4K Ultra HD Players?

CagleMtnVol

Okay with Best Buy & Walmart now having released their Black Friday Ads it looks like my wait for fully making the switch to 4K is about over.

As BB has several players for under $150 and both BB & WM has one unit each at $100.

My question for those that have already made the switch do you know anything about any of these players?

I'm really looking for one that is good at playing 4K discs don't really care about how good it streams or if it plays 3D Discs.

Most of these players usually list for upwards of $200/250+

I've heard some good things about this UBP-X800 Sony at Best Buy.

Best Buy

Sony - UBP-X800 - Streaming 4K Ultra HD 3D - $149.00
Sony - UBP-X800 - 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player

Samsung - UBD-M7500 - Streaming 4K Ultra HD - $127.99
Samsung - UBD-M7500 - 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player

LG - UP875 4K Ultra HD 3D Blu-ray Player - $99.99
LG - UP875 - 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player

LG - UP970 - 4K Ultra HD 3D - $149.99
LG UP970 - 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player

Walmart

LG - UP870 - 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player - $99.00
LG UP870 - 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player

Been waiting for these to drop in price. Time to pull the trigger. I'm thinking about the Samsung. What's your opinion Cagle

Been waiting for these to drop in price. Time to pull the trigger. I'm thinking about the Samsung. What's your opinion Cagle

Well the one and only Blu-ray player I own is a Samsung BD-C5500 and have never had any problems with it. I've had it for probably 6-7 years now.

However based on what folks are saying in the Blu-ray.com 4K forums I think I'm going to go with the Sony at Best Buy. I really didn't want to spend that much but if your going to pay $100 might as well pay the extra $50 for one that is top of the line. The original price was $299.99

Everyone there seems to think its the best bang for your buck and its supposedly one of the better built models and its a beast at a little over 8lbs. (Folks says it reminds of them of the old school players like the VHS & DVD players when they first came out with how heavy it is.

I looked up some reviews on YouTube and most of them really like them. Saying its one of the quickest loading 4K players out there. The one drawback seems to be the navigation screen.

One thing about the Sony is that it will also play Blu-ray 3D discs for those with 3D HDTVs and it also has 2 HDMI ports.

One complaint and this appears to go with all makes/models is it doesn't have a a LED screen on it so you have to use the remote to popup run time etc..

Best Buy will also have some 4K titles for $9.99 (25 Titles) and others $14.99 (70 Titles) on Black Friday (Thanksgiving night).

Reactions: 1 person
Costco had Samsung 4K players for like $179 when I was there last weekend.

Bought the LG 4k player. Didn't go for the smart player because my TV is the 4k smart TV

I've got both the Samsung k8500 and Sony UBX800. Both do a fine job spinning 4k discs but the Sony has better processing. Not only better processing, it also spins SCAD discs (for the music listeners). I prefer the Sony hooked up to the projector and also use dual HDMI (one for video and run separate for audio). For those interested in DolbyVision, neither one has that capability. I believe the only player that offers DV (at the moment is Oppo).

I've got both the Samsung k8500 and Sony UBX800. Both do a fine job spinning 4k discs but the Sony has better processing. Not only better processing, it also spins SCAD discs (for the music listeners). I prefer the Sony hooked up to the projector and also use dual HDMI (one for video and run separate for audio). For those interested in DolbyVision, neither one has that capability. I believe the only player that offers DV (at the moment is Oppo).

Would be nice to own a Oppo! Maybe if I ever win the lottery. :)

Keep them spinning! My latest addition is Dunkirk - great audio. Haven't counted lately but know that I'm well over a hundred UHD discs. And I don't even have a 4k player hooked up tom my 4k tv - Sammy is in the closet and the Sony is hooked up to my projector. Mainly buy the 4k discs for the enhanced audio (Atmos & DTS:X).

Keep them spinning! My latest addition is Dunkirk - great audio. Haven't counted lately but know that I'm well over a hundred UHD discs. And I don't even have a 4k player hooked up tom my 4k tv - Sammy is in the closet and the Sony is hooked up to my projector. Mainly buy the 4k discs for the enhanced audio (Atmos & DTS:X).

:) Mine's not either as soon as I got the Sony I wanted to just check it out so I hooked it up to 42" Vizio HD in the living room and its still there.

