Amazon lands The Lord of the Rings TV series

Volunteer_Kirby

Its not what you think...
In its quest to launch a hit fantasy series of the Game of Thrones caliber, Amazon has closed a massive deal — said to be close to $250 million — to acquire global TV rights to The Lord of the Rings, based on the fantasy novels by J.R.R. Tolkien. The streaming service has given a multi-season commitment to a LOTR series in the pact, which also includes a potential spinoff series.

LINK

Sounds pretty cool... it appears Amazon out-bid HBO and Netflix for the series. The budget is about on par with the later seasons of Game of Thrones.

Last edited:
I know they left a good chunk of the books out of the movies but I’m not sure a series will add much more to the overall story. We’ve already got like 12hrs this.

Reactions: Toujours Pret
I know they left a good chunk of the books out of the movies but I’m not sure a series will add much more to the overall story. We’ve already got like 12hrs this.

Is it just for the LOTR trilogy, or the whole Tolkien Middle Earth franchise? If the Silmarillion and Unfinished tales etc etc are included...That is a massive treasure chest of fantastic storytelling to plunder.

Is it just for the LOTR trilogy, or the whole Tolkien Middle Earth franchise? If the Silmarillion and Unfinished tales etc etc are included...That is a massive treasure chest of fantastic storytelling to plunder.

Yeah... it does say a spin off so I’m sure that’s where a lot of material will come from.

Didn’t they include a bunch into the Hobbit to stretch it into a trilogy though?

WoW!..I'm geeking over the thought of some of these stories being made..people not familiar with the Silmarillion or even some of the LOTR appendices stories like The Fall of Numenor do not understand. Those are the most thrilling and heartbreaking stories Tolkein wrote.

I would love a show that uses no source material for story telling. Use the world and give us something new. Preferably not a story about rings and good vs evil. How about something with shades of gray, like men vs elves.

Yeah... it does say a spin off so I’m sure that’s where a lot of material will come from.

Didn’t they include a bunch into the Hobbit to stretch it into a trilogy though?

Like he said..they tried, but they didn't do a great job of it. The Hobbit trilogy was a mess. It should have been just two good movies.

Last edited:
I would love a show that uses no source material for story telling. Use the world and give us something new. Preferably not a story about rings and good vs evil. How about something with shades of gray, like men vs elves.

There is a lot of gray in the Silmarrilion, you would love some of those stories.

Reactions: norrislakevol
They tried to.

What is crazy is Jackson and Co did such a good job of compressing story and melding characters in LOTRs, but just sucked to high heaven in doing the opposite and stretching story and creating characters on The Hobbit. I mean for the most part nearly all Middle Earth geeks I know were happy with how they adapted LOTR.

:huh: :question: :no:

Really?

There are so many great side stories in LoTR, it would be a shame - a disaster even - if they went that route. Could easily see them doing something along the lines of the Last Alliance keeping with the history of the ring. Lots of great stuff in the Second Age and still even more accessible content in the Third Age, could make a whole series out of the Elder Days as well. Each race, the Dwarves, the Elves, and the First Men has a ton of great content pre-Hobbit/LoTR.

I hope we get to see Tom Bombadil in some capacity. He was one of the most interesting characters in LoTR, though I can understand if they don't find use for his character in the TV series - his sing-song way of speaking may not translate well to TV. Personally would love to see some early Middle Earth (Elder Days and Second Age) history and characters. Lots and lots of great content there, particularly in the wars.

:huh: :question: :no:

Really?

There are so many great side stories in LoTR, it would be a shame - a disaster even - if they went that route. Could easily see them doing something along the lines of the Last Alliance keeping with the history of the ring. Lots of great stuff in the Second Age and still even more accessible content in the Third Age, could make a whole series out of the Elder Days as well. Each race, the Dwarves, the Elves, and the First Men has a ton of great content pre-Hobbit/LoTR.

IDK that stuff and I didn't realize there was so much of it, so disregard my comment. I guess I just don't want it to have overly-simplistic morality and characters without complexity and I don't want 5 minute bunny sleigh ride on grass...

What is crazy is Jackson and Co did such a good job of compressing story and melding characters in LOTRs, but just sucked to high heaven in doing the opposite and stretching story and creating characters on The Hobbit. I mean for the most part nearly all Middle Earth geeks I know were happy with how they adapted LOTR.

I still liked The Hobbit enough. They aren't as good as the LOTR trilogy and yeah it should have been 2 movies tops, but part of the problem is Jackson took over directing way late in the development and he wasn't allowed to start over. He was forced to use most of what Del Toro had already done, and Jackson has said he would have done the whole thing differently.

IDK that stuff and I didn't realize there was so much of it, so disregard my comment. I guess I just don't want it to have overly-simplistic morality and characters without complexity and I don't want 5 minute bunny sleigh ride on grass...

Ah..the old infamous bunny sleigh ride..never happened in the books.

You should read up on the Silmarillion, it is my favorite Tolkein book. It is a collection of related stories about the creation of and First Age, or Elder days, of Middle Earth. I mean the story is fantasy, so if that turns you off you might as well just skip everything to do with this.

Not sure if this has been said, but I'm seeing reports that it's going to be a prequel to Fellowship.

There is like 9000 years of Middle Earth history preceding the end of the Third age, literally all of middle earth history is prequel.

Right, but I interpret that to mean it's between the Hobbit and Fellowship. If it were earlier in the history, I think they would have said prequel to the Hobbit.

Right, but I interpret that to mean it's between the Hobbit and Fellowship. If it were earlier in the history, I think they would have said prequel to the Hobbit.

I hope not, there is really nothing there to tell. Now the time leading up to the Hobbit, like the fall of Arnor and The Witch King stuff would be awesome.

VN Store

Back