Anyone here into collecting vinyl LP's?

Brave Volunteer

I just got into the hobby myelf and I have to say it can be quite addicting. I thought I'd start a thread for fellow vinyl enthusiasts to share knowledge, vinyl discoveries, etc.

My gear:

Pro Ject Debut Carbon DC turntable with Ortofon Red 2M cartridge/stylus.

Vincent Pho-8 Phono Pre-Amp

Sony SDRTH-520 Receiver

Polk Audio 8" sattelite speaker 150 watt.

Recent vinyl purchases:

81IHYe3j4aL._SL1500_.jpg

91o8HUM930L._SL1500_.jpg

81b%2BCCbzT6L._SL1500_.jpg

51QOogEltJL.jpg

51qmLCUOr5L.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool. It's just the wife and I in a 2 bedroom with an office and only one communal area. When I am more established and have a setup with 2 living rooms, I want to get a cool vintage player and start collecting.

I collect punk rock records for listening. Punk rock is best on vinyl.

I collect first pressings that aren't for playing.

I still have all of my old KISS records on LP, but nothing to play them on.

I'm telling you, once you get back into listening to records you'll be hooked. They sound fantastic and there's just something magical about pulling a record out of a jacket and putting on the turn table. It's a different sound. Records feel "warmer" and more "alive" than CD's or mp3's do.

it has been a long time since I have listened to some vinyl music,my friend has a closet full of some classic rock and roll

I need to drag my computer over there and load some great music

My current collection:

Bob Dylan
The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
Another Side of Bob Dylan
Bringing It All Back Home
Highway 61 Revisited
Woodstock: Music from the Original Soundtrack and More
Mad Dogs & Englishmen
Long After Dark
Historic Performances Recorded at the Monterey International Pop Festival
Crown of Creation
Alice's Restaurant
2001: A Space Odyssey
Music From John Williams' Close Encounters Of The Third Kind / Star Wars
Welcome to My World (Elvis Presley)
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Bridge Over Troubled Water
London Town
McCartney II
Revolver

My current collection:

Bob Dylan
The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
Another Side of Bob Dylan
Bringing It All Back Home
Highway 61 Revisited
Woodstock: Music from the Original Soundtrack and More
Mad Dogs & Englishmen
Long After Dark
Historic Performances Recorded at the Monterey International Pop Festival
Crown of Creation
Alice's Restaurant
2001: A Space Odyssey
Music From John Williams' Close Encounters Of The Third Kind / Star WarsWelcome to My World (Elvis Presley)
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Bridge Over Troubled Water
London Town
McCartney II
Revolver

A friend and fellow vinyl collector of mine just recently picked up the Jaws soundtrack. It sounds great!

Anyone else, besides me, ever see an album that is translucent red with a picture in the vinyl? I believe Heart had one in the 70s, along with a few other bands. Iirc, they are called picture disc. I haven't seen one since.

Reactions: 1 person
Anyone else, besides me, ever see an album that is translucent red with a picture in the vinyl? I believe Heart had one in the 70s, along with a few other bands. Iirc, they are called picture disc. I haven't seen one since.

They were considerably rarer back then, but many bands do it today in limited pressings.

I'm telling you, once you get back into listening to records you'll be hooked. They sound fantastic and there's just something magical about pulling a record out of a jacket and putting on the turn table. It's a different sound. Records feel "warmer" and more "alive" than CD's or mp3's do.

Oh I know. I hated seeing the music go digital. Honestly I don't even know what kind of shape my records are in. They've been stored in a box in the bottom of my closet for nearly 20 years.

I haven't seen that but my Rush 2112 reissue does this! :rock:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpsYDfGQOIQ[/youtube]

A friend and fellow vinyl collector of mine just recently picked up the Jaws soundtrack. It sounds great!

The first album I ever bought (or picked out or my mom to buy for me) was the Ghostbusters soundtrack on vinyl. Wish I still had it.

Seems like my mom had a Jackson 5 album that was one big picture back in the day.

I started my collection in the 60's through the 80's. I have tons of vinyl albums. The last one I bought was either Wang Chung or Men at Work. They now sit along w/others in cob webs at the bottom of my entertainment center.

I started my collection in the 60's through the 80's. I have tons of vinyl albums. The last one I bought was either Wang Chung or Men at Work. They now sit along w/others in cob webs at the bottom of my entertainment center.

Ebay would help you unload most of those.

Just curious, why don't you listen to them anymore? Do you not have a working turn table? It's a shame for a collection like that to sit unused.

I've got a collection of about 3000 albums and 45s from the 40s trrough th 90s. Rock, country, pop, easy listening, classical, etc. I don't listen anymore, and my wife wants them out of the basement. Contact me via PM if interested.

I've got a collection of about 3000 albums and 45s from the 40s trrough th 90s. Rock, country, pop, easy listening, classical, etc. I don't listen anymore, and my wife wants them out of the basement. Contact me via PM if interested.

if they're in NM (near mint) or VG (very good) condition I might be interested.

if they're in NM (near mint) or VG (very good) condition I might be interested.

I'd say 90% of them are VG or better. I kept some rarer ones in poorer condition simply because of their scarcity. Haven't really messed with them in a few years, but I used to sell on eBay and had great buyer reviews.

I'd say 90% of them are VG or better. I kept some rarer ones in poorer condition simply because of their scarcity. Haven't really messed with them in a few years, but I used to sell on eBay and had great buyer reviews.

I'd be particularly interested in any of the following...

James Taylor
Boston
Rush
John Denver
Pink Floyd
Cream
The Rolling Stones
Journey
KISS
Iron Maiden
Michael Jackson
Blue Oyster Cult