Advanced Metrics Nonsense

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
Just giving myself a thread to post stuff that I find interesting, even if none of you find it interesting.

Year-by-year, the top producers by position:

all-nba-v2.png

That 1990 line has some big names:
PG - Magic Johnson
SG - Michael Jordon
SF - Dennis Rodman
PF - Charles Barkley
C - David Robinson

The one glaring guy that is missing is Shaq. He was top 5 (probably top 3) at his position for 15 years, but never #1. Kinda crazy.

Also, keep in mind this is per minute. Shawn Bradley could only play 24 minutes per game, so he wasn't "MVP" of centers, per se.

And AK47 was the man. Dude could get you a 5x5 (though rarely). I remember some analyst saying he had been the only guy to do it in like a decade, and he had done it like 3 or 4 times.

Would you have taken those guys over shaq?

At their primes, probably Jabar and possibly Dream.

Shaq is the only all-time great NBA player I can think of that got his status not through being a great player, but just by being a mammoth human being.

I meant the guys winning it during shaq's prime. But those would be the two possibles for me, as well.

Then I'll stick with my answer, as much of Kareem's offensive game wasn't in the same spot of the floor as the Shaqtus. I think Hakeem was the better basketball player but Shaq would win the post on both ends just because of his size.

Yeah. Also, as for the guys winning it during the three-peat and such, yeah no way. I easily take Shaq. I think the per-minute thing is to explain here.

I am incredibly enthused by advanced stats. But I have learned that they are not law. At all.

This is total, rather than per minute. No Foster, Childress, or Bradley. Shaq is on there 3 times. All is right with the world.

all-nba-v11.png

VN Store

Back