Arrival w/ Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner

Aliens arrive. China decides to start shooting. Aliens manipulate time. China doesn't start shooting. Amy Adams cries.

Reactions: 1 person
So Louise meets Ian for the first time at the alien charade party? And Louise has views into her future about her daughter? So you kinda assume that Ian and Louise got jiggy after the party and had Hannah who later died. But when Louise grabs Ian immediately after the aliens depart she tells him she had forgotten how good it felt to be in his arms.

Which came first?

At that point in the movie they had not had a child. But I think for her at the end of the movie there isn't a "first" anymore. Like their daughters name. Hannah is the same backwards as it is forwards. So is time for Louise.

She gained all the benefits from learning the alien language and viewed time as non linear like they did. So she could experience the joys of family, the sadness of their child's death, and eventual separation even though none of that had happened in what we view as time. I think it's supposed to be deeper than just "seeing the future."

She knew what would happen if they had a child, but she chose to have that experience anyway. He ended up leaving her when she revealed to him how she viewed time and knew that their child would die.

Last edited:
Amy Adams got to see the future and somehow retained the memory of it all when nobody else did.

Just saw it. Good movie. A lot of themes going on... and maybe I’m just politically minded but I thought there were political themes. Obviously the part about communication, and media obfuscation. But also about life... a mom who knew the fate of her daughter but had her anyway because it was a life worth living. Which is the human experience anyway. We all ultimately know our fate, but we stick it out anyway, because life is worth living.

Of course coming out of Hollywood I’m sure that’s not the intended point, but it was made nonetheless

Amy Adams got to see the future and somehow retained the memory of it all when nobody else did.

She’s the only one who really learned the language. Remember the part where Renners character asked her about the theory where immersing in a language changes the way you think... that’s what she did and by doing so was able to see through time.

Just saw it. Good movie. A lot of themes going on... and maybe I’m just politically minded but I thought there were political themes. Obviously the part about communication, and media obfuscation. But also about life... a mom who knew the fate of her daughter but had her anyway because it was a life worth living. Which is the human experience anyway. We all ultimately know our fate, but we stick it out anyway, because life is worth living.

Of course coming out of Hollywood I’m sure that’s not the intended point, but it was made nonetheless

I actually think that was their exact intent, considering they all but stated exactly that in the closing moments of the film.

VN Store

Back