The Big Bang Theory

The first episodes of this show I've ever watched was the other night on TBS, and I thought it was very good. I'd like to watch it tonight, but unfortunately it conflicts with Parks & Rec., so no TBBT for me. I'll catch the older episodes on TBS though.

Have you watched it? It's pretty funny.

But I think the humor only appeals to intelligent people. No offense.

Is that why you need a laugh track to indicate when it's appropriate to laugh?

Yeah, I've been talked into giving it a shot a few times. Dislike.

Is that why you need a laugh track to indicate when it's appropriate to laugh?

Yeah, I've been talked into giving it a shot a few times. Dislike.

Is this somehow a criteria for determining if a show is funny? Are all shows with laugh tracks automatically not funny? Here I was all these years thinking Seinfeld was one of, if not the best sitcom of all time, but now I see the error of my ways thanks to the laugh track.

From now on I'll make sure to judge shows using the appropriate means. "Show X has great storylines, interesting characters, witty dialogue? Sounds like something I might want to check out. Oh, you mean to tell me it has a laugh track? Never mind, it can't possibly be funny." :crazy:

Is this somehow a criteria for determining if a show is funny? Are all shows with laugh tracks automatically not funny? Here I was all these years thinking Seinfeld was one of, if not the best sitcom of all time, but now I see the error of my ways thanks to the laugh track.

From now on I'll make sure to judge shows using the appropriate means. "Show X has great storylines, interesting characters, witty dialogue? Sounds like something I might want to check out. Oh, you mean to tell me it has a laugh track? Never mind, it can't possibly be funny." :crazy:

Not necessarily, but I don't think it can be considered sophisticated humor (which was what he claimed it to be).

Seinfeld was sophisticated humor in 1989. 22 years later, it's not really as relevant or as funny (kind of like how shows like MASH are no longer funny at all). Curb Your Enthusiasm is the 2011 version. Unfortunately the evolution of TV has not yet completely eradicated the laugh track.

Not necessarily, but I don't think it can be considered sophisticated humor (which was what he claimed it to be).

Seinfeld was sophisticated humor in 1989. 22 years later, it's not really as relevant or as funny (kind of like how shows like MASH are no longer funny at all). Curb Your Enthusiasm is the 2011 version. Unfortunately the evolution of TV has not yet completely eradicated the laugh track.

Ummm...what?

Do you think Seinfeld reruns today get as many viewers as they did in 1998? I don't. And if I want that same kind of situational humor with a 2011 feel, I watch Curb.

That was a toothless argument. No syndicated show gets as many viewers as they did on the original screening of the show. It doesn't make them any less funny. It just means that they're re-runs. People have already seen them.

Do you think Seinfeld reruns today get as many viewers as they did in 1998? I don't. And if I want that same kind of situational humor with a 2011 feel, I watch Curb.

You're comparing 15-20 year old reruns with airing in primetime? Of course not, but to say they aren't as relevent or funny I don't agree with. Seinfeld is probably the most syndicated show on the air right now, and still has a huge following. Not to mention Seinfeld references are still popular.

That was a toothless argument. No syndicated show gets as many viewers as they did on the original screening of the show. It doesn't make them any less funny. It just means that they're re-runs. People have already seen them.

I wasn't comparing it against the original airings. I was comparing reruns in 2011 against reruns in 1998 (when the show ended, so the jokes weren't new, but still relevant).

I wasn't comparing it against the original airings. I was comparing reruns in 2011 against reruns in 1998 (when the show ended, so the jokes weren't new, but still relevant).

The fact that the re-runs get fewer viewers today than the re-runs had in 1998 means nothing. It just means that people have seen these shows tons of times because they're so popular that they've been in mass syndication forever.

To suggest that the jokes in Seinfeld were even relevant to the time period that the show ran is ridiculous. It's a self-professed show about nothing.

To suggest that the jokes in Seinfeld were even relevant to the time period that the show ran is ridiculous. It's a self-professed show about nothing.

What? You're claiming that the greatest sitcom of all time had irrelevant jokes when it originally aired? Your argument doesn't make any sense. Just because the story through 9 years went nowhere (what they mean by a show about nothing) does not mean the jokes were irrelevant.

I don't know how anybody can watch anything with a laugh track, especially Big Bang. How I Met Your Mother is funny, but I can't watch it because of the laugh track. Big Bang isn't funny, period. And then there's a laugh track. Kill it, so we can finally kill this bad, ancient sitcom formula once and for all.

What? You're claiming that the greatest sitcom of all time had irrelevant jokes when it originally aired? Your argument doesn't make any sense. Just because the story through 9 years went nowhere (what they mean by a show about nothing) does not mean the jokes were irrelevant.

First of all, I'm not claiming that Seinfeld is the greatest sitcom of all time. Second of all, my point is that Seinfeld is no less relevant now than it was when it originally aired because it was a show about nothing. The jokes weren't tied to the time period in which it aired. They weren't tied to any time period. it was a show about nothing.

Seinfeld was a show that was based almost entirely around making light of the small everyday issues in life and awkward social situations. It had nothing to do with a time period. 423's post is pretty spot on with regard to the show being about nothing.......because essentially, it is.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Last edited:
As for the big bang theory it's not that bad IMO. I don't make it a point to watch it every week, but I've still caught a few episodes that I thought were kinda funny.

First of all, I'm not claiming that Seinfeld is the greatest sitcom of all time. Second of all, my point is that Seinfeld is no less relevant now than it was when it originally aired because it was a show about nothing. The jokes weren't tied to the time period in which it aired. They weren't tied to any time period. it was a show about nothing.

Anybody with an iq over 50 could understand your first point. Don't feel the need to respond to some mouth breather living in his moms basement.

As for the big bang theory it's not that bad IMO. I don't make it a point to watch it every week, but I've still caught a few episodes that I thought were kinda funny.

That's how I am with the show.

The jokes were absolutely irrelevant. Seinfeld was a true sitcom (situational comedy). It made fun of the situations, and they were all timeless. It never made jokes relative to popular culture or anything of the time period. They are as relevant now as ever.

I still dislike watching it just as much as I did in 1998.

Seinfeld was a show that was based almost entirely around making light of the small everyday issues in life and awkward social situations. It had nothing to do with a time period. 423's post is pretty spot on with regard to the show being about nothing.......because essentially, it is.

Seinfeld was a bit edgy when it came to topics like sex, and that's one reason why it was so funny. By today's standards, it's very tame which is partly why I don't think it's as funny.

VN Store

Back