silver as an escape from thorny business questions. By the time Stern announced in February what had long been assumed internally -- that Silver was his choice to succeed him -- no close watcher could argue with the logic. Silver was the man with the command of seemingly every issue, from NBA China to ads on jerseys.

from espn

VN Store

Back