X-Files May Be Back

I just wish they would release the series on Blu-ray!!

I recently picked up the entire series on DVD plus the lone Gunman series and the films on Blu-ray!

As long as the original creator (Chris Carter) remains involved, I'd give it a go.

‘The X-Files’ Returns As Fox Event Series With Creator Chris Carter And Stars David Duchovny & Gillian Anderson

‘The X-Files’ Returns As Fox Event Series With Creator Chris Carter And Stars David Duchovny & Gillian Anderson

Mulder and Scully are back! Thirteen years after The X-Files ended its nine-season run on Fox and months after talks about a new TV installment started, the sci-fi hit is returning as a six-episode event series from series creator/executive producer Chris Carter, with stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson set to reprise their roles as FBI Agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully.

Production on the event series, whose plot is not being revealed, is set to begin this summer. It is unclear if any of the famous X-Files alumni, including former exec producers Frank Spotnitz, Howard Gordon and Vince Gilligan, would be involved. 20th Century Fox TV and Carter’s Ten Thirteen Prods, which produced the original series, are back for the event series.

“I think of it as a 13-year commercial break,” said Carter. “The good news is the world has only gotten that much stranger, a perfect time to tell these six stories.”

Technically speaking, it’s been less than 13 years since Mulder and Scully last tackled unexplained phenomena — the TV series spawned two X-Files theatrical movies, the second of which, The X-Files: I Want To Believe, came out in 2008.

The X-Files follows FBI special agents Scully (Anderson) and Mulder (Duchovny) as they investigate unexplained cases – “X-Files” – for which the only answers involve paranormal phenomena. The show was a breakout when it premiered in 1993 and went on to become a pop culture phenom and a global hit. The X-Files, one of the longest sci-fi series ever on TV, also became a rare genre awards darling, winning 16 Emmys during its run.

“We had the privilege of working with Chris on all nine seasons of The X-Files – one of the most rewarding creative experiences of our careers,” said Fox TV Group chairmen Dana Walden and Gary Newman. “The X-Files was not only a seminal show for both the studio and the network, it was a worldwide phenomenon that shaped pop culture – yet remained a true gem for the legions of fans who embraced it from the beginning.”

The X-Files event series had been in the works for almost a year, with talks between 20th TV, Fox and Carter starting around the time the studio and the network successfully brought back another signature drama, 24, as an event series.

In January, Newman said he was “hopeful” about the outcome from the talks, which had focused on logistical issues, looking at windows when the key X-Files players — Carter, Duchovny and Anderson — were all available.

Separately, there has been a fan campaign to extend the X Files movie franchise with a third feature.

The X-Files is the latest cult TV series to be resurrected as an event/limited series, joining 24, Twin Peaks on Showtime, Heroes on NBC and Arrested Development on Netflix.

VN Store

Back