Letterman to retire in 2015

For whatever reason, his show was a lot better/funnier on NBC.

I still watched through most of the 90s. Something changed when he came back from the heart surgeries.

Agree. His early shows were great. I remember staying up watching it, and then doing my best to stay awake the next day during my high school days.

I think it's pretty much a sure bet that Ferguson is the heir apparent.

As he should, he's earned it. His show is light years more entertaining than Letterman's.

I used to like Letterman, but he hasn't been good for years. I tried to watch him the other night and it was like even he didn't want to be there.

Watching Dave is like hearing Freddy Kruger's fingernails go across a chalk board. I wish he was going to retire this year & good riddance.

Letterman was awesome back in the 80's when he came on after Carson. I did enjoy his show some on CBS in the early years. Now I just watch late night clips on the internet, but for years it has been mostly Fallon and Kimmel clips. They just have a hipness that Dave has been lacking for awhile. I mean Dave's show actually felt like anything could back happen back in the day, and that was what made his show so good on NBC. Last time I watched him, he was almost as predictable as Leno.

Still congrats to Letterman for a great career. You will be remembered as one of the all-time great late night host (Carson will always wear that crown of the true all-time best).

Yawn…Did not know he even had a show these days.

Yawn...But you still felt the need to be interested enough to post about your so-called dis-interest.

Last edited:
Letterman was awesome back in the 80's when he came on after Carson. I did enjoy his show some on CBS in the early years. Now I just watch late night clips on the internet, but for years it has been mostly Fallon and Kimmel clips. They just have a hipness that Dave has been lacking for awhile. I mean Dave's show actually felt like anything could back happen back in the day, and that was what made his show so good on NBC. Last time I watched him, he was almost as predictable as Leno.

Still congrats to Letterman for a great career. You will be remembered as one of the all-time great late night host (Carson will always wear that crown of the true all-time best).

Yawn...But you still felt the need to be interested enough to post about your so-called dis-interest.

Late Night with David Letterman was a trailblazer. Without that show there wouldn't be a Conan O'Brian, Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel, Craig Ferguson, etc. And I don't mean like for O'Brian and Fallon because they took over that show, I mean because of the style Letterman cemented.

Letterman's shows were always a bit more cutting edge and not afraid to take risks and change up the comedy style, and you can definitely see his earlier stuff being a major influence on the "new" generation of talk show hosts.

That's probably a reason why his stock has dropped. He's gotten older so it's reasonable that he'd mellow, but it's also that he's basically shifted back to a safe, predictable style that is so different than the Letterman a lot of us remember.

Rumor is that Stephen Colbert is CBS's first choice. I love the Colbert Report and I love his schtick as a satirical conservative pundit. This would be a huge career move for him, but I think he's most funny when he's playing that character and not having to be himself.

Stephen Colbert Is CBS' Top Choice To Replace David Letterman (Reports)

Also a rumor that they are going after Chelsea Handler, because she's leaving E! at the end of this year.

I think Handler getting the gig would make the Conan O'Brien era of the Tonight Show look like a rousing success. She'd be a horrible replacement.

I also saw where Neil Patrick Harris is a possible candidate. A lot may disagree with it, but I think it could be a good choice. And I for one would love that choice.

I'm kinda disappointed that Ferguson wouldn't be given the bump. But they need to probably go with someone more popular and young to compete with Fallon, Conan, Kimmel, Meyers.

Last edited:
I also saw where Neil Patrick Harris is a possible candidate. A lot may disagree with it, but I think it could be a good choice. And I for one would love that choice.

I'm kinda disappointed that Ferguson wouldn't be given the bump. But they need to probably go with someone more popular and young to compete with Fallon, Conan, Kimmel, Meyers.

Ferguson deserves it, and I think he should get it. But as strange as it sounds, he may not want it. He seems to love his "underdog" status and me might see the move to 11:30 mean that he has to tame his act.

He might just be happy exactly where he is.

I think Dave's bitterness and political bias made him unbearable at times. As long as he stayed away from those two subjects he was watchable.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back