Eventually I'll hook it up to my 55" Phillips 4K upstairs but the Sony is a lot bigger than the small Sanyo Blu-ray player currently hooked to it and it want fit in the same spot so I'll need a bigger TV stand before then.

I think some of those blue ray players give an unrealistic picture. I like a more natural look in some movies, especially war movies. I think they produce them to an unrealistic quality.

I think some of those blue ray players give an unrealistic picture. I like a more natural look in some movies, especially war movies. I think they produce them to an unrealistic quality.

Keep in mind that a lot of directors now use filters when filming so it gives the picture a bluish or sepia tent take Wonder Woman in the Special Features they mention during the No Man's Land scene the smoke they are using is actually colored Blue so with the filters they are using on film it comes across as Black or dark gray.

Take the recently released Dunkirk for example.

Here is part of the review for that film from Blu-ray.com on the films Video quality.

Dunkirk was shot by Hoyte Van Hoytema, with whom Christopher Nolan first worked on Interstellar. As noted in the introduction, the movie was shot on film with a combination of IMAX 65 and Panavision 65 cameras, yielding a large-format negative, which has been scanned at 4K for this 1080p, AVC-encoded Blu-ray. Color correction was performed under Nolan's supervision, and the master went through numerous passes before he was satisfied with the image. At Nolan's express direction, the disc was mastered with a much higher average bitrate than is typical of Warner's major new titles—specifically, 33.26 Mbps, with peaks that reach substantially higher. To ensure a generous bitrate, the extensive extras have been placed on a separate BD-25.

Dunkirk was released to theaters in multiple aspect ratios, including 2.39:1 for standard 35mm projection, 2.20:1 for 70mm exhibition and both 1.43:1 and 1.90:1 for IMAX venues. For the film's Blu-ray and UHD renditions, the director has chosen a shifting aspect ratio in which scenes filmed in IMAX appear at 1.78:1, while scenes filmed in Panavision 65 are framed at 2:20:1. Nolan has previously applied shifting aspect ratios to other films, including the Dark Knight Trilogy, and the practice remains controversial. Some viewers find it unacceptably distracting, while others barely notice it. I fall somewhere in the middle, but the shifting aspect ratio has played no part in the disc's video score.

Dunkirk arrives on Blu-ray with a superb 1080p image, beautifully detailed and sharply resolved. You can see tiny patterns in the sand on the beaches and shifting textures caused by wind blowing the sea foam. The meticulous production and costume design are minutely rendered, as are the scared and weary faces of the soldiers massing on the shore. In the air, the Spitfires and other planes are vividly reproduced, as is, in the sea below, the Moonstone's weathered deck and cozy decor. Scenes of chaotic scrambling to get onto departing ships, and then to get off them when they are crippled by bombs or a torpedo, remain clearly delineated with the action distinctly defined. Dunkirk isn't a particularly colorful film, but the Blu-ray does a fine job (within the limits of Rec. 709's color space) of differentiating the film's many shadings of blue and brown in chilly waters of the Channel, the sands of the beach, the brown bomber jackets of the Spitfire pilots, the worn khaki of the soldiers' uniforms and the civilian wardrobe of the Moonstone's crew. The dark blue of Kenneth Branagh's naval overcoat stands out against the pier on which his commander is standing, contemplating disaster.

If your talking about older movies it has nothing to do with the player but how good the studios transfers are.

Also the the condition of the film negative etc.. for the film they are using. Most films are not going to be enhanced by cleaning of the negative etc.. Like older films like Casablanca, GWTW, Wizard of Oz etc.. that may go through a frame by frame restoration.

However sometimes you have play with the settings on both your TV & Player but I only recommend that if you are familiar with what your doing. I mostly leave mine to the factory setting.

Friendly reminder its Blu-ray not Blue-ray.

I think saving private ryan was a great example of a good produced video. I believe he shot with only 60% color which Gabe it a more earth tone, compared to pearl Harbor which I thought was too colorful.

Reactions: 1 person
Walmart is selling a Samsung(BD-JM63) 4k Blu Ray player for $89 now.

Walmart is selling a Samsung(BD-JM63) 4k Blu Ray player for $89 now.

I don't think that this is a true native 4K player. It does 4K upscaling however I'm not sure it would even play 4K UltraHD discs as I couldn't find the UltraHD Blu-ray logo anywhere on it.

VN Store

Back