Toy story 4: June 2019

Cool. June 21, 2019 will be my son’s 8th birthday.

This has been talked about for soooo long, I'll believe it when I see it.

Huh? Pixar confirms a release date but you don’t believe it?

Not a fan of this, Toy Story 3 was really good and the perfect way to end the franchise.

I agree but I also trust Pixar to make a good movie. The franchise has lived on in shorts anyway. Not like 3 was the absolute end.

They’re not going to open up a Toy Story section of Disney World without a movie to promote it.

Why do they HAVE to have a new movie to promote it? With 3 movies and several shorts already out, Toy Story is already in the fabric of pop culture. Everybody knows who those characters are.

Why do they HAVE to have a new movie to promote it? With 3 movies and several shorts already out, Toy Story is already in the fabric of pop culture. Everybody knows who those characters are.

Why do we need another Spiderman? Batman? Comic book movies? Everyone knows those characters, some of them approaching 100 years old. Yet they are almost constantly being rebooted and reimagined.

These are not commissions of great art. These are vehicles to make money. You are emotionally attached to the films. Disney isn't. Disney is emotionally attached to the money they generate. I own Disney stock, so I'm emotionally attached to the thought it will appreciate and pay me dividends. To that end I say keep making whatever people want to see. I think it's silly to deny children the ability to experience something contemporaneous. It's like allowing your kids to only listen to 70's music. What you value may not be at all what they like.

Reactions: Behr
Why do we need another Spiderman? Batman? Comic book movies? Everyone knows those characters, some of them approaching 100 years old. Yet they are almost constantly being rebooted and reimagined.

These are not commissions of great art. These are vehicles to make money. You are emotionally attached to the films. Disney isn't. Disney is emotionally attached to the money they generate. I own Disney stock, so I'm emotionally attached to the thought it will appreciate and pay me dividends. To that end I say keep making whatever people want to see. I think it's silly to deny children the ability to experience something contemporaneous. It's like allowing your kids to only listen to 70's music. What you value may not be at all what they like.

I don’t disagree with your larger point but I like to think PIXAR has some integrity and they wouldn’t make a movie unless they think they have a good story to tell. Cars 2 is the only time I’ve felt they were cashing in.

Just look how long it has taken them to make The Incredibles 2! If there was ever a time to cash in on that property it’s been the last 10 years.

I don’t disagree with your larger point but I like to think PIXAR has some integrity and they wouldn’t make a movie unless they think they have a good story to tell. Cars 2 is the only time I’ve felt they were cashing in.

Just look how long it has taken them to make The Incredibles 2! If there was ever a time to cash in on that property it’s been the last 10 years.

Monsters University was another big time cash in.

I agree with you. I've always held Pixar to a higher standard. However ever since they sold out to Disney this is what we should come to expect I guess.

Last edited:

I'm not strictly opposed to sequels. I just think in THIS particular case they're taking it too far. Toy Story 3 ended the series so perfectly. Why they feel the need to go back to this well yet again perplexes me. Yes the easy answer is "money" but they're Pixar! Everything they produce prints money! It's not like they're depending on the Toy Story franchise to stay afloat.

And sorry but you are wrong. These ARE art! All art that is commissioned are vehicles to make money. I'm sure if you went to every programmer, story board designer, graphic designer, sound designer, all the way down to the person who empties the trash cans at Pixar and tried to tell them that what they make isnt art they would vehemently disagree!

Monsters University was another big time cash in.

I agree with you. I've always held Pixar to a higher standard. However ever since they sold out to Disney this is what we should come to expect I guess.

Was Monsters Incever one of their more popular ones? I liked Monsters U. Thought it told a good story and added to the characters.

Cars 2 was just slapped together quickly to keep those toys selling. At least Pixar bowed out of Planes (which my kids loved).

Took the kids to see this today. 5/5

I thought 3 was the perfect ending and was a little disappointed they were making another one. But Pixar gonna Pixar. They found a way to tell an original story again.

They are remodeling the theatre we went to. Must have been some dust from all the construction that got in my eyes toward the end.

I don’t see how they could make another after this one.

Woody and Buzz together. I was pretty surprised Woody stayed with Bo.

I was also mad at Bonnie for ignoring him after Andy gave him up. Andy was going to take him to college but she promised to take care of him. Then she didn’t even notice him missing 😥

I saw it yesterday. I'd give it an 8/10. It was a pretty bittersweet ending.

The only thing that sort of bugged me was the movie gave me a vibe of being like the direct to video sequels they used to in the 90s/early 2000s (Lion King 2, Aladdin 2, Little Mermaid 2). Like the plot was ok but didn't seem quite big enough for a big time release. But since it's Toy Story and they don't do the direct to video (or I guess direct to streaming now) route they made it a big theater release.

Saw it last nite.

It's amazing how few duds Pixar has put out. If they aren't the most consistent studio out there I don't know who is.

Reactions: Rishvol
Saw it yesterday afternoon. Thought it was a good movie. Still think #1 was the best.

Saw it yesterday afternoon. Thought it was a good movie. Still think #1 was the best.

Story wise definitely... the animation in this one was so much sharper. When Bo came on screen I instantly noticed how glossy she looked. The textures of things like the cobwebs in the antique shop and various fair rides was almost photo realistic if not for the cartoon color palette. And of course the humans have come a long way since that stiff version of Andy back in 1995.

My kids were gearing up for this by watching the first 3 in the week leading up to this one. Their fav is definitely the first and they have grown up in a world with all 3 already on video. That tells me the story is more than just nostalgia...

(A New Hope is also their fav Star Wars so maybe they just like the first ones shown)

Reactions: Jackcrevol
I watched it. It was decent. It will make plenty of money. Disney needs to make up for the crappy star wars sequels.

Reactions: Jackcrevol

VN Store

Back