NBA rigging Jazz/Lakers games?

unconventional
Again...

You'd have to be blind not to see the NBA rigged those Lakers games against the Kings and Blazers in the playoffs. You'd also have to be blind not to see the 2006 Heat and Mavs championship was rigged.

I'll start with L.A. and Portland. The Trail Blazers were leading the Lakers 73-58 early in the fourth quarter before being outscored 31-11 in the final 11 minutes. The lost 89-85. The Trail Blazers attempted 16 free throws while the Lakers took attempted 37 free throws. The Trail Blazers top defensive players Arydas Sabonis and Scottie Pippen both fouled out. Every call in the 4th quarter favored the Lakers.

L.A. and Sacramento. The Kings led the series 3-2 and were tied going into the 4th quarter of game 6. The Lakers would go on to attempt 27 free throws in the 4th quarter and win 106-102. That's right... 27 free throw attempts in a single quarter. Scott Pollard and Vlade Divac both fouled out on plays where they did not even touch the Lakers player. Chris Webber also had 5 fouls.

As for Miami championship, Dallas was up 2-0 in the series and they led Miami by 5 with 1:47 left in game 3. Miami would shoot 8 free throws in the final 2 minutes to win by 2 and thus completely turn the series around. Why would the Mavs put them to the line for 8 free throws up 5 with less than 2 minutes? They wouldn't. On to game 5 With the series tied 2-2. Miami would shoot 49 three free throws with Wade making 21 of 25. The entire Mavericks team shot 25 free throws while making 21. The Heat would win by just 1 despite having a chance to score half a hundred at the line. Miami would go on to wrap it up in game 6, winning by 3 while shooting 14 more free throws. Wade received more phantom calls then I've ever seen in that series... aside from the Lakers on a regular basis that is. The refs so blatantly took that championship away from Dallas and gave it to Miami it's not even funny. Miami legitimately won 1 game and the Mavs should have beaten them 4-1. Technically, 5-1.

Back to the Lakers and what's happening right now... When I saw the Lakers scrape by the Pacers and Grizzlies as both teams attempted less than 10 free throws, I started thinking back to the Blazers and Kings series. I found these stats going into the Spurs game last night...

Over the last 10 games LA has become #1 in free-throw advantage and Utah has become #29 after being #12 the whole year.

After 70 games have been played, why has the officiating changed so drastically when it comes to those two? Namely, Utah. The Lakers always get b.s. calls in their favor so that's nothing new. But Utah being the Lakers biggest threat for the 8th seed suddenly drops from 12th after 70 games to 29th over the last 10. The NBA isn't just rigging Lakers games anymore, they're rigging games of teams that could keep the Lakers out of the playoffs.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MhmGyZ7KF0[/youtube]

A couple nights ago the Lakers beat the Warriors 118-16. The Lakers shot 50 free throws to the Warriors 16... 50 free throws... most of which were phantom.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIhRES3uW4w[/youtube]

I apologize in advance for potentially pissing off fellow Vols fans that also happen to be Lakers fans. This stuff is just too hard to ignore at this point though. It has been for a while but just seeing the sudden change in the amount of free throws the Jazz attempt on top of the favoritism that Lakers already receive, I just wondered what others thought. The NBA is screwing Utah and their fans at the expense of getting the Lakers into the playoffs if you ask me. As an Indiana and Tennessee fan, I can relate to being a smaller market fan that's constantly shafted. It's crap like that this that makes me hate larger market teams. They bring in more viewers and money so they generally receive favoritism from the league and refs. Or in the case of superstar players, they can force their way out of smaller markets to larger markets and those large market teams trade peanuts to acquire them as the rich get richer. Or if we're talking baseball, the larger market teams can just outspend everyone.

So yeah... I just want to see what others thought.

I think there's a quote from Stern that says, "my dream NBA finals scenario would be LA vs LA." The series vs the kings and the 06 finals were sickening! In 06 there was a blatant uncalled backcourt violation allowing Dwayne Wade to score the winning basket.

Reactions: 1 person
Btw the winning basket was free throws as DWade just threw ball at the rim and got a foul call without being touched. He tied the record for FT attempts in a series in the 1st quarter of game 6. Lol

As much as I'd like to throw this out as conspiracy theory BS, there certainly are things that make you scratch your head

As much as I'd like to throw this out as conspiracy theory BS, there certainly are things that make you scratch your head

Remember the Tim Donoughy scandal? The only info he needed was which refs were calling the game.

