Wild Wild Country (Netflix) Debate Thread

95 Vol Alum

Go Big Vols!
No spoiler tags needed.

I have 1 episode to go but think I know enough to debate intelligently on it.

I struggled with the whole "politics" of the relocation and see both sides of the debate that started. Not sure where I am on the initial relocation.

In hindsight, the relocation appeared to kill what was once a peaceful, quiet spot for 40-50 folks. And for, quite frankly, a pipe dream of a concept that didn't have a logical likelihood of success.

Complete 180 degree cultural upheaval of what existed previously without an integration plan or expectation.

No spoiler tags needed.

I struggled with the whole "politics" of the relocation and see both sides of the debate that started. Not sure where I am on the initial relocation.

In hindsight, the relocation appeared to kill what was once a peaceful, quiet spot for 40-50 folks. And for, quite frankly, a pipe dream of a concept that didn't have a logical likelihood of success.

Complete 180 degree cultural upheaval of what existed previously without an integration plan or expectation.

I believe they could have lived relatively peacefully if they had not tried to take over the entire county.

Maybe. But the description of the open sex seemed a bit of an issue to me. I thought at least one original resident talked about just seeing people having sex here and there in the open once they took over the town.

No spoiler tags needed.

I mean I don’t know what can be done legally to stop something like this from happening before it happens. They had money to buy the ranch.

Pretending the townspeople were being dicks because they didn’t want this filth moving in and overtaking the area is just plain silly.

They weren’t decent people just looking to live a different life. They were animals having sex in the open and went on to even more sinister acts such as attempted murder and poisoning of hundreds. Not to mention some of the stuff I read outside of the doc. Threatening murder and letting little kids basically raise themselves as the parents would take turns “babysitting” while the others did who knows what.

Last edited:
I mean I don’t know what can be done legally to stop something like this from happening before it happens. They had money to buy the ranch.

Pretending the townspeople were being dicks because they didn’t want this filth moving in and overtaking the area is just plain silly.

They weren’t decent people just looking to live a different life. They were animals having sex in the open and went on to even more sinister acts such as attempted murder and poisoning of hundreds. Not to mention some of the stuff I read outside of the doc. Threatening murder and letting little kids basically raise themselves as the parents would take turns “babysitting” while the others did who knows what.

Exactly..I too read up on this after seeing the show. A lot of stuff was left out, like how India was going to shut them down for prostitution and other criminal behavior. These were insane animals, and no decent moral people want this crap living in, or much less taking over their community.

The big thing is they weren’t interested in integrating with their surroundings. Like a virus, they were.

They should have never incorporated. Just build your oasis and don’t bother anybody.

If they had done that, it may have turned out a little different, but the internal struggles of the commune would have and did become criminal anyway. They did try killing their own in an internal power struggle, that is a fact.

The fact that she had all these secret rooms says everything about the powerful and the commoners. Never would survive.....and didn’t.

Lol at "pretending". They were dicks. Nobody can dispute that. The question is whether or not it was justified to be dicks.

Episode 3 the Rajneeshi said "we will leave Antelope if the state lifts zoning restrictions."

Lol at "pretending". They were dicks. Nobody can dispute that. The question is whether or not it was justified to be dicks.

Episode 3 the Rajneeshi said "we will leave Antelope if the state lifts zoning restrictions."

Keep defending the cult Huff. Makes you look great. Really smart.

Why are you so worked up about this? You're condescending and sensitive. The locals were dicks. That's it. Why does that reality bother you so much?

I don't care what you think about the people of antelope 35 years ago. Not bothered at all.

I'm just amused that there are people (I'm sure there are others besides you) who would view it from that perspective. The townspeople are dicks because they don't want this freak show moving in and taking over. :crazy:

Last edited:
I don't care what you think about the people of antelope 35 years ago. Not bothered at all.

I'm just amused that there are people (I'm sure there are others besides you) who would view it from that perspective. The townspeople are dicks because they don't want this freak show moving in and taking over. :crazy:

So then we agree and your previous two posts were a troll job.

Why can’t that be a 2 way street? The cult didn’t seem too concerned with what their neighbors thought of them.

Hey, they are protected by a bill of rights and freedom of assembly.

You don't like watching your neighbors having sex in the street like dogs well that's just tough. Mind your business.

May want to avoid the local salad bar too. But that's just life ya know?

Why can’t that be a 2 way street? The cult didn’t seem too concerned with what their neighbors thought of them.

I never said that it wasn't. The cult definitely behaved badly, but my point was they hadn't done anything wrong when the locals began to oppose them. They were leaving Antelope alone until Antelope tried to use zoning laws to chase them off.

And then again, the Rajneeshi said they would leave Antelope if the zoning laws were not enforced.

The locals and the state of Oregon made a relative non-issue into a big problem and then they decided they'd rather be crusaders than compromise.

I thought this documentary was about 3 parts to long and ultimately seemed like a puff piece for the larger religion that still goes on today and the attorney’s book that is about to come out.

VN Store

Back