Allen Iverson hits rock bottom

utvolpj

Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
professional sports need to require players to hire financial planners. They live the high life for just a few years and spend the rest of their life scraping by. Likely to happen with any 20yo becoming an instant millionaire

Ex-NBA star Allen Iverson “has hit rock bottom” | Toronto Star

For the past three years, as Iverson chased an NBA comeback, his marriage fell apart and much of his fortune — he earned more than $150 million in salary alone during his career — dissolved. Now, those who once ignored past signals have recognized that basketball may have been the only thing holding Iverson’s life together.

“He has hit rock bottom, and he just hasn’t accepted it yet,” says former Philadelphia teammate Roshown McLeod.
Iverson stood during a divorce proceeding in Atlanta in 2012 and pulled out his pants pockets. “I don’t even have money for a cheeseburger,” he shouted toward his estranged wife, Tawanna, who then handed him $61.
According to a bank statement submitted in the divorce, the couple’s checking account was overdrawn by more than $23,000 in July 2011. In a single day, $23,255.36 was deducted – at a diamond store, a hat shop, a steakhouse and a hotel.

Reactions: 2 people
Professional sports shouldn't "require" a grown ass man to do anything.

if they cared about the players as people and wanted them to live a successful life they would. Simply calling them a "grown ass man" ignores many factors in their success/failure

at least he'll be rich again at 55yo (if he makes it that long)

Reebok signed him to a huge endorsement deal, including a deferred trust worth more than $30 million, a lump sum he can’t touch until he turns 55.

hopefully he doesn't figure out how to borrow against it

if they cared about the players as people and wanted them to live a successful life they would. Simply calling them a "grown ass man" ignores many factors in their success/failure

Yes, let's shelter these millionaires from making bad decisions. What, exactly is wrong with personal responsibility?

They shouldn't make that a requirement. People just need to not be gullible and have a little common sense.

Like, in Vince Young's case, was he too stupid to realize that routinely buying out every seat on a commercial airline was a bad decision? He needed a financial planner to tell him that?

Yes, let's shelter these millionaires from making bad decisions. What, exactly is wrong with personal responsibility?

I'm a fan of personal responsibility as long as the person is knowledgeable enough to make decisions. Assuming an 18-21yo kid who has never had anything and has zero guidance in life will make intelligent decisions when handed millions of dollars just seems like a recipe for disaster

There's a reason why this story will never be written about a Peyton Manning or Tiger Woods

I'm a fan of personal responsibility as long as the person is knowledgeable enough to make decisions. Assuming an 18-21yo kid who has never had anything and has zero guidance in life will make intelligent decisions when handed millions of dollars just seems like a recipe for disaster

There's a reason why this story will never be written about a Peyton Manning or Tiger Woods

I do understand what you're saying and I do agree with it to a certain extent but I feel like for every Allen Iverson there are 10 other players at least that came from somewhat of the same upbringing that never get themselves in these positions.

I do understand what you're saying and I do agree with it to a certain extent but I feel like for every Allen Iverson there are 10 other players at least that came from somewhat of the same upbringing that never get themselves in these positions.

I might agree if players like AI only mde up 10% and were the exception. Sadly they are almost the rule

Sports Illustrated estimated in 2009 that 78 percent of NFL players are bankrupt or facing serious financial stress within two years of ending their playing careers and that 60percent of NBA players are broke within five years of retiring from the game

maybe a requirement isn't the best answer but it beats tossing them out with no guidance after their body is used up

I might agree if players like AI only mde up 10% and were the exception. Sadly they are almost the rule

How many of those 78% or 60% squandered $5+ mil? Does it say? I'd be curious to know that.

Huge huge difference in squandering $150mil as opposed to $5mil.

Really? The average NFL player is retired by the age of 28.

and has made well over $1mil in income by that time. That person also has 3 years of college under their belt. With a little guidance they should be way ahead of your typical college grad at that point

It's sad that it happens but you have to be really stupid for it to happen. Not just stupid, but don't care at all for that matter.

Iverson probably made 15 million a year for almost a decade just on his basketball contract. 1 million dollars is 50,000 a year for 20 years. $50,000 a year is a solid middle class salary considering many teachers, cops and whatever other profession makes half that.

It's easy to blow through a million dollars, I'll give you that. But if you need someone to teach you how not to spend 15 million a year, you didn't deserve the money to begin with and order is restored when you end up broke. That may sound cold-hearted but there are bigger tragedies than people who piss away millions of dollars(partially earned on God given talent).

At least Michael Jackson and Mike Tyson have a legit excuse. Michael Jackson was probably molested and was overworked as a child with no real childhood. Mike Tyson was punched in the face by heavyweights and probably has brain damage. People like Allen Iverson and Antoine Walker are just stupid to begin with. I wish it hadn't happened to them and don't want them walking the streets but 18 year olds are sent overseas to die. Why should anyone care about 18-21 year olds who end up broke when they had millions of dollars to better themselves? They weren't exactly broke at 18-21 either. Their rookie contracts were nowhere near the contracts they got at 25 or 30. So in other words, they were still stupid at the age of 30. They never evolved and that's on them.

