Turn (AMC)

CagleMtnVol

TURN: Washington's Spies

This looks fantastic! If isn't riddled with historical inaccuracies!

The drama will kick off on Sunday, April 6 at 9/8c with a 90-minute series premiere on AMC!

1551545_664493910256019_1985224543_n.png

Turn on Facebook

Trailer One "Turn: Against"
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXGgC3bjKlA[/youtube]

Trailer Two "Turn: Revolutionary"
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHHwYJCVZn0[/youtube]

AMC’s ‘Turn’ Inspired By Correspondence Between George Washington and Spy Ring

AMC’s ‘Turn’ Inspired By Correspondence Between George Washington and Spy Ring

Alexander Rose, whose book Washington Spies is the basis for AMC‘s new drama series Turn, said he wrote the book while mulling a different book and discovered little had been written about the spying efforts of George Washington. At the Library of Congress, he said, he discovered a “vast untapped reservoir of intelligence history that had been ignored over the last couple hundred years because, it’s face it, it’s a bit seamy, a bit underhanded.” That treasure trove included Washington’s extensive correspondence with the Culper Ring” who are the focus of the TV series. (Among the correspondence was an exchange between the ringleader Washington over expenses). “At that point I said okay this is what it’s going to be,” Rose told TV critics at Winter TV Press Tour 2014.

Set in the summer of 1778, Turn centers on farmer Abe Woodhull (Jamie Bell) who bands together with a group of childhood friends to form The Culper Ring, an unlikely group of spies who turn the tide in America’s fight for independence. It was written by Craig Silverstein, who exec produces with Barry Josephson.

Rose said he was attracted to the “unseen or hidden side of Washington…that’s been obscured in the last two hundred years in order to maintain some presidential dignity…He loved to spy and he was really good at it.”

Asked how the “finite story” of the real-life spy ring could sustain a long-running series , exec producer Craig Silverstein reminded TV critics there was “about eight years of the war, and the Culper Ring was certainly active after the war.” While Benedict Arnold “is still the highest ranked mole in espionage history…these were childhood friends and that’s the reason they were successful — because they knew each other.”

AMC’s ‘Turn’ Casts Ian Kahn as George Washington

AMC’s ‘Turn’ Casts Ian Kahn as George Washington

AMC’s “Turn” has found its George Washington.

Ian Kahn (“Suits,” “Parenthood”) has been cast Kahn in a guest role as the father of our country in AMC’s upcoming historical drama.

The series, which chronicles the formation of a spy ring that became Washington’s secret weapon in the Revolutionary War era, premieres April 6.

Jamie Bell and Heather Lind also star in the series, which is based on the Alexander Rose book “Washington’s Spies.” Barry Josephson and Craig Silverstein are executive producing, with Silverstein (“Nikita”) serving as showrunner.

Last edited:
AMC's track record is still good, I just hope it's not another Low Winter Sun.

AMC's track record is still good, I just hope it's not another Low Winter Sun.
LWS never looked very interesting to me in the previews which is why I never tried it. This on the other hand could be very good but then again I'm a huge history buff.

LWS never looked very interesting to me in the previews which is why I never tried it. This on the other hand could be very good but then again I'm a huge history buff.

Yeah I tend to cringe as an amateur historian when I spot historical inaccuracies, I guess that makes me nerdy or something.

Yeah I tend to cringe as an amateur historian when I spot historical inaccuracies, I guess that makes me nerdy or something.

Yeah several of those first episodes of Sleepy Hollow almost turned me off the entire show. I mean they were getting dates and things mixed up about the Boston tea party I think they said something about Washington ordering it? :no:

Yeah several of those first episodes of Sleepy Hollow almost turned me off the entire show. I mean they were getting dates and things mixed up about the Boston tea party I think they said something about Washington ordering it? :no:

I know what you are talking about but I thought it was about Lexington and Concord? Anyway this show looks really interesting, you don't see too many movies/TV shows based on this time period.

Heads up I know that GOT returns tonight as well but throw one or both on your DVR and give this a shot!

It looks really good!

Yeah I can't wait for this, hope it turns out a success.

Watched the first episode, overall kinda meh. It was rather slow and a tad boring until the last 15 minutes or so.

I'll keep watching but I hope it picks up.

Watched the first episode, overall kinda meh. It was rather slow and a tad boring until the last 15 minutes or so.

I'll keep watching but I hope it picks up.

Keep us updated. I love history so I think I'd find this interesting, but I'll wait to watch it I have a lot of shows I'm trying to get caught up on right now.

Keep us updated. I love history so I think I'd find this interesting, but I'll wait to watch it I have a lot of shows I'm trying to get caught up on right now.

It should get better as most of last night was setup of the story.

So far what I don't like is it's a tad cliche on the protrayal of the British. They are a bit over the top on how "evil" the redcoats are. Pretty much if you've seen any movie about the Revolutionary War, you've seen the characters here.

I enjoyed it. The first episode was all about setting the plot up for viewers too understand what is going on and why.

Finally got around to watching this last night and watched all three episodes from start to finish and was blown away.

Surprisingly this is very good and i say surprisingly because most historical series seem to be hit or miss.

I didn't see any glaring historical discrepancies other than the Hessian soldiers not speaking German or having a more Germanic accent. One other thing is the use of Robert Rodgers hopefully this doesn't play out very long as he apparently didn't do much during the war other than be apart of the capturing of Nathan Hale this must be what they roughly basing some the story on.

I also have to say a pretty solid cast!

Ratings dropped for the second straight week, down to a 1.40. Not a good sign after 3 weeks. It's doing a little better than Low Winter Sun was after 3 episodes but most thought that was DOA about halfway in.

LWS's performance was probably judged a bit more harshly though considering it come on after Breaking Bad, so it should have had a big lead in audience but people literally turned the channel then came back for Talking Dead. Turn is the opposite, it's coming on before Mad Men. It's not helping too that Mad Men's ratings are down and dropped from the already low season premiere.

Maybe they'll stick with this, but AMC's shine seems to be wearing off. They have The Walking Dead and Hell on Wheels (which has also never been a big time ratings winner), and after Mad Men is over, not much else. I think it's telling that in those promos they show, even though the finale aired 6 months ago now, they're still showing Breaking Bad clips. Although I did notice the newest ones are showing Saul, so maybe it's for Better Call Saul, which right now I bet they can't wait until that starts.

Also, those special effects were awful last episode; the sea shots were almost SyFy Channel bad.

Also, those special effects were awful last episode; the sea shots were almost SyFy Channel bad.

I really like the show, but you are right. Those special fx were awful. It was laughable actually. I hope the show will make it, I am a huge Revolutionary War nerd.

Special effects are not great, but the show itself is very good. The show is not going to made or broken by special effects.

Reactions: 1 person
I haven't even watched the last 2 episodes but I have them DVR'd. The ratings continue to drop, so with 5 episodes left, it's not looking too good. They are very slightly above where Low Winter Sun's ratings were at the same point.

VN Store

Back