Tyrant on FX

jamesd1628

Anyone watching this? I watched the pilot and it was pretty damn good, especially considering it's on FX. Awfully graphic for that network. Very well done pilot, I thought. I'm going to give this one a shot.

I checked it out. I liked it ok. Storyline is predictable. Acting is good. The native actress is smoking hot, that's a plus.

I watched the pilot. It was okay overall but thought the American wife character was completely unbelievable

I watched the pilot. It was okay overall but thought the American wife character was completely unbelievable

Well that's true. "Why don't you just talk to your dad, I'm sure he will completely respond and open up!" Cracker Jack.

Was anyone else surprised at how graphic some of the scenes were?

Well that's true. "Why don't you just talk to your dad, I'm sure he will completely respond and open up!" Cracker Jack.

Was anyone else surprised at how graphic some of the scenes were?

Yep and she also had zero concern for her or her family's safety in going into a country with that history. When her husband gave indications they should be careful she acted like they were going to DisneyWorld or something.

As for graphic - the virginity test was pretty harsh

Yep and she also had zero concern for her or her family's safety in going into a country with that history. When her husband gave indications they should be careful she acted like they were going to DisneyWorld or something.

As for graphic - the virginity test was pretty harsh

I was surprised by the birds-eye view of the scene between the crazy brother and his "mistress". Would expect scenes like those on HBO/Showtime/etc., but not really FX.

I was surprised by the birds-eye view of the scene between the crazy brother and his "mistress". Would expect scenes like those on HBO/Showtime/etc., but not really FX.

Don't mean this question derisively at all but, do you watch many shows on FX? They do scenes like that in a lot of their programs. The Americans has had scenes on par with those in Tyrant, as have shows like Rescue Me and The Shield.

Don't mean this question derisively at all but, do you watch many shows on FX? They do scenes like that in a lot of their programs. The Americans has had scenes on par with those in Tyrant, as have shows like Rescue Me and The Shield.

I suppose I don't. I probaby just have the wrong idea about that station. I always thought of them as closer to network TV (ABC, NBC, etc.) than to the cable chanels (HBO, Showtime, etc.). Obviously, my impressions were askew.

Edit: Out of curiosity, I'm guessing they don't do nudity (or do they?). What types of restrictions to they have on language (f-bombs, etc.)?

Last edited:
I suppose I don't. I probaby just have the wrong idea about that station. I always thought of them as closer to network TV (ABC, NBC, etc.) than to the cable chanels (HBO, Showtime, etc.). Obviously, my impressions were askew.

Edit: Out of curiosity, I'm guessing they don't do nudity (or do they?). What types of restrictions to they have on language (f-bombs, etc.)?

FX, along with AMC, are the two cable channels that push the boundaries of what is considered to be acceptable and resemble a more premium channel like attitude to their programming. There are some limits to what they can and cannot do but, for the most part, they are restricted only in so far as they don't want to do anything that they think might hurt them from a sponsor standpoint. I know that there aren't any language restrictions (Breaking Bad dropped the F bomb on a few occasions) and lots of shows have included some forms of nudity (mostly someones nude ass).

FX, along with AMC, are the two cable channels that push the boundaries of what is considered to be acceptable and resemble a more premium channel like attitude to their programming. There are some limits to what they can and cannot do but, for the most part, they are restricted only in so far as they don't want to do anything that they think might hurt them from a sponsor standpoint. I know that there aren't any language restrictions (Breaking Bad dropped the F bomb on a few occasions) and lots of shows have included some forms of nudity (mostly someones nude ass).
I would go ahead and throw WGN (WGN America as its called now) in there as well now with Salem and some of the other stuff they are developing like Manhattan coming later this month!

The new head of WGN used to be at FX and helped develop shows like "Nip/Tuck", "Rescue Me" and "Sons of Anarchy".

Tribune now wants WGNA to become a destination for viewers interested in distinctive drama, as networks like AMC and FX have done. All it takes is one show to put a network on the map: “The Shield” did that for FX, and “Mad Men” for AMC.

Cable Superstation WGN America Plans to Become a Cable Network
NY Times

Cable Superstation WGN America Plans to Become a Cable Network

The original drama series "Salem" is "the first step in a strategy by the Tribune Company, owner of WGN America, to transform the superstation into a full-fledged cable network, creating yet another competitor in the increasingly crowded field of purveyors of distinctive television drama," reports our good friend Bill Carter in The New York Times.

Carter reports: "Next up [on WGN], in July, is 'Manhattan,' a drama about the secret work to develop the atom bomb." (In real life the secret plan to develop the atomic bomb was called "The Manhattan Project.")

Carter spoke to Matt Cherniss, president of WGNA, who said, "If all goes well WGNA will, over the next 18 months or so, gradually work its way from superstation to cable network, bringing with it a substantial boost in profits for Tribune, through higher ad rates and license fees from cable operators."

The story adds: "Such is the plan, led by Peter Liguori, the chief executive of the Tribune Company, who knows something about starting cable channels. He led the FX network in its early days as it was emerging as a reliable home for original programming.

“'WGNA is a big part of our overall strategy,' Mr. Liguori said. 'Here was a channel with 70 to 80 million Nielsen homes with virtually no programming, in a universe where distribution is beachfront property.' The situation was 'fraught with opportunity,' he said."

especially considering it's on FX.

Uh. The Americans and Fargo.

I think FX has sufficently proven that they can deliver some pretty solid television.

(And I absolutely enjoyed the first episode...Very excited for this series.)

Uh. The Americans and Fargo.

I think FX has sufficently proven that they can deliver some pretty solid television.

(And I absolutely enjoyed the first episode...Very excited for this series.)

I was surprised about the twist at the end of the first episode regarding who shot the prisoner.

I got that Asan was the stronger of the two brothers, but that also meant that he was more capable of fullfilling his fathers violent legacy of terror....his fear of what he could be drove him away to the United States...

2nd episode (zomg those boys in the store :(

Last edited:
I'm over seeing hairy Muslim man ass. I better start seeing some lady parts or I'm done with this show.

Holy crap this show just gets better and better with each episode. If your not watching then whoa ur missing some awesome television

Basam is becoming his father...the quote about evil and how in order to combat evil one must become evil themselves.

I get why he injected the lethal dose into the opposition leaders vein..to clean up his brothers mess so when the leader woke up he couldn't tell about Jamal's attempted murder and send the country into all out war. A nessecary evil to save millions from war, but an evil he left the country 20 years ago to avoid.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back