Mcu...

Sub Par SUPERSTAR

All around decent fella.
Just saw the trailer for the new Avengers movie and it looks pretty awesome (as does Black Panther.)...Problem is, I've never seen any of the other Marvel films and I know there's a butt-ton of them, and they're all interconnected...I'm not a Marvel comic guy, so other than Spider-Man and his rogues gallery, I have no clue about villains, their backstories, or motivations...And I don't have the time or desire to sit through all of those movies.

So, could anybody suggest a couple (two too maybe four) that I could watch one weekend that would sufficiently get me up to speed so that I'm not lost when I go see these movies next year.

Definitely need to watch the other avenger movies.

I would recommend in order:

Iron Man 1
Avengers 1
Captain America: Winter Soldier cuz it’s so awesome.
Guardians of the Galaxy 1

There are many others worth watching but those lay a pretty good framework.

Reactions: 1 person
Just saw the trailer for the new Avengers movie and it looks pretty awesome (as does Black Panther.)...Problem is, I've never seen any of the other Marvel films and I know there's a butt-ton of them, and they're all interconnected...I'm not a Marvel comic guy, so other than Spider-Man and his rogues gallery, I have no clue about villains, their backstories, or motivations...And I don't have the time or desire to sit through all of those movies.

So, could anybody suggest a couple (two too maybe four) that I could watch one weekend that would sufficiently get me up to speed so that I'm not lost when I go see these movies next year.

The good news is you have some time to get caught up as Avengers: Infinity War doesn't release until May 4th.

So until then if you want to try and get caught up this is the list of films I would watch.

This would be my list to make sure your own top of everything.

Those in () aren't must see but if you have time to check them out.

Iron Man
(Iron Man 2)
(Thor)
Captain America: The First Avenger
Marvel's The Avengers
(Iron Man 3)
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers: Age of Ultron
(Ant-Man)
Captain America: Civil War
(Doctor Strange)
(Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2)
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Thor: Ragnarok
Black Panther
(releases February 16th)
Avengers: Infinity War (releases May 4th)
Ant-Man and the Wasp (July 6th)

(Join us in the Movies & Music forum from time time we always have threads going on the latest film or hot TV show)

Reactions: 2 people

Relevant to seeing Avengers Infinity War I would recommend as bare minimum MUST WATCH

Avengers 1-2 (obvious reasons)
Captain America Winter Soldier and Civil War (same Directors as Infinity War)
Guardians of the Galaxy 1 (Touches on Thanos more that any other movie)

You should be good to go after those.

If you have time:
Iron Man 1 (kicked off the whole thing)
Thor 1 (introduces Loki who is the main villain in Avengers 1)
Doctor Strange (he has one of the Infinity Stones)
Thor: Ragnarok (still in theatres will explain why Thor is differ than his last appearance in Avengers 2)

All the others are fun but not necessary to understand what is going on in Infinity War.

I think it's important to watch the first (Iron Man), anything with Infinity Stones, and the Avengers movies (+ Civil War)

I think it's important to watch the first (Iron Man), anything with Infinity Stones, and the Avengers movies (+ Civil War)

I don’t think IM 1 is important to the Infinity War set up.

It’s a great movie but not integral to what the OP is after.

I think the introduction to the universe and the introduction to Shield is important

The only intro to SHIELD is after credits scene. IM 2 does more to introduce Fury and Black Widow than IM 1.

I’m not saying IM 1 isn’t important on the whole. It’s still one of the most entertaining MCU movies. In that sense it is definitely a must watch. Story wise I don’t thinks it’s that important to Infinity War which is what the OP is asking.

In other words, it is really hard to get the big picture in 2-4 films. Lol.

Avengers 1-2 and maybe Guardians 1 would probably be enough.

I threw in the last 2 Captain America movies because they are by the same director so they will probably pull some stuff from those.

All the other movies are really to acquaint you with the characters. If you are willing to do a little wiki research and accept that Infinity War probably isn’t going to have a lot of time to explain who everyone is then those 3 I mentioned should be fine.

You might as well just take time and watch them all in order, plus post credit scenes, or you will be confused about things. You have plenty of time and they are all entertaing in their own way.

Reactions: 4 people
You might as well just take time and watch them all in order, plus post credit scenes, or you will be confused about things. You have plenty of time and they are all entertaing in their own way.

This.

Honestly if I were you I'd try to watch them all, because the worst ones are still entertaining and overall pretty good superhero movies.

If you need more you can explore the MCU television/streaming series, though other than the first 2 seasons of Agents of SHIELD, none of the shows have storylines that crossover into the events of the films, other than some mentions of the events of the Avenger movies and name dropping some of the bigger heroes. You can definitely take your time with all that.

X-Men can stay separate for now but I want FF in the MCU in a bad way.

I'm going to bet they try to work them into Avengers 4. They'll probably introduce the MCU version in the movie and make reference to Xavier and the X-Men.

And since this means they'll have Doctor Doom back it would be cool to have a FF movie against him with Spider-man making an appearance.

I love the MCU, but it's so weird to me that you have someone like Frank Castle and and a character like Rocket Raccoon existing in the same universe.

I love the MCU, but it's so weird to me that you have someone like Frank Castle and and a character like Rocket Raccoon existing in the same universe.

True, but I guess when you get down to it, once you open the door to any kind of weirdness it's really kind of relative.

It’s a big Universe.

The Netflix Punisher would still work well with Spider-Man but he would be a hard pressed character to shoehorn into a story where GotG is in the mix.

Iron Man - all of them
Captain America - Winter Soldier/Civil War
GoTG 1 and 2
Thor - All of em
Antman
And of course the Avengers flicks
Dr Strange

But watch them in order..

Actually now that I think about it, I'd love a scene where Castle runs into Rocket Raccoon and says "What the **** are you?".

VN Store

Back