There is no doubt the NBA is a power team driven league, more than any other sport. The Lakers get bigger tv ratings, which means more money.

I'm not saying it's happening, all I'm saying is that it wouldn't surprise me.

Also lets not forget the Hornets when they shocked the world and drew the number one pick in the Anthony Davis sweepstakes. They had a 13% chance of punching that ticket. Who owned the then Hornets at the time. The NBA. Did they punch that ticket? Why yes they did.

Also when Jim Rome called Stern out on that, Mr.Stern became uber defensive and countered by calling Rome "wife beater".

Also lets not forget the Hornets when they shocked the world and drew the number one pick in the Anthony Davis sweepstakes. They had a 13% chance of punching that ticket. Who owned the then Hornets at the time. The NBA. Did they punch that ticket? Why yes they did.
What was Chicago's odds to get the #1 pick when Rose came out?

How about a floundering Magic franchise in the early 90's get the #1 pick back to back with Shaq and Chris Webber in those drafts?

Not completely true, but you are in the right direction.

Tom Benson bought the team in March/April. The NBA couldn't find an owner for 18 months. Then the next month, they get "best draft prospect in the last five years".....funny how that works.

This might come across as odd, but I think the blazers did more to beat themselves against the lakers in that conference final than the refs or the lakers.

However, I firmly believe that the WCF between the lakers and kings was rigged. I won't go that far with the Mavs-Heat finals, but it was truly disgusting how they were calling fouls in favor of D Wade.

IIRC there was a study to come out at the MIT Sloan sports analytics conference a few years ago that found the NBA had a clear and consistent officiating bias towards superstars and to a lesser extent, big market teams.

Remember the Tim Donoughy scandal? The only info he needed was which refs were calling the game.

There is no doubt the NBA is a power team driven league, more than any other sport. The Lakers get bigger tv ratings, which means more money.

I'm not saying it's happening, all I'm saying is that it wouldn't surprise me.

As easy as it would be to dismiss something like this as crazy, I fully expected something like this to happen.

Not completely true, but you are in the right direction.

Tom Benson bought the team in March/April. The NBA couldn't find an owner for 18 months. Then the next month, they get "best draft prospect in the last five years".....funny how that works.

Wrong. But you're close

The New Orleans Hornets won the draft lottery and get to pick one of the most transcendent prospects in years, Kentucky's Anthony Davis. The NBA-owned New Orleans Hornets, with a 13.7 percent chance, won the lottery. For over a year, David Stern pushed hard to get maximum value for his owners on the re-sale of the Hornets, and Tom Benson gave Stern an asking price and an assurance the franchise wouldn't leave New Orleans.

"It's such a joke that the league made the new owners be at the lottery for the show," one high-ranking team executive told Yahoo! Sports. "The league still owns the Hornets. Ask their front office if new owners can make a trade right now. They can't. This is a joke."

Y! SPORTS

This might come across as odd, but I think the blazers did more to beat themselves against the lakers in that conference final than the refs or the lakers.

However, I firmly believe that the WCF between the lakers and kings was rigged. I won't go that far with the Mavs-Heat finals, but it was truly disgusting how they were calling fouls in favor of D Wade.

IIRC there was a study to come out at the MIT Sloan sports analytics conference a few years ago that found the NBA had a clear and consistent officiating bias towards superstars and to a lesser extent, big market teams.

Not to mention racial bias in their calls. I can't remember exactly what they found...IIRC it was that black refs call more fouls on whites, and vice versa.

Not to mention racial bias in their calls. I can't remember exactly what they found...IIRC it was that black refs call more fouls on whites, and vice versa.
I don't always think it's intentional, it's just the nature of basketball officiating for there to be a lot of gray area. All the other major sports have only a couple situations that require judgment calls, PI in football, strike zone in baseball (which is fairly easy to determine if it's being called evenly).

I still think the Kings-Lakers WCF was rigged, though.

I don't always think it's intentional, it's just the nature of basketball officiating for there to be a lot of gray area. All the other major sports have only a couple situations that require judgment calls, PI in football, strike zone in baseball (which is fairly easy to determine if it's being called evenly).

I still think the Kings-Lakers WCF was rigged, though.

I don't think it's intentional at all. I think it's subconscious.

It can't be all subconscious, because we know for a fact there was at least one case of deliberate rigging (Donaghy).

The Jazz do foul an absurd amount. But yes, the NBA is rigged. And Adam Silver was groomed such that none of the Stern era secrets will see the light of day.

VN Store

Back