Books You've Read Recently

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
I figured this would fit into the media forum. I'm always looking for good stuff to read. What have you recently finished?

I just finished:

Animal Farm - George Orwell (finally)
Chaos Theory - Robert P. Murphy (it's about the functionality of an anarchist society)
Young and Revolting - CD Payne (final installment of the Youth in Revolt series)

Reactions: GroverCleveland
I searched "books" and it didn't come up.

I remembered a thread about "books you've read", and people had lists of like 50 titles per post. I'm more interested in what you are reading right now, fresh on your mind.

So I guess VN just isn't interested in books? 1 post since January. Merge, por favor.

just pointing out that you are mistaken about there just being one post since January.

Reactions: 1 person
I searched "books" and it didn't come up.

I remembered a thread about "books you've read", and people had lists of like 50 titles per post. I'm more interested in what you are reading right now, fresh on your mind.

Currently, halfway through War and Peace, into Book 3 of Hume's Treatise (second time through), and halfway through Genome by Matt Ridley. Also reading (and editing) a 500-page manuscript on military ethics (specifically, systemic "collateral damage").

On my list for the rest of the summer are:

Darkness at Noon
The Sound and the Fury
Appointment in Samarra

Nietzsche's Genealogy of Morals
And, the second half of Sidgwick's Method of Ethics

How was Chaos Theory?

Currently, halfway through War and Peace, into Book 3 of Hume's Treatise (second time through), and halfway through Genome by Matt Ridley. Also reading (and editing) a 500-page manuscript on military ethics (specifically, systemic "collateral damage").

Darkness at Noon
The Sound and the Fury
Appointment in Samarra

How was Chaos Theory?

Good, and it's only like 50 pages. It's a quick read. Very high level view of how justice would be served, how contracts would be honored, etc. You can download it free from the author (of course you can, he's an anarchist).

Love Ridley, BTW. Haven't read any of his books.

I'm halfway through Atlas Shrugged, and a little exhausted by it. I don't know how it's going to end, but I already feel like the whole thing could have been written in half the pages.

I'm halfway through Atlas Shrugged, and a little exhausted by it. I don't know how it's going to end, but I already feel like the whole thing could have been written in half the pages.

For Ayn Rand in half the pages, read Anthem or We the Living. Of course, both those books lack the really great dialogue and introspection that make The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged masterpieces.

Hunger Games series
Percy Jackson and the Olympians series

Yeah, giant kid at heart!

I totally agree. An abridged version would be perfect.

Darkness at Noon
The Sound and the Fury
Appointment in Samarra

How was Chaos Theory?

So you're finally reading War and Peace and Sound and the Fury.... Fuq, those are two of my top five favorite books. Read both multiple times. Can't wait to hear about your thoughts on Alyosha. His character is the reason I'm a Christian, again; no longer an atheist....

For Ayn Rand in half the pages, read Anthem or We the Living. Of course, both those books lack the really great dialogue and introspection that make The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged masterpieces.

Atlas Shrugged is no masterpiece, imo. It's just The Fountainhead with a vagina.

So you're finally reading War and Peace and Sound and the Fury.... Fuq, those are two of my top five favorite books. Read both multiple times. Can't wait to hear about your thoughts on Alyosha. His character is the reason I'm a Christian, again; no longer an atheist....

You are thinking of Brothers K?

VN Store

Back