Michael Peña
Donald Glover
Chiwetel Ejiofor
Naomi Scott
Aksel Hennie
Mackenzie Davis
Lili Bordán
Nick Mohammed

During a manned mission to Mars, astronaut Mark Watney is presumed dead after being caught in a fierce storm, and is left behind when the rest of the crew evacuate the planet and begin to head back to Earth. Watney finds himself stranded and alone, with only meagre supplies and his ingenuity, wit and spirit to subsist and find a way to signal home, despite knowing that even if his survival is made known there is no realistic prospect for a rescue.

Based on the Best Selling Novel by Andy Weir

The Martian | Official Trailer
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue4PCI0NamI[/youtube]

Last edited:
Very good book. It's very well written and makes you wonder why in the heck haven't we sent men to Mars.

Cause the little green men will kill them, duh!

Well dang just a week after starting this thread they go and move the release date!

Release Date is now October 2nd!

Looks great...kind of a Castaway thing.

Thrill ride of a book! Cannot wait to see it in theater. I wonder why they moved it up? I can't remember a movie ever being moved up

Anyone seen this yet? I saw where some theaters got it a week early?

Last edited:
It's all about the audiobook. The book was written like a movie script, so despite being a really quick read, it actually turns out to be the perfect size for an audiobook. The book is ripe with oversight errors (it was published as an E-book 1st, afterall) so that's another reason to go for the audiobook.

Maybe it will be better in movie form but I was seriously let down by the book. It was a great concept, but poorly written imo.

Once or twice would have been ok, but all he does is McGuyver every system he has. It's just a series of "Yay I fixed it!" It's becomes almost laughably stupid after a while.

After about 30% of the way through the book the only interesting part was them trying to figure out how to rescue him.

Last edited:
Just got back from seeing it. Rotten tomatoes has it at a 92%. That is a very accurate rating.

Excellent film. Matt Damon's performance is superb.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
If it's not successful it won't be for lack of promotion...three months of trailers.

Maybe it will be better in movie form but I was seriously let down by the book. It was a great concept, but poorly written imo.

Once or twice would have been ok, but all he does is McGuyver every system he has. It's just a series of "Yay I fixed it!" It's becomes almost laughably stupid after a while.

After about 30% of the way through the book the only interesting part was them trying to figure out how to rescue him.

Please consider the context though... This was his first book, originally released as an e-book... There are clear oversight errors, grammar mistakes, plot errors etc. which show that it came from an amateur writer, rather than a seasoned one... But the thing that makes it so great, IMO, is that it wastes no time trying to sell unnecessary details. This could have easily been a 300 pg book, thank god it was not. It's written completely like a movie script. Im not sure if that was intentional or not. To me it was a fun little read... however the audiobook experience put it over the top for me...it let me ignore the stupid mistakes in the book and just enjoy to the story.

Dude, the book was awesome.

Reactions: 1 person
Not to me. It just felt to silly after a while. Almost every bit of Watney's story is "I'm going to die in "x" days. Wait! I'll just reconfigure this system to do something different. Yay I saved myself!"

Then it happens again every chapter.

Like I said, once or twice wouldn't have bothered me, but it got stupid after 3rd or 4th time. Had I known that's what the bulk of the book was I would have passed.

6/10. I feel that it just could have been better.

For the record I prefer Apollo 13, though of course they're different types of movies.

The Martian - 5/5

Wow!! I did not expect that, one of the best films (outside a comic based movie) that I have seen in a long time.

I highly recommend you want be disappointed!

VN Store

Back