There are people with crap backgrounds who grow up with nothing, will never have anything and nobody feels sorry for them. They didn't ask for that life. Why should anyone feel sorry for people who are naturally fast, can naturally jump high and made millions playing a game for a living? Heck, they were given a scholarship they probably didn't earn as a student and took for granted they were given a free education to fall back on. And I'm certain some do in fact rely on God given talent which means they didn't work nearly as hard as other athletes. And what did they do with that God given talent? They took advantage of it and pissed it away. Antoine Walker was always a chub, was said to be lazy and didn't really give a crap. Jamarcus Russel? He has plenty of money for codeine now.

I get it... not everyone has a good upbringing and I was fortunate to have good parents. That doesn't change the fact that when you win the lottery and play a game for a living, you shouldn't need someone to tell you how not to piss away a hundred million dollars. Again, if you blow 100 million in a life time, you deserve to be broke. Blowing it in a decade is just embarrassing.

I'll just leave it at this... I see middle class families struggling to get by and not lose their home at the age of 50 after having busted their ass for 30 years. It's hard to feel sympathy for people who were filthy rich and now lack money. There are more important things in the world than money and those people chose to piss it away. I don't feel that bad when Allen Iverson says he doesn't have money for a cheeseburger after having been able to afford 20 million burgers(dollar burgers) a year for a decade. That really is all on him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
By the way the article was written, it seems like he's suicidal. Hope it doesn't come to that but you never know with people who had it all and then have nothing but debt and no way to pay it off.

We spend a lot of time making sure they can play the game. It wouldn't hurt to spend a little time educating them on what comes next (you know, the bulk of their lives). They are responsible for their decisions, no doubt, but it wouldn't hurt the leagues to impose a mandatory personal finance education program for rookies.

We spend a lot of time making sure they can play the game. It wouldn't hurt to spend a little time educating them on what comes next (you know, the bulk of their lives). They are responsible for their decisions, no doubt, but it wouldn't hurt the leagues to impose a mandatory personal finance education program for rookies.

Absurd.

It doesn't take a "personal finance education program" to teach someone that you can't support an entourage of 10+ people while also having 5 cars, 3 watches, 50 pairs of shoes, and a multimillion dollar home.

And the NFL already has something like this.

NFL Videos: Rookie Symposium

I'm not sure but players even making the league minimum shouldn't be broke in 2yrs.

Handled correctly, even $5mil sets you up pretty well

Pretty well? More like amazingly well. Hell, you could make 100k a year off the interest from that and live great with out spending a dime of it.

It's sad that it happens but you have to be really stupid for it to happen. Not just stupid, but don't care at all for that matter.

Iverson probably made 15 million a year for almost a decade just on his basketball contract. 1 million dollars is 50,000 a year for 20 years. $50,000 a year is a solid middle class salary considering many teachers, cops and whatever other profession makes half that.

It's easy to blow through a million dollars, I'll give you that. But if you need someone to teach you how not to spend 15 million a year, you didn't deserve the money to begin with and order is restored when you end up broke. That may sound cold-hearted but there are bigger tragedies than people who piss away millions of dollars(partially earned on God given talent).

At least Michael Jackson and Mike Tyson have a legit excuse. Michael Jackson was probably molested and was overworked as a child with no real childhood. Mike Tyson was punched in the face by heavyweights and probably has brain damage. People like Allen Iverson and Antoine Walker are just stupid to begin with. I wish it hadn't happened to them and don't want them walking the streets but 18 year olds are sent overseas to die. Why should anyone care about 18-21 year olds who end up broke when they had millions of dollars to better themselves? They weren't exactly broke at 18-21 either. Their rookie contracts were nowhere near the contracts they got at 25 or 30. So in other words, they were still stupid at the age of 30. They never evolved and that's on them.

There are people with crap backgrounds who grow up with nothing, will never have anything and nobody feels sorry for them. They didn't ask for that life. Why should anyone feel sorry for people who are naturally fast, can naturally jump high and made millions playing a game for a living? Heck, they were given a scholarship they probably didn't earn as a student and took for granted they were given a free education to fall back on. And I'm certain some do in fact rely on God given talent which means they didn't work nearly as hard as other athletes. And what did they do with that God given talent? They took advantage of it and pissed it away. Antoine Walker was always a chub, was said to be lazy and didn't really give a crap. Jamarcus Russel? He has plenty of money for codeine now.

I get it... not everyone has a good upbringing and I was fortunate to have good parents. That doesn't change the fact that when you win the lottery and play a game for a living, you shouldn't need someone to tell you how not to piss away a hundred million dollars. Again, if you blow 100 million in a life time, you deserve to be broke. Blowing it in a decade is just embarrassing.

I'll just leave it at this... I see middle class families struggling to get by and not lose their home at the age of 50 after having busted their ass for 30 years. It's hard to feel sympathy for people who were filthy rich and now lack money. There are more important things in the world than money and those people chose to piss it away. I don't feel that bad when Allen Iverson says he doesn't have money for a cheeseburger after having been able to afford 20 million burgers(dollar burgers) a year for a decade. That really is all on him.

:clapping:

VN Store

Back