Doobie Brothers
The Beach Boys
Procol Harum
Grand Funk Railroad
Fleetwood Mac
The Commodores
Santana
Steppenwolf

Can we count "The Band"? They were North American. ;)

If so, they're #1.

If not,

1. Allman Bros.
2. CCR

Can we count "The Band"? They were North American. ;)

If so, they're #1.

If not,

1. Allman Bros.
2. CCR

Dude! I didn't know other people liked the Band as much as I do. CCR, FTW as well, but they are pretty popular. I saw the Band when I was 11 in 1993, LOL.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq2e7DPhyHg[/youtube]

The Allman Brothers Band
The Byrds
Buffalo Springfield
Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention
Steppenwolf
The Band
Santana
Sly and the Family Stone
The Beach Boys
The Lovin’ Spoonful

Genre shaping bands, but sometimes their impact would only be realized in the bands that they influenced:

Big Star
REM
Television
Nirvana
The Replacements
Mission of Burma
Sonic Youth
Jason and the Scorchers
The Ramones
Beach Boys for the Pet Sounds album alone.

There are tons of amazing American bands, but they are usually on a smaller scale than the Stones and Zeps of the world.

I know she wasn't around long and didn't produce a lot of material... but I've spent the day listening to Janice Joplin driving back from Charlotte and am just speechless every time I listen to Piece of my Heart or Me and Bobby McGee or her rendition of Ball and Chain... I love it.

Edit: Also Nirvana, CCR, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Roy Orbison and Tina Turner.
Edit 2: I can't believe I left out the Beach Boys.

Guess some of that crosses genres but oh well.

Last edited:
1. Whiskeytown
2. Tool
3. Rage aginst the machine
4. Drive by Truckers
5. The Deftones

Solo artist:

1. Townes Van Zandt
2. Bob Dylan
3. Robert Earl Keen
4. Conor Oberst
5. Chris Knight

Not American, but The Clash always deserves a mention when great bands are the topic.

I know she wasn't around long and didn't produce a lot of material... but I've spent the day listening to Janice Joplin driving back from Charlotte and am just speechless every time I listen to Piece of my Heart or Me and Bobby McGee or her rendition of Ball and Chain... I love it.

Edit: Also Nirvana, CCR, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Roy Orbison and Tina Turner.
Edit 2: I can't believe I left out the Beach Boys.

Guess some of that crosses genres but oh well.

Janis Joplin performed at Stokely Athletic Center in 1969. It was a fantastic concert.

Dude! I didn't know other people liked the Band as much as I do. CCR, FTW as well, but they are pretty popular. I saw the Band when I was 11 in 1993, LOL.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq2e7DPhyHg[/youtube]

Didn't know other people liked the Band? Have you never seen The Last Waltz? Easily the best music documentary ever, with a long list of crazy guest appearances. Personal favorite part is the Neil Young guest spot while a huge coke blob is hanging from his nose.

Didn't know other people liked the Band? Have you never seen The Last Waltz? Easily the best music documentary ever, with a long list of crazy guest appearances. Personal favorite part is the Neil Young guest spot while a huge coke blob is hanging from his nose.

Was he acting coked out?

VN Store

Back