Miscasts Turned Great

BadJerry20

Internet Super Hero
The miscasts thread got me thinking. What casting for roles did most people gripe about originally but turned out perfect.

Heath Ledger-The Joker
When he was first cast fanboys, myself included, lost their minds. How could the pretty boy from brokeback ever possibly pull off the most maniacal villain in history? By simply turning in the greatest comic book villain performance in history. We all said "he can't be The Joker" Now we say, "nobody can ever be The Joker again."

Micheal Keaton-Batman
Too short, too skinny, he's horrible for the role, became the best Batman ever.

Jack Nicholson as the Joker. That's right, let's travel back in time to that Batman movie. When I heard he was playing the Joker, I thought, "no effing way". Totally different take than the one Heath Ledger would use years later, but brilliant nonetheless. He played the Joker right up to the proper point of crazy. Every other villain in that franchise went over the top.

Robert DeNiro in any comedy role. I love DeNiro as an actor, but when I heard he was going to be taking on comedic roles, I cringed. He proved me completely wrong, especially in "Meet the Parents". Guy has serious acting chops.

Elizabeth Berkley in Showgirls. At first, I thought how can my cute little Jessie Spano play a stripper?

She knocked it out of the park....

Edward Norton-American History X

When I heard he was playing a badazz skin head, i thought he definitely has the acting chopd but he's way to damn small to be a badazz. Then he curb stomped a guy.

Reactions: 2 people
The miscasts thread got me thinking. What casting for roles did most people gripe about originally but turned out perfect.

Heath Ledger-The Joker
When he was first cast fanboys, myself included, lost their minds. How could the pretty boy from brokeback ever possibly pull off the most maniacal villain in history? By simply turning in the greatest comic book villain performance in history. We all said "he can't be The Joker" Now we say, "nobody can ever be The Joker again."

Micheal Keaton-Batman
Too short, too skinny, he's horrible for the role, became the best Batman ever.

Eh, I still prefer Bale, even with the dumb voice. Keaton didn't get into good enough shape to convince me he was Batman.

Bale sucks

How Bryan Cranston as Walter White isn't here I'm not sure. I grew up with him as Hal in Malcolm and when I heard he would be a drug dealer, and even in the first episode or two I was thinking "Nope I just can't see it" and now he can be argued as one of the greatest dramatic leads in a series of all time, along with being a generation's crazy goofball dad.

Reactions: 1 person
Ann Hathaway as cat women. Saw it when it first came out and thought this is gonna suck. .I was wrong loved her in it... was my favorite Catwoman too. Everyone was good except bale....worst Bruce Wayne ever.

Natalie Portman in V For Vendetta. When I first heard she was a cast to play Evey I was a bit disappointed. I didn't think she fit the character at all, since Evey in the graphic novel is a bit of a ditz. However, after seeing how the character was portrayed in the film I actually thought she did a really good job, although her British accent left a lot to be desired.

Reactions: 1 person
Daniel Craig as James Bond. Didn't like the idea, but I now think he's #2 after Connery.

I can't put him past Roger Moore. The first James Bond I ever saw was in Moonraker, and it's still probably the best James Bond film IMO. To me Bond will always be a 1A and 1B of Connery/Moore.

The studio wanted Bill Murray as Forrest Gump. He turned it down after reading the script so they cast Tom Hanks.

Will Smith turned down the lead in The Matrix to do Wild Wild West.

Tom Selleck was set to play Indiana Jones but couldn't at the last minute due to a scheduling conflict.

Tom Cruise was supposed to play Benjamin Button but Hurricane Katrina hit stalling filming. After re-writes and pushed back filming dates Brad Pitt was cast.

Christian Bale was supposed to play George Bush in W. After getting his accent down and going through make-up tests and wardrobe fittings there was an altercation between him and Oliver Stone. Josh Brolin was cast.

Leonardo DiCaprio was supposed to play the lead in American Psycho but his agent felt it would hurt his image.

Honestly, I think Nicholson's joker is terribly overrated. Never understood what the big deal was.

VN Store

Back