8) Kobe
7) Bird
6) Magic
5) LeBron
4) The Big "O"
3) Mike
2) Wilt
1) Russell

LeBron is not finished and could easily move up to #4. One, Two and Three are set in stone in my opinion.

This list is invalid because it doesn't have Kareem Abdul-Jabbar on it.

Reactions: 4 people
I'll just do modern era...the NBA was so different when Wilt and O dominated. No particular order:

Magic
MJ
Bird
Barkley
Rodman
Stockton
Kareem
Lebron
D Robinson
Moses Malone

Honorable mention: Garnett, K Malone, T Duncan, CP3, J Kidd, Oljuawan, Shaq

I'll just do modern era...the NBA was so different when Wilt and O dominated. No particular order:

Magic
MJ
Bird
Barkley
Rodman
Stockton
Kareem
Lebron
D Robinson
Moses Malone

Put Duncan and Olajuwon in over the bold and you are good to go.

As much as I loved Kareem, somehow I took Shaq over him. Magic never won a title without Kareem. Says alot.

Shaq should have been what Kareem was in the 70's. He wasn't.

Kareem averaged a 26.5 ppg/12.1 rpg/4 apg/3 bpg and shot 56.2% from the field and 72% from the free throw line.

For SIXTEEN YEARS.

Magic
MJ
Bird
Barkley
Rodman
Stockton
Kareem
Lebron
D Robinson
Moses Malone

Hakeem is another one I wrestled with. Somehow, in my mind, Shaq was more dominant. But Hakeem & Kareem were more skilled than Shaq.

At least I got this off of my mind and onto the board. I like to hear the opinions of other folks.
The next thing I want to do is go position by position and rank the best 5 @ each spot.

Put Duncan and Olajuwon in over the bold and you are good to go.

No thanks...I'll take 18+ rebounds per 36 minutes.

I didn't realize this, but Robinson and Olajuwan are basically identical in every stat for career average, except Robinson had significantly fewer turnovers, and significantly better shooting efficiency.

No thanks...I'll take 18+ rebounds per 36 minutes.

I didn't realize this, but Robinson and Olajuwan are basically identical in every stat for career average, except Robinson had significantly fewer turnovers, and significantly better shooting efficiency.

I'll take the best defensive center of all-time and someone who averaged 24.5 ppg in his prime on 51.5% shooting while playing with only one other hall of famer, while nobody has more luck in teams than Rodman.

In their prime, Hakeem was the better defender, the better rebounder, and not only that, there's this:

Playoffs: 27.3 ppg while shooting 53.5% in his playoff prime, and averaging 11.6 rpg, and 5.1 stocks

Robinson's playoff prime? Less assists, about the same turnovers, same rebounders, and shot 6% less than Hakeem in the playoffs.

Where would you put Kobe? And do you mean swap Cap with Kobe, or put Cap higher on my list than Kobe was?

Take Kobe off, and put Cap in your top five.

Kobe isn't a top 20 player, let alone top 10 IMO.

Wow! Jaw dropping statement.
He's been a decent player who's had the luxury of riding some of the best 5 talent to ever play the game to his rings. He was never the centerpiece of any of his championship teams.

And the whole "clutch" thing is entirely an ESPN-generated fiction. There's no basis in reality for it.

That said, I still have Kobe around top 25-30 all time.

Almost impossible to derive a list of the top 10 NBA players of all time because positions played are so different.

It should be split into top 10 front court players and top 10 backcourt players.

Just my opinion.

Almost impossible to derive a list of the top 10 NBA players of all time because positions played are so different.

It should be split into top 10 front court players and top 10 backcourt players.

Just my opinion.

I like this idea.

Dayum. He did have two title teams built around him. Been scoring champ. All defensive first team. All star MVP. Finals MVP.

So, do you guys have Kobe in the top 40? 50?

He's been a decent player who's had the luxury of riding some of the best 5 talent to ever play the game to his rings. He was never the centerpiece of any of his championship teams.

And the whole "clutch" thing is entirely an ESPN-generated fiction. There's no basis in reality for it.

That said, I still have Kobe around top 25-30 all time.

Decent is underselling a tad, because he was a premier defensive player at one point.

For his career, Kobe's a 45.5% percent shooter (for example, Rudy Gay shoots around the same percentage), has a bad ast/to ratio, and is an insufferable teammate and ballhog.

VN Store

Back