Griner to the NBA?

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
Mark Cuban would draft her

"If she is the best on the board, I will take her," Cuban said before the Mavs' Tuesday night game against the Los Angeles Lakers. "I've thought about it. I've thought about it already. Would I do it? Right now, I'd lean toward yes, just to see if she can do it. You never know unless you give somebody a chance, and it's not like the likelihood of any late-50s draft pick has a good chance of making it."

Mark Cuban would give Brittney Griner opportunity with Dallas Mavericks - ESPN Dallas

It would sell tickets for a month, but she would get eaten alive. If he wastes a pick on her, Dirk should demand an immediate trade.

It'd be nothing but a blatant publicity stunt, like when the Lightning threw Manon Rheaume in goal for a few preseason games.

Has he ever watched women's basketball? I watched for the first time in a while last night. I had to turn it off before my eyeballs started bleeding

Griner would get her ass handed to her against good high school competition.

Ehh...not sure about that. The high school team would probably need D-I talent. These girl teams practice mostly against college guys who played in high school (maybe not good), and they handle them easily.

edit: And I agree with Cuban on the second round picks. Some of the 2nd round guys Silver doesn't know how to pronounce their names because they've only been playing for a year in Africa.

Let's take a look at even a role-playing post player in the NBA in Chris Andersen (career 5.4 ppg and 5.1 rpg).

The Birdman

He's 6'10" and 228 lbs. Griner is 6'8" and around 200 I believe. Now, given that size differential, let's take a look at explosiveness/athleticism:

Andersen dunk:
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTcHEiRiVHA[/YOUTUBE]

Griner dunk:
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV-8evBHbM0[/YOUTUBE]

There's almost no comparison. Cuban probably knows this and doesn't think she would succeed in the NBA but his point about it being marketable is a sound one.

Let's take a look at even a role-playing post player in the NBA in Chris Andersen (career 5.4 ppg and 5.1 rpg).

The Birdman

He's 6'10" and 228 lbs. Griner is 6'8" and around 200 I believe. Now, given that size differential, let's take a look at explosiveness/athleticism:

Andersen dunk:
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTcHEiRiVHA[/YOUTUBE]

Griner dunk:
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV-8evBHbM0[/YOUTUBE]

There's almost no comparison. Cuban probably knows this and doesn't think she would succeed in the NBA but his point about it being marketable is a sound one.

Sound post.

And btw, despite my agreement with Cuban on 2nd round picks, and thinking Griner could handle most high school men's teams, I definitely don't believe she would have any shot in the NBA. None. It would be embarrassing.

And I believe Cuban knows this as well, but there is still some possible reward to giving her a shot, and little risk concerning the value of that pick.

Mark Cuban doesn't care about winning anymore. He's back to just begging for publicity.

Ehh...not sure about that. The high school team would probably need D-I talent. These girl teams practice mostly against college guys who played in high school (maybe not good), and they handle them easily.

edit: And I agree with Cuban on the second round picks. Some of the 2nd round guys Silver doesn't know how to pronounce their names because they've only been playing for a year in Africa.

I'm absolutely certain of it.

And btw, despite my agreement with Cuban on 2nd round picks, and thinking Griner could handle most high school men's teams, I definitely don't believe she would have any shot in the NBA. None. It would be embarrassing.

And I believe Cuban knows this as well, but there is still some possible reward to giving her a shot, and little risk concerning the value of that pick.

You said "most", so you agree that Griner would be no competition against good HS teams.

You said "most", so you agree that Griner would be no competition against good HS teams.

I haven't played organized hoops in like 8 years, and I bet I'd be the toughest defender Griner faced all year. Women might have the skills, just not the strength to hang with men.

I haven't played organized hoops in like 8 years, and I bet I'd be the toughest defender Griner faced all year. Women might have the skills, just not the strength to hang with men.

First Rousey now Griner why are you always wanting to fight women? :)

I think the main thing is she would not have a position to play. At 6'8" she would not be able to play center anymore, and I don't think she has the capability of playing SF or G.

Griner guarding Blake Griffin tonight :lol:

Griner guarding Kevin Love tonight :lol:

Griner guarding Carlos Boozer tonight :lol:

Pipe dream...

VN Store

Back