Will a football expert explain this line from Remember the Titans?

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
I have asked several people over the years, a good deal of them ex-football players, and no one knows what Gary Bertier is talking about in this scene. It's the first time he gets in an argument with Julius before they eventually become friends.

Gary says to Julius: "You don't listen to anybody man, not even Coach Boone. Shiver push on the line every time, you blow right through 'em. Push 'em, pull 'em, do something. You can't run over everybody in this league, and every time you do you leave one of your teammates out to dry, me in particular!"

They are both linebackers. Shiver push? Why wouldn't a defensive player want to "blow right past the offense"? At what point on defense is it better to push or pull someone that to go right past the offense and get to the QB? How can a linebacker leave another linebacker out to dry by running over every one?

I consider myself pretty knowledgable about football, but this has driven me crazy for years.

Shiver push or a forearm shiver is a blocking technique. It's basically thrusting your forearm into the opposing player as you push forward. It's forcing a distance between the blocker and your body so you can push right past him and keep going. If I'm not mistaken it's a combination of jamming your forearm into the blocker while thrusting it upward at the same time in a fluid movement.

Suh does one and unfortunately it's to McCown's face and flagrant.

suhh.0.gif

As for it leaving the other linebacker "out to dry" I'm not sure.

If a defensive linemen gets too far upfield he takes himself out of the play. It's best to hold down the offensive lineman against the run. If you just run upfield, you'll look like a superstar to the fans because you'll make a couple of plays. But the offensive lineman in front of you will destroy the lb and you will create running lanes inside of yourself.

This is the entire reason people run trap, power, and counter. To kick out overly aggressive defensive linemen.

Reactions: 1 person
If a defensive linemen gets too far upfield he takes himself out of the play. It's best to hold down the offensive lineman against the run. If you just run upfield, you'll look like a superstar to the fans because you'll make a couple of plays. But the offensive lineman in front of you will destroy the lb and you will create running lanes inside of yourself.

This is the entire reason people run trap, power, and counter. To kick out overly aggressive defensive linemen.

Exactly. Defense is much more complicated than just finding the ball and tackling. A defender must often play his area so the ball can be forced back to his teammates

For some reason I thought one of them was a defensive end and the other a linebacker. Lots of time defensive linemen's goal is just to take up 1 or two blockers so the linebacker can make a play.

If they're both linebackers that doesn't really apply other than what everyone else has mentioned about "staying home" and playing your assignment. If one linebacker runs upfield too far then it possibly leaves a wide open cutback lane for the running back. If that first linebackers plays contain then it forces the running back into the 2nd linebacker/rest of defense.

Last edited:
I have asked several people over the years, a good deal of them ex-football players, and no one knows what Gary Bertier is talking about in this scene. It's the first time he gets in an argument with Julius before they eventually become friends.

Gary says to Julius: "You don't listen to anybody man, not even Coach Boone. Shiver push on the line every time, you blow right through 'em. Push 'em, pull 'em, do something. You can't run over everybody in this league, and every time you do you leave one of your teammates out to dry, me in particular!"

They are both linebackers. Shiver push? Why wouldn't a defensive player want to "blow right past the offense"? At what point on defense is it better to push or pull someone that to go right past the offense and get to the QB? How can a linebacker leave another linebacker out to dry by running over every one?

I consider myself pretty knowledgable about football, but this has driven me crazy for years.

All I know is that if Gary would have known he was addressing Avon Barksdale, he'd have chosen his words more carefully. If you come at the king, you best not miss.

Reactions: 1 person
While we're on the topic of misunderstood sports movie quotes, it took me years to understand what the guy was saying in Hoosiers:

Look, mister, there's... two kinds of dumb, uh... guy that gets naked and runs out in the snow and barks at the moon, and, uh, guy who does the same thing in my living room. First one don't matter, the second one you're kinda forced to deal with.

One is Sam
The other Will

Always thought that they were DEs, but same strategy if they are DEs or OLBs

VN Store

Back