Franchise reboots - Whats your opinion?

BenGrimm

Formally known as burntorangeVOLffle
With more and more franchises rebooting lately Ive been wondering what is to become of the Marvel Movieverse in the next few years when RDJr steps away and then Chris Evans leaves Capt America (he said he is stepping away from acting after the 3 remaining films in his contract). Those are two integral characters to the Avengers franchise.

Personally I'm not opposed to new actors stepping in. I look at it like a new artist or writer has taken over the comic. I would much rather go that direction than have to do origin stories again. They already changed Bruce Banner after all.

Now Batman absolutely had to be rebooted after Batman and Robin but Im torn on the character reboot coming in Superman vs Batman. Nolan ended his story perfectly but making him older also limits the lifespan of said reboot before having to do it again.

Spider-Man was a waste IMO. Despite the abysmal SM3 I think they could have replaced actors and done a good movie without going through the origin again.

Star Trek needed something to spark the franchise and I think they handled it great by bridging the old with the new. Looks like X-Men is about to do it the same way.

Last edited:
Some franchises need reboots over time. Apparently the next big franchise to be rebooted is Jurassic Park.

I don't have a problem with reboots, as some it would only work if the did reboot. For instance I'm surprised they waited so long to do an actual reboot of James Bond, as I thought was way overdue.

I agree on Spider-man; 3 sucked but it wasn't Batman and Robin bad, so they could have regrouped with a new actor. Plus to me reboots usually need to be longer away. The reboot of Spider-man was only 10 years after the original.

With Batman, that's a tough one. I don't mind a reboot since the Nolan trilogy was like a self-contained comic, plus I'm not sure how that Batman would fit in the more Justice League world that they are creating. I still just hate the actor choice.

Spider-Man is confusing because they rebooted that franchise immediately after Spider-Man 3. At least batman waited a while to reboot. I think their should be a 10 year minimum wait to reboot a franchise, but Hollywood seems to be running low on good films.

I agree I like the James Bond route just change the actors. Now when were looking at a film that's 20+ years old I don't necessarily mind seeing a new origin story.

I will say if they have to another origin story on a reboot do it where its like a flashback or something that only takes 8-10 minutes and not half the film.

Spider-Man is confusing because they rebooted that franchise immediately after Spider-Man 3. At least batman waited a while to reboot. I think their should be a 10 year minimum wait to reboot a franchise, but Hollywood seems to be running low on good films.

I think The Amazing Spider-Man is one of the better reboots to a franchise in a long time. IMO

I think The Amazing Spider-Man is one of the better reboots to a franchise in a long time. IMO

I think it was lateral from the original first spider-man. Garfield was no better of a spider-man that Tobey McGuire, and there was nothing about the new one that set itself apart from the others.

However, I was 100% all in favor of a reboot after they royally botched Venom in SM3. That was terrible. I'm just not huge on Garfield I think, especially after his "I would like to see them make Mary Jane a guy and explore Spider-Man's sexuality" antics.

I have to agree with you.

I was huge fan of the first one, the second one was also good and the third just didn't connect. That said when I heard they were rebooting it I was like WTF? I was not the least bit interested in the idea. Maybe I'm one of the few that actually didn't mind the original actors.

If we're being honest the only good Batman of the Nolan series was Dark Knight Rises.

Last edited:
I agree I like the James Bond route just change the actors. Now when were looking at a film that's 20+ years old I don't necessarily mind seeing a new origin story.

I will say if they have to another origin story on a reboot do it where its like a flashback or something that only takes 8-10 minutes and not half the film.

This is really my problem with hard reboots like Spider-Man. We already know the story about the spider bite and Uncle Ben. If they started the movie with him already as Spider-Man and in highschool it would have sat better with me.

That's pretty much how the Incedible Hulk did it. It wasnt a perfect movie but it was much better at laying the ground work for the movie version of the character (personally I still think they relied to heavily on the TV show and not the comic for inspiration).

I didn't know this until this past Friday, but thanks to the Comic Book Men podcast, I found out that Sony only owns the rights to Spider-Man if they keep making films. As soon as they go x amount of time without putting out a movie, the rights go back to Disney.

I didn't know this until this past Friday, but thanks to the Comic Book Men podcast, I found out that Sony only owns the rights to Spider-Man if they keep making films. As soon as they go x amount of time without putting out a movie, the rights go back to Disney.

Yep. I think it's the same thing with the X-Men.

Sony is also rebooting The Fantastic Four. I believe Marvel got the rights back to Daredevil.

Yep. I think it's the same thing with the X-Men.

Sony is also rebooting The Fantastic Four. I believe Marvel got the rights back to Daredevil.

I was all for an FF reboot but have you seen the casting? Ugh... Looks to br just as bad as the previous two.

Comic writer Mark Millar (creator of Kick Ass and Wanted as well as a lot of work for Marvel on various titles) is a consultant for Fox's Marvel properties. He says they plan to start crossing over the FF and X-Men franchises in much the same way Marvel Studios is doing

I was all for an FF reboot but have you seen the casting? Ugh... Looks to br just as bad as the previous two.

Comic writer Mark Millar (creator of Kick Ass and Wanted as well as a lot of work for Marvel on various titles) is a consultant for Fox's Marvel properties. He says they plan to start crossing over the FF and X-Men franchises in much the same way Marvel Studios is doing

Yeah the casting doesn't look great. I'm not holding my breath that it's going to be very good.

I don't mind the crossovers, but honestly I wish they could all just go back to Marvel. I know they can't crossover everything but I'd rather at least have the hope that Spider-man shows up in an Avengers movie and stuff like that, instead of knowing for sure it won't happen.

american-gladiators002.png

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah the casting doesn't look great. I'm not holding my breath that it's going to be very good.

I don't mind the crossovers, but honestly I wish they could all just go back to Marvel. I know they can't crossover everything but I'd rather at least have the hope that Spider-man shows up in an Avengers movie and stuff like that, instead of knowing for sure it won't happen.

I know Hugh Jackman is lobbying for the studios to work together. He really wants to see Wolverine on an Avengers movie.

Have to admit, an Avengers vs X-Men movie would be EPIC. No way it happens while the rights are at separate studios though.

Reboots are a disease that stifles creativity, IMO. Nothing more than lazy money grabs

Last edited:
Lmao. 90% of VN have no idea what you're talking about. Cannon Ball run was a fun movie though.

Oh I know showing my age a little but that movie was the shiz nit in its day it would be cool to see it done now

Loved that movie as a 10 year old. Kind of forgot sbout it.

Would you want another campy PG-13 version or do you want it to "grow up" with you into a more mature rated R version?

The main problem with this movie is its kids fighting monsters. Its had to sell that movie as a R or pg-13 movie. At the same time a pg version wouldn't give that movie justice. So personally I think a pg-13 version would be there best selling point. They just would need to hope people remembered the old one.

VN Store

Back